need help m,aking a GOOD application!! please!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

need help m,aking a GOOD application!! please!

Postby Dresden » Mon May 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi guys,

I got a call on Penelope tonight! Not sure how it will pan out, it was just a chat and i'm expecting a call back to see if they couple wants to go forward in the process of meeting/applying..etc. I realized I am no longer with a certain rescue and that I need to create a good SOLID application for her.

Unlike my past foster pits she does have small animal aggression issues and is not 100% trained. I was wondering if other people here had anything good to add to basic app questions? what is most important to you before meeting/or aside from meeting the person? I'm currently trying to look up APBT rescue sites for more ideas.
Dresden
Newborn Bully

Re: need help m,aking a GOOD application!! please!

Postby Dresden » Mon May 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Heres what I have so far, the bulk from http://www.outofthepits.org/AdoptionForm.html - tweaked a bit.
What do you think?

We always have an adoption agreement thats signed by the adoptee & I, for legal reasons but thats the same in each case.

We're happy that you are interested in adopting our American Pit Bull Terrier, and we want to provide you with a dog that is well matched to your situation. Understandably, we also want to provide her with the very best home possible. To that end, we have compiled a detailed questionnaire to help us with our endeavor. Yes, it is long, and will take some time to complete. We hope that you think its well worth the effort. Please answer every question. If any of the questions are left unanswered the application may not be accepted.

Please complete the following information:
First Name: Last Name

Street Address:
City: State: Zip code:

What is your home telephone number ( ) - _____-________
What is your work telephone number ( ) - _____-________
What is your mobile telephone number ( ) - _____-________
E-mail address: ______________________

Please circle the following answer that best fits, feel free to elaborate!
At present I am: Employed full time Employed part time

Unemployed Retired Student

Do you have a fenced in yard? YES NO
Do you have a kennel area? YES NO
How high is your fence? Less than 4ft. 4ft 6ft 8ft or higher
Do you own or rent your home? OWN RENT

Answer the following ONLY if you rent!
Does your landlord allow dogs? YES NO
Does your landlord ban any breeds of dogs? YES NO
If yes please explain, ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please provide the name and phone contact information for your landlord.
Name: ___________________________________________
( ) - _____-_________ [ ] Home [ ] Mobile [ ] Work
This is ONLY used to verify it is safe and legal to have a dog on the property.

Applicant (you),
Including yourself, how many adults (18yrs & older) live in the home? ___
How many children? ____ Age of the youngest child? ____
If you don’t presently have children, will you keep the dog if you decide to?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Are there pets In the household? YES NO
If yes, Please list the species, size, sex and age of each pet
• ______________________________________________________

Which sex of dog would you prefer? MALE FEMALE
What are the qualities you like in this breed?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Are you familiar with the characteristics of the breed?

Where will this dog spend the day?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Where might this dog spend it’s night? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

About how many hours per day might this dog be alone? _______________

What made you interested in adopting this dog? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Are you willing to work with us or a trainer should problems arise?
YES NO NOT SURE

A fourth sheet is attached so you may provide two non related references that we may check. This information is ONLY used for THIS adoption. The references will NEVER be contacted for any other reason or by any other person than the foster parent.

Additional Questions?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adoptee:
Name:_____________________

Signature:_________________________
In the absence of my signature, by submitting this form to Penelope’s foster parent. I certify that all the above information is correct; that the dog I adopt will reside in my home as a pet; that I will consistently provide the dog with proper nutrition, water, training, attention, medical care and my love and affection; I will treat this dog kindly and not subject it to cruelty or abuse. I also understand that I will pay a non-refundable adoption fee of _______________________ ($_____) to the foster parent at the time of adoption. I also certify that in the event I cannot keep the dog I will inform the foster parent for approval of new home OR relinquish ownership to the foster parent.
Dresden
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Mon May 03, 2010 11:35 pm

I know you are not "re-homing" but check out http://www.pbrc.net/adoption/screening.html

here is their app http://www.pbrc.net/application.html
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Tue May 04, 2010 5:43 am

You might ask if they plan to take the dog to training (not just "if problems arise"), and if they subscribe to a specific training methodology - you don't necessarily have to agree with the one they pick, but it does let you know if they're ready for a less trained dog or if they expect to be handed a flawless robot, which apparently some adopters do expect.
Amie
Regulator

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:18 am

if you send me your email via PM, I can send over my application to use, or you can PM Merriterrier on here, she has a good application to.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri May 07, 2010 9:34 am

A Rotta Love Plus has a good app on their website as well.

Last night I found the app I filled out when I adopted Lily. :)
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs