Killing Our pets with every meal.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Killing Our pets with every meal.....

Postby pumpkinpunk » Mon May 10, 2010 11:36 am

pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Mon May 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Have you seen the Dirty jobs episode where Mike Rowe goes to a rendering plant? Don't eat while watching it b/c it's disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nCiI9Toc9Q

And the 3+ year old comments about hot dogs is just wack. Yes, the cheaper your hot dog the cheaper the trim and the poorer quality of ingredients overall but seriously - teeth, bones and beaks in hot dogs? Well, not if your food has passed a USDA inspection:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/hot_dogs/index.asp

And i can tell you that they stuff the USDA describes in the above link does not take place for higher-end hot dogs such as Niman Ranch.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby pumpkinpunk » Mon May 10, 2010 5:04 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Have you seen the Dirty jobs episode where Mike Rowe goes to a rendering plant? Don't eat while watching it b/c it's disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nCiI9Toc9Q

And the 3+ year old comments about hot dogs is just wack. Yes, the cheaper your hot dog the cheaper the trim and the poorer quality of ingredients overall but seriously - teeth, bones and beaks in hot dogs? Well, not if your food has passed a USDA inspection:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/hot_dogs/index.asp

And i can tell you that they stuff the USDA describes in the above link does not take place for higher-end hot dogs such as Niman Ranch.

That link for the dirty jobs only showed a coal thing. But one of the side ones showed a cow being blown up like a balloon with air.. Was that it?
pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Mon May 10, 2010 5:08 pm

crap! I was hoping that was the correct link. I'll have to do some digging but he does separate a dead cow from it's hid using a blower thingy during the rendering plant episode.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby pumpkinpunk » Tue May 11, 2010 10:45 am

FransterDoo wrote:crap! I was hoping that was the correct link. I'll have to do some digging but he does separate a dead cow from it's hid using a blower thingy during the rendering plant episode.

Yeah I saw that one! :yucky: Did you see the mass amount of maggots crawling all over that cow carcass they were inflating? I'll never feed a diet that uses rendered rancid meats. My mother use to feed her cat SD feline weight management and she would empty the bag into an air tight container and then with in time you would start seeing bugs in it. She bought it once or twice thinking they just somehow got into the container, so she bought another new container.. And the bugs were showing up still!! She never bought another bag. This was like 10+ years ago though.
pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Postby Alyssa » Mon May 24, 2010 12:50 am

Dry food? Or wet?

If dry it was most likely grain mites. Which almost all dry foods can have issues with.
Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby GunMom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has heard about this yet, but the Natura brands (Evo, Inova, California Natural etc.) are being bought out by Porcter and Gamble. :c

I switched over to Wellness recently.
GunMom
Newborn Bully

Postby Bandits_Mom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:47 pm

I grew up in the country where we only had Walmart, I did not know about this food stuff until just recently, I am so glad I found out and switched to Castor and Pollux Ultramix. Its unbelievable the stuff that they put in dog food. My dogs seem to like it better too!! My vet said the grocery store brands were ok too but it all makes sense to me, natural is always better!! And my babies are worth and extra $15 a month, about what I spend extra, maybe more, cause they eat more :) I love to see my bullie eat more, he is a growing boy, not so much my pom cause she is a pig and a little over weight lol
Bandits_Mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

I think its time for my girls to switch over to meals i make myself before mommy throws up :yucky:
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby Graham » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:49 am

I found this link for a chart from the FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffi ... 129135.htm

Holy cow! If I wasn't confused before about choosing a dog food, I sure am now. :run:
Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:12 am

Sorry - I tried to edit my above post but it wouldn't let me.

I am really trying to understand this chart (link posted above).

From what I see, & from what I think I understand...

Some good dog food choices would be:

Old Roy "Premium Chicken and Rice Puppy Formula"
Pedigree "Meaty Chunks Mealtime"
Purina "Dog Chow Little Bites"
Purina "Butcher's Blend Science Diet"
PetGold "Master Diet Adult Formulation"

I have no idea what numbers I should be looking for in regards to the:
AD = Animal Digest
AF = Animal Fat
BBM = Beef & Bone Meal
BT = Beef Tallow
MBM = Meat & Bone Meal

Can anyone help me understand? :hi Thanks :run:
Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Enigma » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Graham wrote:Some good dog food choices would be:
Good? Really? How did you come up with that list? Those are some of the worst dog foods on the market btw, filled with grains and by products with very little meat, not something you should be feeding your dog. If you want some good guidelines for dog food quality check this site out:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

The more stars the food has, the better it is.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Novy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 am

Enigma wrote:Good? Really? How did you come up with that list?

It looks like the list was made up of foods that didn't contain any pentobarbital residue in the survey done by the FDA. Kind of odd that the test was only done on the low end grocery store foods. Unless of course those are the only foods of concern.
Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Novy - yes, that is how I came up with that list. This subject matter is new to me. The foods I listed were free of that residue.

Enigma - thank you for sharing that link. I will be looking at that.

I am trying to figure out some good food choices for my dog that are not too pricey, free of that residue, and are nutritionally complete. I would love to hear any suggestions. thank you. :hi
Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Novy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:29 pm

IMO one of the best values for the money is Kirkland (costco). I know some people have soured on it in recent years due to a recall for salmonella contamination. It is unfortunate that it happened, but at the same time it gave them a reason to re-evaluate their processes and fix issues. The reality is that most of us (unknowingly) eat meat products made by companies that have been subject to similar recalls in the past, so I wouldn't avoid a dog food over a resolved issue.
Novy
Newborn Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues