Things to avoid feeding your dog!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby teddy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:40 pm

Thats a pretty good go by list...If reading the list and some are little iffy as to what to feed or not feed a dog...its probably better not to feed them anything that is meant for humans and not for dogs...

Just my .02 cents...better safe then sorry...
teddy
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:41 am

As though i wasn't sketchy enough about what my loonies eat! A lot of great information and the ASPCA toxin stuff is all now safely tucked away in my bookmarks! Thx.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby EchoDog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:06 pm

My mom grew some beets, and Echo LOVES them. Are those ok for dogs.

Mostly Echo just plays with them, and then if she bites into one, she looks at me like "why this taste like dirt?!?!" and then will shake the beet, and throw it and jump on it... she is hilarious

but seriously, are beets ok?
EchoDog
Newborn Bully

Postby racheroonie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Thank you this was very helpful. I was feeding my dog grapes but now I know to stop!
racheroonie
Newborn Bully

Postby Clayton4 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:14 pm

This is some good info but I'm up in the air about somethings. Like the above poster, I used to feed grapes all the time. The dogs love them. I talked to the vet and he said that grapes are not toxic to dogs. So I'm alittle between as of right now on somethings.
Clayton4
Newborn Bully

Re: Things to avoid feeding your dog!

Postby Biloxis Daddy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:30 pm

I knew about the apple seeds but that is because i had an Umbrella Cockatoo once and if we fed her fresh apples we had to remove the seeds for her on account of the cyanide. Yea i know whats an umbrella cockatoo doing in a pitty discussion board. lol
Biloxis Daddy
Newborn Bully

Postby shana78 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:57 pm

I have been researching the safety of giving Grape Seed extract to dogs. I could only locate one article....... However, I do know that grape seed extract is only from the seed of the grapes and the flesh is not used. It is typically a by product from wine makers

Courtesy of http://www.holisticpetinfo.com :

Grape seed extract (GSE) (Vitis Vinnifera) is an extract from grape seeds from red grapes. Grape seeds have a high content of compounds called oligomeric proanthocyanidins— better known as OPCs, which are potent antioxidants. Because of their simple chemical structure, OPCs are readily absorbed into the bloodstream.

Grape seed extract:

* Protects the body from premature aging and disease
* Supports healthy skin
* Promotes cellular health, elasticity, and flexibility
* Improves blood circulation by strengthening capillaries, arteries, and veins
* Reduces risk of cataracts
* Protects against cancer
* Provides cardiovascular support

Grape seed extract is especially beneficial to aging animals, and animals with cataracts, cancer and heart disease.

On the Safety of Grape Seed Extract: Grapes and raisins have been of much debate in the past few years. Here is a short quote from the Veterinary Information Network board posts ”Ingestion of grapes or raisins has been associated with acute renal failure in dogs. Anecdotal evidence suggests that cats may also be affected… Being a fructose sugar, it is quickly eliminated through the kidneys where it reaches high tissue levels. It then causes a certain cell “power house” called the mitochondria to open and allow calcium to enter.” This causes the mitochondria to stop functioning, therefore the death of the cell. “Recent unpublished data indicates that the toxic component is water soluble, and within the flesh of the grape/raisin, not the seed. Thus the current thinking is that grape seed may be safe to use.”

Grape seed is often found with antioxidant supplements used for human cancer treatments. The seed induces the cell deaths of highly replicating cancer cells. There was a study done on men with prostate carcinoma which showed approximately 90% inhibition of the pathways that induces the growth of the cancer cells.

The flavanoids in the seed are known to reduce inflammation, and support the immune system particularly with respiratory issues, allergies, and skin problems. It has been used in cats and dogs successfully without any reported problems.
shana78
Newborn Bully

Postby FXSTBI » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:37 pm

I think my dogs would go hungry if I followed that list. I guess you could consider me irresponsible. I actually give them a lot of cooked meat. On a lighter note, the chocolate thing, sometimes I think is a bunch of BS, not that I don't follow it but we also have a minature dachsund and this dog is still alive. Now i don't willingly give my dogs chocolate but on two occasions I really thought she would be dead. You know those World's finest chocolate bars they sell for fundraisers she ate three in one night to include most of the foil and wrapper. One year I got a homemade chocolate cake fo my birthday. My wife and daughter took me to dinner and we didn't have dessert since I had a birthday cake at home on the kitchen table ( it was in a fancy tupper ware container) We came home to find chocolate footprints all over the house and less than a slice of cake left. She was only about 9 lbs when both of these instances occured. The candy bars were my fault since I left them on the coffee table but I still don't know how she got on the kitchen table and took the lid off the cake. :bowdown: :bowdown:
FXSTBI
Newborn Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:56 am

bahamutt99 wrote:Originally posted by Pitmomma. Thought everybody should see this.

Items to avoid Reasons to avoid

Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat source Can cause obstruction or eslaceration of the digestive system.

Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems. Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms of chocolate. A 10-kilogram dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog unwell.

Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.

Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw fish Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

ETA:

White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.

Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.

Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

I printed this list, added the other info and stuck it up on my fridge. Not just for ME, but for my friends who come and hang out and like to feed my dog! That drives me crazy!!!!!!
RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby sookies_mama » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Vet told me to mix a raw egg in with her food (sooks was underweight), and I put milk in with it too (like doggy cerial) course she does have gas so perhaps I should stop that. So apple sauce is good? I freeze it and give her sauce cubes (loves it!) how about yogurt?
sookies_mama
Newborn Bully

Postby LifeisthePits » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:22 pm

sookies_mama wrote:Vet told me to mix a raw egg in with her food (sooks was underweight), and I put milk in with it too (like doggy cerial) course she does have gas so perhaps I should stop that. So apple sauce is good? I freeze it and give her sauce cubes (loves it!) how about yogurt?

Apple sauce? It would depend. If you're talking "regular" apple sauce then your tossing about 27 grams of pure sugar carbs per half cup. There are plenty of sugar free apple sauces out there which would be great. Or just chop up an apple, freeze the sections, and presto.

Having gas sounds like a reaction to the lactic acid in milk. AKA lactose intolerant (which a lot of dogs are). Yogurt would fall under the "milk" section above. They do make non-dairy yogurt that still has all the essential bacteria, but does not contain lactose, as it is not made with milk.

Jack
LifeisthePits
Newborn Bully

Postby sookies_mama » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Sugar free and organic apple sauce, I quite with the milk, and the gas has improved,still using yogurt, but mixed with stuff, and the gas has improved. Thanks for the tip about the yogurt tho! I just started the vegan thing and was really bummed about giving it up! lol Just ordered a whole case of pumpkin for dog digestion, looking forward to stuffing stuff with it too!
sookies_mama
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:15 pm

FXSTBI wrote:I think my dogs would go hungry if I followed that list. I guess you could consider me irresponsible. I actually give them a lot of cooked meat. On a lighter note, the chocolate thing, sometimes I think is a bunch of BS, not that I don't follow it but we also have a minature dachsund and this dog is still alive. Now i don't willingly give my dogs chocolate but on two occasions I really thought she would be dead. You know those World's finest chocolate bars they sell for fundraisers she ate three in one night to include most of the foil and wrapper. One year I got a homemade chocolate cake fo my birthday. My wife and daughter took me to dinner and we didn't have dessert since I had a birthday cake at home on the kitchen table ( it was in a fancy tupper ware container) We came home to find chocolate footprints all over the house and less than a slice of cake left. She was only about 9 lbs when both of these instances occured. The candy bars were my fault since I left them on the coffee table but I still don't know how she got on the kitchen table and took the lid off the cake. :bowdown: :bowdown:

The chocolate in both the bars and the cake was unlikely to be the un-sweetened baking type. The toxin in chocolate (theobromine) is from the cocoa...most commercial chocolate cars and cakes don't actually have that much real cocoa. I've seen chocolate poisoning before...not pretty.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Jellin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Eggs are fine for dogs and they love them. You can also feed chicken and poultry bones to dogs as long as they are RAW, and have no problems. Fish bones I'm not sure about.
Jellin
BANNED

Postby Timas Mom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:04 pm

A large mount of raw eggs would have to be fed to affect the biotin intake/absorption
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues