Sweet athletic pit needs adoption or rescue (Phila, PA)

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Sweet athletic pit needs adoption or rescue (Phila, PA)

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 pm

This is Cookie! She is a one year old spayed female pit mix. We're not totally sure what she's mixed with - our best guesses are Dane or Dobie - she is too tall to be all pit. Whatever she is, she is one good looking dog. She is one of my personal favorites at the shelter. As a big black dog with cropped ears, she gets passed over because she looks really intimidating. She is actually a sweetheart and a ton of fun.

Cookie is very athletic and confident. We took her on some agility obstacles and she loved them - no hesitation with tunnels, ramps, or jumps. She will do them just for her own sake - no need for a treat. She loves toys and tennis balls, but is not possessive. With her build and motivation I think she would be awesome at dog sports.

She is pretty good to handle. She is fine on the leash and has no issues entering or exiting the kennel. Off leash she does get riled up and will jump up and get mouthy, which can intimidate a lot of our volunteers at the shelter, because she is a big girl. She will usually stop with a verbal correction. She knows "sit" pretty reliably. She does not seem to have a high prey drive (has tested ok with cats on several occasions) and is polite with other dogs. We don't allow much dog socialization in the shelter (don't want to spread illnesses) but has done well on all her dog meets.

She is not as "soft" as a lot of pits and is not a big attention hog. She likes people but is equally content doing her own thing. She was a cruelty case, and I don't think she's ever had that opportunity to really bond with someone. My co-worker and I are trying to spend a lot of time with her (lunch breaks and after work) to help her open up some more. She has a TON of potential and is just waiting for someone to help her bring it out. I do worry about her - she's been at the shelter for months and needs to get out sooner rather than later. She's available for adoption, foster, or rescue. Reply to this thread or email me if you're interested! Out of state is OK, if you can come get her :)
I have more pictures, just ask!
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Re: Sweet athletic pit needs adoption or rescue (Phila, PA)

Postby loye » Thu May 13, 2010 10:23 pm

OMG!!! She is gorgeous!!!! :inlove: I think my babies would be too much for her or I would have my bf bring her home w/ him when he heads back from NY :)
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri May 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Wow is she ever gorgeous. Reminds me of my Lily a bit, except for the crop. She was pretty aloof when I got her but warmed up after about a year.

Dear Cookie, I am praying for the perfect person to see you and know you are perfect for them.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri May 14, 2010 7:05 pm

:inlove: :inlove:

Goodness, I'm drooling.

Good Luck Cookie!
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kirstan » Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 pm

She's a girl version of my Coal. He's, near as I can tell, pit bull/dane x. Big (89# and very fit), tall, lots of go, one of the best dogs ever. Get her started on tugging so she can learn to clean her mouth up. Coal is UBER smart. Scary smart. He's also very sensitive to training technique and tries very, very hard. He is different from my pit bull(s), current and past, in a lot of ways though. I think she's beautiful.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri May 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for all the love! I will be sure to let her know how pretty she is when I see her on Tuesday. We did some leash walking today and she was so good.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but how does tugging work? Is there a thread where it's been explained already? Is it something I can do in a shelter situation? I'd love to work on her mouthiness, because it's her only real behavior issue, and unfortunately in a shelter a big mouthy dog is always in danger.

And of course let me know if anyone is interested in her!
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby jtalt7 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:59 am

She looks like a Canis Panther. Which is essentially a pit mix but she really does look like one, did they crop her tail?

Has she been adopted?
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:53 pm

And yes, more pictures please :-)
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby patty » Sat May 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Oh My :inlove: :inlove: She is very lovely !!!!!

Hope she finds the perfect home
patty
Forum Junky

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat May 15, 2010 1:47 pm

I googled canis panther and she does look a lot like the pictures. Her tail is not docked though. She is still waiting for a home!

More pictures soon!
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby jtalt7 » Sat May 15, 2010 6:05 pm

That is Lexus, one of the Panthers that I had. We had four but I cant find the pics of the boys........

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat May 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Wow, what a similar face! She looks just like that first picture. She is probably too small to be a real one - I would say 65 lbs - but who knows.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun May 16, 2010 7:18 am

If only we had room, I heart a black dog, they don't get any breaks
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Megan » Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 am

ugh, she is too pretty. I just wish we had found our house already, and were out on our own! We've been talking about getting a female (or a GSP, lol).
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri May 21, 2010 7:59 pm

More pictures!
We took her to play at the state park to get her out of the shelter for a day. Of course she found the most absurdly giant stick to play with:
(She was on a leash, it's just underwater)

Passed out on the way home:
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs