Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Re: Biking with your bully

Postby RhysMom » Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 am

ClickNtreat wrote:

I really liked how stable the bike to leash is - my aussie gets an adrenaline rush every time a vehicle passes by and though I don't lose control with the walkydog I do wobble a bit. With the Bike Tow leash all I feel is him speeding up, no feeling of him yanking to the kerb at all. There is a lot more movement for the dog which is great.

Thanks for the review! I guess I'll stick with my WalkyDog for now... But definitely something I'll consider in the future. I have had a close moment or two when Rhys REALLY wanted to pull to the side when I was on a dirt trail, he managed to slide the bike the the side a little, and he often manages to wobble it a little, though he had been getting better about just going forward most of the time. So if I really start biking with him a lot (I need to get into better shape... off-road bicycling is HARD!! lol) I will maybe get this one.

It seems like it can bend and move a lot, which is nice for the dog, but does it still keep them clear of the front and rear wheel?

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Mon May 03, 2010 12:26 pm

RhysMom wrote:

Thanks for the review! I guess I'll stick with my WalkyDog for now... But definitely something I'll consider in the future. I have had a close moment or two when Rhys REALLY wanted to pull to the side when I was on a dirt trail, he managed to slide the bike the the side a little, and he often manages to wobble it a little, though he had been getting better about just going forward most of the time. So if I really start biking with him a lot (I need to get into better shape... off-road bicycling is HARD!! lol) I will maybe get this one.

It seems like it can bend and move a lot, which is nice for the dog, but does it still keep them clear of the front and rear wheel?

I just got in from taking my 70lb border collie for a ride - I have used it about 8 times now and like it more and more! It hardly feels like a dog is there, except for when we set off and they tow me;)

Yesterday my Border collie saw numerous squirrels and lunged quite a bit and I really did not wobble at all. The only thing is there is lots more room to move and both my dogs have gotten their faces a little too close to the front wheel for my comfort. That being said if I fitted it where it is designed to be on the left of the bike and further back - this could not happen. But as I ride country back roads with them and occasional traffic I want to be between them and the traffic. A quick "oiii" gets their attention back and they stop drifting. I had to move it forward on the bicycle where it attaches so I can change gears.

Honestly trail riding I think the bike tow leash fitted on the left would be the bomb. I can't wait for our Pittie Pup to grow up and join in the fun. Our last pittie was a power house on a bicycle with the walkydog she would of loved the freedom of the tow leash.

They shipped fast it arrived under a week from placing the order.

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Mon May 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for the reviews guys, i just ordered the walky dog with the low rider attachment from
http://www.gulfcoastpetsupplies.com

They had decent prices and free shipping.

I will post some reviews when I get mine and use it.

REY19007
Newborn Bully

Postby REY19007 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:24 am

Got mine yesterday and we are going to try it on sunday!!!!!!!!!!!! :peace:

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Thu May 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Mine came a few days ago, and today I installed it on the Bike and took Abi for a ride, about 1.2 miles on sidewalks, Dirt and Paved streets. I am not sure of her stamina since we have only walked her and never really ran her long distances hence the reason I cut the ride so short. I stopped half way when she seemed to be slowing down and she drank a little water but not much. When we go home she drank some more water, is panting, but I think she actually has much much more in her. I am going to double the distance next time.

I ended up getting the attachment that connect down on the rear axle spindle, and I did not have it tight enough so at first she ran forward and moved the bar around which ended up bending the spindle some. It could be a better design, I don't think the part that touches the frame of the bike is rough enough to grip into the metal. I tried using a file to make some grooves, but I think i need a sharper tool of some sort. IMO it moves too easy. After I got home I re-adjusted it nad made it as tight as possible, so I will see how it does on the next ride.

Overall I am extremely happy with this product, and I know after a few more rides she will get used to my bike and not be as afraid of it as she is now. At one point on the ride we passed a house that has 2 very vicious white labs who run up and down the chain link fence and bark very aggressively. In the past we have moved our walking route to avoid that street because they aggravate her so much I know she wants to kill them. When walking her on that street in the past my wife could not hold her and I even had a hard time getting her to not drag me over to the fence. With the walkie dog she started to lunge 90 degrees away from the bike to get at them, but the springs worked so good she barely made my bike move, I felt more of her movement when she lunged forward. After two tries she gave up and focused back on me, the bike and the ride.

I am sort of curious about trying it attached to my seat post, but I will definitely need a longer line to do that.

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Fri May 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Took her again today, and the conclusion of the matter is the Walkie Dog is great for street use or wide path use, but in the tighter trails near the lake by my house she kept running into the thing with her head. I will continue to use it on the street and sidewalks, but I am going to have to find something else if I wanna take her on tighter trails.

Honestly the best way to have her with me on the single track would be for her to be off leash, but that is not really an option in the area I ride until i get further back where less people go.

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Mon May 17, 2010 12:03 pm

I finally got the pictures from off the camera. here you can see the "lowrider" attachment. I like where this puts her in relation to me, however she is way too strong for it to hold in place, so when she wants to pull forward the entire setup spins on the frame and ended up bending some as she pulled it forward. I know the spindle on the rear will need to be replaced soon, but for now I will just leave that attachment on my bike permanently.

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Tue May 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Took her for the 3rd time now with the walkie dog, did about 2.5 miles I think. Stopped twice for water breaks. She did great, but I think the low-rider attachment is very poorly designed, it will not hold in place at all and spins forward whenever she feels the need to pull.

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Fri May 28, 2010 7:18 pm

I bike with Cash- I too use a short (4 ft) leash attached to the seat post.
Originally, I was going to get a springer, but this setup cost nothing and works perfectly for us.
Cash runs on the right, and I found that if my leg is in front of the leash, i don't have to worry about Cash coming forward of the front tire.
I also use a Harness to bike with him- he likes to pull and knows that the Harness is for Pulling only, the Collar is for Walking.
I use verbal commands with Cash- the LEAVE IT is really important, as well as heeling properly.
We bike around our neighborhood, and he loves to be able to run to his heart's content-
biking is one of the few times he can run ALL OUT before he has to brake for a fence.
After a ride we have a short walk so he gets time to cool down.

One time, during a walk after biking, I had a boy pass me with a Siberian on a flat collar, on a bike.
He looked unstable and nervous and his dog was kind of erratic. He said as he wobbily rode by, "You should try Biking with your dog!"
All I could do was snicker- the boy had no idea!

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 pm

So, I have to update my review of the Walkie Dog and the low rider attachment, it would be great for a smaller less powerful dog. My Pit Bull is now 57lbs and gets stronger all the time.

I had mentioned before that she was bending my rear axle and that I would prob need to get a new one soon, a few days ago I was changing my rear tire and the axle fell apart, so i went and picked up a cheapo and today the wife and I decided to take her for a ride, we get about a mile from the house and she lunges for some squirrels off the trail and pulls so hard it strips the threads right out of the one side of the axle effectively ruining our ride for the day.

I am going to have to give a final thumbs down to this product, at least for my dog, it might be perfect for a mush smaller or less strong dog, or one that does not want to run full speed and rip off the trail after critters.

Now to try and return it or perhaps just craigslist it.

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:42 pm

I am going to order the WalkyDog tonight! Ganymede is only 45lbs ...this looks ideal.

Brooke
Newborn Bully

Postby Brooke » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:18 pm

This is a great thread. I just got a walky dog for my dog and am currently working in sessions every day just to get him use to the bike. It's the first thing in his life I've ever seen him be afraid of! I also ordered a walking/running harness from Brown Dog Design with foam wrap on the chest to safely allow him to pull me. Does anybody have paw issues with their dog and need to use booties? I plan to use Musher's secret to protect his feet but was thinking of ordering some Ruffwear Grip Trex boots as a precaution so I don't have to rehab cut up pads for weeks. I hear they really stay on!

Amstaffguy
Newborn Bully

Postby Amstaffguy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:00 am

This is a great thread I think more people should try it with their dogs mine seem to love it. Does anyone know if the attachments for the bikes can be done with 3 dogs at a time? I do all 3 of mine at the same time, great until a cat or something pops up, but was wondering if there's a setup for multiple leashes as it can be a little tricky sometimes holding the 3 leads and steering the bike.

synno2004
Newborn Bully

Postby synno2004 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:25 am

What ever method you use, GOOD LUCK, here are my methods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvSbVs4nEq4

or if you like rollerblading LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPKse_6mMDo

Klurejr
Newborn Bully

Postby Klurejr » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:58 am

I have been riding with my girl off leash on some of the single track trails near my house, she does great, chases rabbits and squirrels and has a wonderful time, until last Sunday. She chased something off trail and ran into a cacti, so we spent a few very uncomfortable moments holding her down while I used tweezers to pull about 15 needles out of her. So, no more off leash rides. I think we will stick to hiking with her on leash, and I will just mountain bike with my buddies and no dog, unless we go somewhere there is no chance of Cactus. I felt so bad for her.

Return to “Training and Behavior”