New grain-free dog food!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: New grain-free dog food!

Postby heartbullies » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:30 pm

Libby wrote:Gosh, I might just have to get a Costco card and make the trip into Albuquerque. I could totally see myself buying four bags at a time of that and being happy lol

Right now I'm spending nearly $50 on one bag, and almost $40 on the other!

And the $20 dog beds! With cedar chips, removable covers, and (usually) decor-friendly patterns and colors! I also got Booker a HUGE bottle of salmon oil there and other supplements.

I don't have a Costco club card either but once or twice a year I go with a friend to stock up on these dog deals.
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Noriko525 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Hmmm... Do I dare try this?!?!

My poor *allergic to being alive* girl Pearl has had a HORRID bout with allergies this year and Ive been contemplating going raw when we run out of this bag of food (Nature's Variety.) I wanted to try grain free but was worried about it breaking the bank so.. maybe I shall try this before I cave and do raw (main reason for no raw is no freezer space.)

I really am tempted to give this food a try and see if Pearl can tolerate it.............
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:11 pm

it has a LOT of starch and other sutff in there I would worry about for highly alergic dogs
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby barefootxen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Hm. Does it come in smaller quantities?

I'm hesitant to switch since the last time I did so, Xen broke out in hives, but I've tried all of the grain-free formulas my local pet store carries and would really like to try something besides TOTW.
barefootxen
Adolescent Bully

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:51 pm

and that's where my hesitation lies...

If the food doesn't agree with her.. no problem, Treyce can finish the bag.. that dog could live off of tin cans if he had to, no allergies or sensativities to anything. What I CANNOT afford to have happen though, is an ear infection (which is how she reacts -within hours- to a food allergy.) I am so so so so so desperate to try something new though. Her allergies have been absolute HELL to deal with this year and I'm doing everything skin wise that I can so its boiling down to the possibility of her having deleloped a mild allergy to the food she's done so great on for the past 2 years. I'm definitely not convinced its a food allergy that has her stinking up an entire room (she's already on prescribed yeast pills for it.. no worries people) and she's hairless around her eyes/nose/armpits...from what I've ready- that's typically an "environmental" allergic reaction. We have shampoos, we wash blankets and dog every week... I'm just so desperate... I really want to see if a new food helps her. *sigh* I don't know what to do.

Anyone with a really bad allergy dog eating this food and care to share your experience with me?
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby suzi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:02 pm

barefootxen wrote:Hm. Does it come in smaller quantities?

I'm hesitant to switch since the last time I did so, Xen broke out in hives, but I've tried all of the grain-free formulas my local pet store carries and would really like to try something besides TOTW.

FYI,,,,
Costco will let you return it if dosen't work for you.....
suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Amie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Hey, Steph, they didn't have it at my Costco. Ship me a bag, would you? I promise I'll make you a unicorn with a flowing mane!
Amie
Regulator

Postby NorCalRose » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Our dogs are currently on Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato. One of my dogs had allergic reactions in the past. Ear infections, rash and sores between his toes. He has been on Wellness for a year and has been symptom free. I supplement with home made meals and add home made to the kibble for variety.

I did an ingredient comparison and bought a bag of Costco's Natures Domain and will be switching my dogs over. I like to do this slowly over at least a week and a half.

I will post results. Cross your fingers this could save me $20 per bag. We could use the break in dog food costs (hubby laid off) but sure don't want to put the dog through a reaction and me through another Vet bill. :pray
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Nature's Domain -- Costco food

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:22 pm

For those of you that feed Kirkland, have any of you seen this food in your local Costco yet?

http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/abo ... res-domain

I saw it today on the shelf and figured I'd research a bit before I switched my dogs over. The ingredients look good to me and I REALLY LIKE that it's grain-free but only 24% protein. I am of the belief that dogs don't need 42% protein like most grain-free foods have.

Anyway, my Costco is selling it for $28 for a 35lb bag, which is surprisingly reasonable for what seems to be a great quality of food, and only about $6 more per bag than the Kirkland Chicken & Rice. It is 5lbs less food per bag, but that's not too awful since I wouldn't have to give additional fish oil anymore if my dogs were eating a fish-based food.
RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:25 pm

Ok, that post was actually a new thread I'd started, not an actual post in this thread. Just wanted to clarify! Thanks to whoever moved my post so I'd see this thread. I'm curious to see how people like this food after their dogs have been on it for a while.

FYI, the website link in my previous pose does say the food is made by Diamond.
RuffMuttK9z

Postby Noriko525 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:11 am

went to my local Costco the other day and they were not selling it. Going to have to try a different one....
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby akaspaddero » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:21 am

Out Costco doesn't have it either :-(
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby Noriko525 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:01 pm

Ok.. now I'm confused.

Karla sent a letter to the Costco asking why the food is not available in Western, WA (we ARE where Costco is based out of, SHEESH!!!!) and this is what they said to her...

Dear Karla,

Thank you for your email inquiring about Nature’s Domain. At this time Costco Wholesale is testing this food in the Bay Area only. However, we know from experience how important the suggestion box is at the Costco buildings. Member requests carry more weight at Costco than any other retailer in the country. We know there are others like you in the Washington area that have already used the suggestion box, so who knows, maybe they will bring Nature’s Domain to your Costco sometime in the New Year.

So.. I came on here to update the thread and tell non-San Fran people to stop looking for it... and then I noticed that RuffMuttz saw it at her Costco and she's located in Texas?

Confused.
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby msvette2u » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17 pm

We don't have it yet here either. We do have a Senior Kirkland that looks interesting but our senior eat the regular Kirkland Chicken/rice.
I do have to say, the brands sold at Costco are much superior to the ones found at Sam's Club. I visited a Sams' in NY when visiting my daughter and they had crap for dog food.
msvette2u

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:51 pm

We're on the east coast, and will be checking our Costco.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues