What kind of Dog Food does everyone use?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby phez718 » Tue May 18, 2004 8:19 am

Well, when I get my dog, he will be on Wellness. My friend works at a pet store that carries it and gets a 20% discount, so thats a plus :thumbsup:
phez718

Postby mad4bullies » Tue May 18, 2004 10:43 pm

My dogs' diet:

11am. 450 grams ox heart

7pm. 250 grams lean beef mince with cupful Royal Canin.

3am (when i finish work!) 1/2 tin tuna.

They both seem to love the food and are doing great on it. :thumbsup:
mad4bullies

Postby barbponys » Wed May 19, 2004 5:05 pm

Chalkline,
This is my take on this food. I don't trust the Nutro company to start with so make of it what you will.
With some of the ingredient in the Nutro Ultra I wonder about the price. There are 4 grain sources, 2 of them fractions, which means cheap and low grade(usually). Two meat protein sources and an unspecified fat source. Poultry fat can mean any kind of bird, and when it is unspecified it, again, is usually cheap. The grain out matches the meat protein so the high protein percentage is grain based and hard on the dog.

I have yet to find a dog food company rep that can give a good answer as to what "natural flavors" are.............read "enhancers". Makes it smell and taste yummy, no thanks. I don't like the addition of Tomato Pomace since tomato leaves and stalks are toxic if I'm not mistaken. They say it's a natural source of Lycopene yet they ADD lycopene to the food. Hmmm. Beet pulp is used to make their stools hard, it draws the liquid out which in turn tears the colon, their stools aren't meant to be tootsie rolls any more than ours are. Any way, this is what I see when I read the list.

There are a couple of good foods available in the Reno area, Timberwolf and Natures variety. Both make "All life stage" foods and are much better quality than the Nutro. They will cost more, a little anyway, but your baby will do better on them and they feed well. JMO.

Pat

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice Bran, Lamb Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural source of Linoleic Acid), Ground Rice, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural source of Linoleic Acid), Flaxseed (natural source of Alpha-Linolenic Acid), Natural Flavors, Beet Pulp, Alfalfa (natural source of Chlorophyll), Salmon Meal (natural source of DHA), Oatmeal, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Fish Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural source of DHA), Cranberry, Dried Egg Product, Kelp (natural source of Iodine), Taurine, Bacillus Lichenformis Fermentation Extract, Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, L-Carnitine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Garlic (natural source of Selenium), Marigold Extract (natural source of Lutein), Lycopene.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby chalkline » Sun May 23, 2004 6:45 am

Thanks for the input...that opened my eyes a little bit. I think I may have found a place right near me that sells Wellness so I am going to check it out tomorrow. If they do I will probably switch to that. From what I've read on the forum alot of people like the wellness. Thanks again
chalkline

Previous

Return to Health Issues