Left side of face swollen...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Left side of face swollen...

Postby Daizy_73 » Wed May 19, 2004 12:53 pm

Ok I noticed last Sunday that my youngest (11 months) dog Zeus had a swollen/Hard place on the left side of his face, at the jawline. Took him the the vet (Where I work) in the morning and she took x-rays and it looks like soft tissue, but it's HARD. She then stuck a needle in it in various spots checking for an absess or hematoma, nothing came out. So then she put him on antibiotics for 10 days. The swelling went down, the hard lump is still there. He is schedueled to be neutered friday, and I requested a biopsy/exploratory done on his jaw at the same time. He eats fine, acts fine, just looks funny. Has anyone ever heard of this? This is the same dog who, when he throws up (once every motnh or two) passes out, gets up, then is fine. the vet concluded that was because he is retching so hard, he actually constricts the blood/air flow to his brain and passes out...then when he falls the pressure is released and he is fine...
I have no knowledge of his past or parentage, as he is a rescue brought in by AC severly emaciated one day and I adopted him.
I swear anything that can happen to my dogs does happen!
Daizy_73

Postby Daizy_73 » Thu May 20, 2004 6:48 pm

Ok guys, I griped until they did the surgery today...an abcess, a VERY deep one but not all that huge...but gosh it made his head swell up like a balloon last night!!! He didn't get neutered, they didn't want to do so much to him at one time, so that is schedueled for next friday. Poor guy looks so pitiful!!! He got a nice pain shot before he woke up so he is a bit sleepy, and is in his crate away from the others (Don't want them messing with it.) They didn't find the cause, so that is still a mystery, as there were no wounds, etc.
Daizy_73

Postby phez718 » Thu May 20, 2004 7:00 pm

Glad you figured out what it was, hope he gets better real soon! :)
phez718

Return to Health Issues