Forever Families Needed for (temporarily) Special Needs Pups

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Forever Families Needed for (temporarily) Special Needs Pups

Postby Amie » Sat May 01, 2010 6:24 pm

This little sweetie came into BARCS today.
He weighs six pounds, and should be between fifteen and twenty. He's like a little skeleton. A skeleton with a heart, because he is a pit bull, and is still as sweet and gentle and loving as you could ever ask.
He came in with a buddy, who is much bigger, but still pretty bad off. Both have the same loving, sweet, social temperament, both are brindles that could be really stunning if they weren't so emaciated.

Can you help? Contact me or the link above if you could take them (or even one of them, though I'd like to see them together) into your home or your rescue.

(this is a cell phone photo - I'll try to get a real camera shot tomorrow)
Amie
Regulator

Re: Foster (and maybe forever home) Needed for Special Needs Pup

Postby Libby » Sat May 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Oh, my gosh...I want him.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby littleCloClo » Sat May 01, 2010 10:12 pm

OOoooh I wish I had a spot for them!
littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat May 01, 2010 10:15 pm

:pray for you little fellow!
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Sun May 02, 2010 5:29 am

I'm taking my lunch break today to try to get good photos. Honestly, I've seen some pretty bad-off dogs in the shelter, and been able to continue working, a little more pissed off at people, but just encouraged to work harder. I walked around the corner and saw these two puppies and nearly burst into tears. I couldn't get them out of my mind for the rest of the day, couldn't focus on work. Someone has to take care of these guys!
Amie
Regulator

Postby violet » Sun May 02, 2010 9:39 am

Amie, I have an excellent puppy foster home. WHat do you think would be the possibility of getting them here?
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sun May 02, 2010 4:21 pm

That breaks my heart. :sad: My Riley looked almost as bad when I found her. I wish this little boy and his friend the best of luck.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Sometimes the amazingness of my friends shocks even me. I got to work, was told a few hours later that the pups did have a foster home step up, and at the end of the day was called to the front... to see a friend of mine waiting to pick up the pups.
:headbang:

We do still need forever homes for them, and I did still spend my lunch hour crawling around on the floor with them and my friend Brian, with each of us trying to get pictures (if he sends me what he took, which is mostly me being completely overcome by twenty combined pounds and ten combined months of puppy, I'll post them up here, too). The brindle really hides the skeletal look in these photos, but really we're all pretty surprised how energetic they are - the little one in particular shouldn't be able to stand - he just has NO muscle. Anyway...

Meet Holden.
Holden is six months old, about fifteen pounds, and single. His likes are food, barking at people who don't refill his food fast enough, food, Harvey, food, and anyone who will let him shove his tongue down their throat or climb on their head.

And this is Harvey.

Harvey is a four month old, six pound stud. His likes are food, being able to stand without much assistance, food, soft pillows, Holden, and any human who will love him just a little bit.

Holden and Harvey were "found" by someone who reported it to Baltimore Animal Control. They are charmers, lovers, and total ladies men. Holden does have MINOR food resource guarding against other dogs (which is totally and completely understandable) but neither dog has any issues with people around their food. Even in their condition, I was able to take Holden away from Harvey's food bowl (to give him his own) without even a glimmer of anger from him.

Amie
Regulator

Postby Nickdawg » Sun May 02, 2010 5:51 pm

:crybaby: esp harvey...I am glad to hear they have a foster....

some people really really suck :po:
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: Forever Families Needed for (temporarily) Special Needs Pups

Postby Otis » Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 am

Poor babies! So glad they have a foster.

It is amazing how much energy pups in such awful condition can have...Harper was a testament to that!
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon May 03, 2010 11:46 am

<---speechless
Some people
disgusting
heart breaking
speechless again

If you can get the mailing address of the foster home that took them in I'd really like to send them something. If they don't want to give it to some random person, I can mail it to you. I might still have your address from the Christmas Card exchange.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Amie » Mon May 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Well, we're back to needing a foster. Holden (the bigger pup) had a rough night (involving screaming) and is back at the shelter. Harvey - the smaller, sicker pup - is still at the foster home, so he's okay. My guess is a foster home for Holden would need to be able to do very frequent (even overnight) small feedings, and various other work (similar to therapy for separation anxiety) to help repair his wounded mind and soul from some obviously severe neglect.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue May 04, 2010 9:55 am

All I can do is pray for these pups so that's what I'll do. I wish I had some resources for them.
Good luck Harvey and Holden. I think you're in the best place you can be for now. I hope you get a new foster Holden!
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby NorCalRose » Tue May 04, 2010 1:13 pm

If he were in California, I'd foster him! This stuff just makes me ill. Poor little guy deserves a safe place.
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby Amie » Sat May 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Harvey has repeatedly tested negative, but unfortunately, Holden passed away from Parvo this weekend. I'm so glad that his last days were in a safe place, with food, and attention, and affection and love.

Harvey is still in need of a forever home - please contact BARCS if you're interested in the little guy!
Amie
Regulator

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs