Kilo's hungry

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Kilo's hungry

Postby donblaze » Thu May 20, 2004 7:41 pm

I got a question reguarding kilo's diet. Its been nicee out and i've been gettin him in shape. He gettin jacked for sure but he has been going crazy for food lately. he just wants to eat all the time, he's 17 months old and knows dam well not to pick through the garbage and I catch him in it all the time and he begs like a syco. He gets a can of wet food and then I take the can fill it with dry food and thats his meal once a day. Should I feed him differently since hes been training 2 3 hours everyother day ? whats the deal with his acting so hungry all the time?
donblaze

Postby kendall » Thu May 20, 2004 9:41 pm

If he just started acting this way, he's probably burning off more stuff than he's taking in. If you step up his activity in the summer, you should also step up his food to compensate. It's unrealistic to expect him to be doing more work/exercise than usual on the same amount of food (as long as you weren't overfeeding in the first place).
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby abman » Thu May 20, 2004 10:23 pm

When my dogs are working really hard I usually feed them twice a day. Just dont feed too soon before or after exercise.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby barbponys » Thu May 20, 2004 10:42 pm

You didn't say how much he weighs or what size can of food you are feeding. If it's a 12-14 ounce can it's not enough. At 17 months they are doing some filling out as a general rule. With extra excersize he's no doubt burning more than he's putting in. What brand and formula of food are you feeding?

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby donblaze » Thu May 27, 2004 11:46 am

hey sorry I went away for a little while........kilo is 68 pounds 17 months old and eats a 12 oz can of pedigree and and then 12 ounces of dry food as well. I work a crazy schedule and alot of times there will be periods of 3 days where we dont get to work out buit we make up for it on the weekends. for the most part hes doin like 30- 45 minutes on a spingpole, walkin a mile or 2 every other day. when we have time well walk like 3 miles and he runs around crazy with his gf cookie until they both have nuthing left. is there a better diet for my boy????
donblaze

Postby barbponys » Thu May 27, 2004 11:59 am

Yeah, there are better foods for your boy. With all the excersize he's getting it sounds like he's not getting enough. Pedigree is all grain so you have to feed alot more of it to maintain weight, especially when they are growing still.

You might want to read some of the threads about foods. There's a lot of information in them. Not everyone agrees on WHAT to feed but it's pretty much agreed that Purina, Pedigree, Science Diet, Iams...are low grade. Wellness, Canidae, Timberworf, Innova, seem to be the front runners as far as dry food. Quite a few feed raw as well. Good luck.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby donblaze » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:18 am

thanks yall
donblaze

Return to Health Issues