Dog not eating.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Dog not eating.

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 am

My 10 yr old female APBT is not eating and losing weight. She will just pick at her food.

We have tried adding wet food to her kibble (wellness) and it worked for a little while but now she has lost interest in that as well. I put some turkey in the mix the other day and she picked through and ate the turkey but nothing else.

We took her to the vet and they did a full bloodwork panel on her and everything appeared to be normal. The vet wanted to put her on Clomipramine Hydrochloride 50mg. Any thoughts or experience?

This dog is and always has been kind of neurotic. She is easily stressed and we just recently introduced our newborn baby into the household. That is when most of this started. She has been very good with the child but I don't know if it is just stressing her out too much.

Not sure what to do.

msvette2u

Re: Dog not eating.

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:10 am

Those can be some of the signs of kidney disease, did the vet run tests that would indicate that?

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:17 am

I thought that would be covered in the full blood panel but I'm not sure, I'll have to ask.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:19 am

Yes it seems like it would be.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 am

Sounds like it's possible that she is depressed - since you saw that vet and had a work up done on her, I would worry more about mental, personally.

Is she getting time with you that is just "her" time?

I assume that her routine (as well as your household) has had some major changes since the arrival of a newborn baby and that takes time to adjust, for everyone.

I would do my best to give her time with you alone and also try to incorporate her into baby time.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 am

Murfins wrote:Sounds like it's possible that she is depressed - since you saw that vet and had a work up done on her, I would worry more about mental, personally.

Is she getting time with you that is just "her" time?

I assume that her routine (as well as your household) has had some major changes since the arrival of a newborn baby and that takes time to adjust, for everyone.

I would do my best to give her time with you alone and also try to incorporate her into baby time.

x2 and incorporate the eating with the special time. Offer tons of treats and her kibble as rewards for the play and training time.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 am

That's the thing. We have been overly proactive in giving all three dogs plenty of attention. My wife is home from work for a while and they have actually been getting more walks and attention than even before. I hear so many people say, "Oh just wait till the baby comes you won't have time for those dogs" completely the opposite. They have gotten all kinds of attention. I've been giving each of them special one on one time as well.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:47 am

Hmm, well that doesn't seem like the most obvious cause then since she is getting lots of attention, BUT it could still be from the change in house. How long has this been going on with her not wanting to eat and losing weight? How long has the baby been home?

Did she have a SENIOR work up done (senior blood panel and urinealysis and I would add a chest x-ray)?

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 pm

maybe check her teeth, any cracks or sensitivity?

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I am getting desperate. My dog is down to skin and bones. She has had all blood-work done with no abnormal results teeth are fine. She is having an ultrasound tomorrow. And if they find nothing I am pretty sure we have then determined that this is the result of the newborn in our house as the non-eating started around the time we brought her home. The doctor put her on Clomipramine but it's been 2 weeks and I don't see any improvement.

The dog will occasionally eat cooked chicken breast and plain hamburger patties, but she's not eating enough to keep her alive. I feel like I am killing my dog.

I'm thinking my only option is to try to find her another home, but she is so high strung and if the stress of a baby caused her to stop eating, I doubt moving to a new house and surroundings would do her any good. I have tried everything to get her to eat. We've been spending a lot of alone time with her and she seems happy with us. She doesn't even have enough energy to go on walks.

I need help, I am desperate.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:38 pm

I think at this point, just give her whatever she's willing to eat.

Be it raw meat, boiled chicken, cooked meat.

Anything you can get in her.

patty

Postby patty » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Maybe pm Misskiwi67 or pblove and I'm hoping msvette2u sees your post again.

Is it possible for you to post your lab results so the members can see them? Another set of eyes never hurts.

I don't have any ideas other than what KittyNyanNyan said, just get whatever food you can into her till the ultrasound.

Praying your girl will get better soon :pray

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 am

Have you seen more than one vet?? Maybe it's time for a feeding tube until things can be figured out?

I am SO sorry you guys are (all of you) are going through this. *hugs*

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:37 am

Just dropped her off for the ultrasound. I should hear back early this afternoon.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Her insides are covered with cancer. We're going to spend the day with her tomorrow and then send her on her way to frisbees in heaven.

Return to “Health Issues”