Hope - Fight dog recovering in WA

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Hope - Fight dog recovering in WA

Postby MrClean » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:37 pm

I've not gotten around to posting about our latest foster here because I've been posting in other non-dog forums to help raise awareness to the dog fighting problems that everybody on this forum are more than aware of.

We'd been fostering Penny (http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=121392) for Bullseye dog rescue (http://www.bullseyerescue.org/) for a while - she's posted somewhere in this section, btw. She got adopted just before Christmas and we had intended to take some time off for the holidays, school and just reconnect with Cody (our resident dog). Well, the rescue called with a very special request.

Back in October there was a dog fight bust in Graham, WA. 22 dogs were seized and all but 5 had to be euthanized as I understand it. Hope is one of those 5. But her injuries and complete lack of vet care are the reason that the likes of Michael Vick don't deserve to play in the NFL in my opinion. She is a sweet girl but has no socialization nor any training. She's lived her entire 4 to 6+ years on a chain outdoors used as a breeder and probably a bait dog. She has, in addition to tons of scarring, lack of any kind of crate training, potty training, obedience or even socialization a leg that was broken or dislocated, numerous teeth that were broken and serious skin issues. None of which were ever properly attended to (big surprise...). Also, in the shelter, she was getting fat due to lots of treets + little walking. That's I guess a good problem to have :)

She walks in pain but is a complete trooper. She wants nothing more than to explore the world and crawl up in your lap. The rescue asked us to help for a number of reasons. First, given I work from home, I can help attend to her medical needs more readily as well as start crate training, etc. Second, and more importantly, her leg needed to be examined and figured out what to do with it. The concern was that it needed to be amputated so she could walk/live without pain. The problem was, they couldn't get that determination made without seeing a vet, they couldn't get her to a vet until she was out of the shelter and she couldn't get out of the shelter without a home (run-on sentence, I know...). The thought was that if her leg needed amputation and her other front leg was not strong enough, she would obviously be put to sleep to end her suffering. So to all this, my wife and I agreed to change our plans and took her in.

Just before Christmas she was finally examined by a vet and got the x-rays done. It was determined that her remaining front leg could bear her weight and the bad leg did in fact need to be amputated. The wrist joint was too far gone according to the vet to do anything with it. Her skin was just bad nutrition and has since cleared up with a regular quality kibble + salmon oil. She also needed to have 9 teeth extracted, not to mention the obvious spay.

So in the beginning of this year she had the extractions and spay done and on Monday (2/1/10) went in for her leg amputation. According to the vet yesterday, she's recovering well. She's been walking in her crate a little to get to her water, so they expect she'll come home in a day or so.

As for her socialization, things have been slowly improving. She has had, as mentioned, no training or socialization and we've been working on, well, all of it. We first did the 2 week 'shut down' procedure posted somewhere here on the forums, though for only about a week. We then let Cody wander into her room while she was in the crate. Over time, we got them to walk around the block together and about 2 weeks ago, after much work, she and Cody started playing off leash! She really is not aggressive at all, but still is learning doggy language and sometimes thinks play is turning into 'something more'. We're working on teaching her that level, and she's learning... slowly.

We're also teaching her basic obedience (sit, down, etc). All of this will eventually culminate to her being put up for adoption by bullseye; hopefully in a month or so. It's been a long slog and it's not over yet, but she's really coming out of her shell. Here's a bunch of pics:

First couple of days of her here - notice how stressed her face is:

Walking around the yard after a quick walk (she does NOT live on a chain anymore; I just dropped the leash to get the camera):

Close-up of her bad leg:

3 weeks later; the day after her spay/teeth extractions (in her crate) - notice the facial expressions on her!:

And the 2 last weeks playing outside with Cody!

Chillin' dog:

Happy dog!:

You can find more information about the situation at Bullseye:
http://www.bullseyerescue.org/fightdogs.htm

I'll try to remember to update this thread as things progress - both with status and pic, sorry it's taken so long, wanted to really help raise awareness and eveybody here really knows of the problem more than some of the other boards I'm on.

-MC
Last edited by MrClean on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Re: Hope - Fight dog recovering in WA

Postby MrClean » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 pm

For some reason, the board is showing the pics a bit too large, so if you want, just check out my photobucket gallery:
http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/ejvanals/HopePics/
MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Postby bigbadbully » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:41 pm

:inlove: she is gorgeous. thanks for helping this sweet soul.
bigbadbully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:49 am

thanks so much for helping this sweet girl, that life is now OVER!!!!
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:45 am

She looks like such a sweet girl. Thank you for opening up your heart and home for her.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kirstan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:54 pm

CUTE!!!
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Angela Adams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:38 pm

julie64 wrote:She looks like such a sweet girl. Thank you for opening up your heart and home for her.

x2!! :bowdown:
Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Angela Adams wrote:
julie64 wrote:She looks like such a sweet girl. Thank you for opening up your heart and home for her.

x2!! :bowdown:

Wow.. another.. THANK YOU for giving her this chance to be a real dog. She looks so damn sweet I just want to cry for all she must of went thru.. thank you old dog men and young jerkos who think abuse is fun and cool.. :sad:
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby MrClean » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Minor update on the little girl: Her amputation surgery on Monday went well according to the vet. She was already up and walking around in her crate a little by the end of the day to get water. They've kept her for the past few days for post-op recovery and currently expect her to head back to us tomorrow (Thursday). Original plans were for her to be home today, but they wanted to keep her 1 more day for whatever reason - probably just to make sure there are no complications.

I'll post updated pics when she's home.
-MC

oh, you'll find this a bit disturbed: Apparently the alleged dogfighter petitioned the court to get his dogs back saying they were "show dogs"! Yes... show dogs... He was thankfully denied.
MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:11 am

Thank you so much...so much for taking her in and showing her exactly how she should be treated. Poor girl.

MrClean wrote:oh, you'll find this a bit disturbed: Apparently the alleged dogfighter petitioned the court to get his dogs back saying they were "show dogs"! Yes... show dogs... He was thankfully denied.

Our foster-Resi was severly beaten and neglected by her owner. The case against him was initially "resolved programmatically" (whatever the hell that means), but I just went and looked at it-he is going to be charged with Felony animal cruelty! I am so happy. I'm seriously considering going to the hearing. We have to wait to put her up for adoption though, incase he appeals. He has to give up his right to this "property" and then they're also pushing for him to not be allowed to own another animal again.

http://www.voicesforellacf.org/
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby rambler72 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:56 pm

MrClean wrote:Minor update on the little girl: Her amputation surgery on Monday went well according to the vet. She was already up and walking around in her crate a little by the end of the day to get water. They've kept her for the past few days for post-op recovery and currently expect her to head back to us tomorrow (Thursday). Original plans were for her to be home today, but they wanted to keep her 1 more day for whatever reason - probably just to make sure there are no complications.

I'll post updated pics when she's home.
-MC

oh, you'll find this a bit disturbed: Apparently the alleged dogfighter petitioned the court to get his dogs back saying they were "show dogs"! Yes... show dogs... He was thankfully denied.

wow, looking forward to updated pictures, she has the sweetest most forgiving face.

One look at her and the courts would know the previous owners dogs were NOT show dogs. That is disgusting!!

What are her plans for the future? Will she stay with you?
rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby MrClean » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:06 pm

rambler72 -
The current plan is to let her go for adoption. We almost failed with Bella (posted somewhere on this board) as she was our first foster & just a great dog. If we hadn't let her go nor Penny, we wouldn't have been able to have this opportunity to help Hope, so the plan now is to let her go to a great home assuming one can be found. We have a 2 dog limit in our house, so if we keep her, we can't help others.

So... here are some quick pics from this morning; sorry about how crappy they are. She came home last night and is happily chewing on a frozen kong as I type this. There is some seepage from her wound that we're letting drain hence the bloody pillows. The vet, as you can see did not take the shoulder, just below it and wrapped muscle around the end apparently as a bit of a pad. Don't know the logic behind it, but whatever it was, that's how it was done.

As for her, she's back to her bouncy, happy self. I have her crated at the moment because of the seepage and because she keeps trying to play with Cody which is a no-no right now. And I say she keeps trying cause Cody is doing very well with the 'leave it' command, but she keeps egging him on to try to get him to play. Course, I wonder how much the drugs help :))
And she's moving around just fine; not so sure about down the stairs yet, but runs around the house & yard like a trooper.

So enough babbling for the moment, here's some pics of the little girl from this morning:

MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:28 pm

That poor girl, I hope she recovers fast. Thanks for taking care of her, she sounds like a real gem.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:40 pm

She looks really good. I thought it'd be way worse. I don't know what I imagined but I definitely thought there would be a huge bandage :) Crazy imagination I guess.

I'm sure it hurts, but I bet it feels better than that leg.

I wonder if amputee dogs have phantom pains like people do in the extremities that are removed.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby MrClean » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:44 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:I wonder if amputee dogs have phantom pains like people do in the extremities that are removed.

There is a doberman in our neighborhood that has one of it's front legs amputated. I've spoken with the owner & said that for the first few months, he did. They had to amputate it due to some sort of injury (he was a rescue, not sure about his background), she said that for about 2 months he would occasionally whine when looking at it. After that, no issues. They also said he was aggressive due to the pain & now is just fine - I met him walking & he was quite sweet.

So I anticipate some phantom pains, but guess that's just how it's going to be. At least it won't be a constant pain like the leg.
MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs