B.A.R.F

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
couter

B.A.R.F

Postby couter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:33 pm

Any one feed their dog the barf diet?

I started my dog a couple weeks ago, she loves it. An I've started noticing a difference.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:35 pm

I do about a half-raw diet, and definitely notice a difference. Would do all-raw, were it not for lack of food space.

couter

Postby couter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:10 pm

isn't 1/2 raw bad cause it softens the bones, and can cause them to splinter.

Hondovious

Postby Hondovious » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:38 pm

There are lots of threads about feeding raw in the health section. Just do a search for raw or barf and you will get tons of info. :thumbsup:

couter

Postby couter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:40 pm

already got the info I needed just was curious to who on here actually does it

Hondovious

Postby Hondovious » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:43 pm

couter wrote:already got the info I needed just was curious to who on here actually does it

Quite a few people.. I have been doing it for about a month now, and my dog loves it! He was on Timberwolf before, the most notable differences have been that he now has zero gas, and there is less to clean up after and it is easier to do. :thumbsup:

couter

Postby couter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:37 pm

yeah my dog was on solid gold and she hasn't exploded any nasty gas so far like unlike normal.

aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby aaron kahn » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:51 am

I tried kibble for about six months with Bunker- he never did well on it. He has been eating raw for 6-7 years now, and Luna ever since we got her 2+ years ago. All of our foster dogs go straight on raw as well. I've never had ANY problems with a dog adjusting to a straight changeover. I think one foster didn't eat her first meal, but that was the only one she missed!

Maybe once or twice a year Bunker or Luna will vomit up some little bones. My sister, who has Portuegese Water Dogs, is hardcore about her canine nutrition- her dogs get all kinds of different bones, but will vomit them up more often. This is just because some of them are bigger, I think. She feeds lamb, beef, turkey, chicken, etc. We pretty much just feed chicken (with all the veggies, oils, organ meats, eggs, etc.).

Happy dogs eat bones!

couter

Postby couter » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:31 am

Yeah I feed my dog lamb beef chicked eggs pork bones she gets the works and loves it. She wasn;t really eating her dry food all that well.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm

The boxer we are trying to place went onto raw the first day we had her. She's never had an ounce of trouble. Last night I introduced some whole chicken parts and she chewed it fine. My pug, who's on straight raw and has been for years, STILL tries to swallow whole parts without chewing. He's such a greedy bastard.........He will make me worry occasionally, it took him 4 tries to adequatly chew a chunk of chicken ribs last night. Sigh.

couter

Postby couter » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:19 pm

my dog just started pooping white? Anyone have this before?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:25 pm

My dog is on half and half. My other dog is on all raw. I plan on switching the youngest over all the way as soon as I get a freezer.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:35 pm

White poop means lots of bone. That's normal. Goliaths poops are mostly white 90% of the time. He's a hard core chewer and will work on a bone till it's gone. I make him stop at night since it drives me nuckin futs.

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:25 am

I'll be going to the library next week to pick up some of the barf/raw books you guys recommended...

do these books have any guides as to how much to feed your dog..and what kind of stuff...recipes...etc? I for one would be lost as to what to give my dog and how much of it...

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:37 am

barbponys wrote: I make him stop at night since it drives me nuckin futs.

lol nice pat. rod's a chewer too. i hate that noise w/ a passion and it keeps me awake no matter how far away from me he is.

i think its about time rod gets on the raw diet. although he's been doing extremely well on wellness fish and SP. it's only because i'm lazy and havent gotten around to figuring out portions/ingredients and all that stuff.

Return to “Health Issues”