Pet Insurance

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pet Health Insurance?

Postby sundaygirl » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:10 pm

Does anyone have this for their pooch(es)? I'm curious about it, i.e. costs, pros/cons, whether it's worth it, etc. Luther was a stray, no health problems in the 9 months we've had him but we think he's pretty young (around 2) and we of course don't know his history. . .wondering if we should look into this. Thanks in advance!
sundaygirl

Postby spane1 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:46 pm

I looked into it for Jack but the policies I checked out had a cap per diagnosis that was ridiculous compared to the cost per month. One year of payments pretty much exceeded the cap! Check the fine print...

Sarah
spane1

Pet Insurance, can someone recommend?

Postby SpudsBud » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:40 pm

We've decided to get insurance for Spud, but I have no idea what to look for though.

Does anyone here in Ontario know of a good pet health insurance company that we should go with?
thanks
SpudsBud

Postby Maryellen » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:37 pm

if you go online and type in pet insurance i think there are 2 companies that give it. national union and aig i think .. ihad it for my dogs, but i cancelled it after awhile as they only paid for certain things once, and they didnt cover alot of stuff.. there are usually 2 plans, the really good one and the ok one. i had the really good one and there were things that still were not covered...
Maryellen

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:12 pm

I dont know if your plans are different in Ontario. but here I found that unless my dog or other animal (ferrets have TERRIBLE coverage) really had something catastrophic happen, then it would be better for me just to start my own acct as a "just in case" fund.
REALLY read any policy for the what ifs..covered but not if this or that..not covering because of that..etc..

I havent really heard anything GOOD about any policies.. as of yet.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby Salival » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:43 pm

All the pet insurance companies that I know are a lot like "AFLAC." You pay up front and they will reinburse you once you make a claim and they "OK" it. Lots of technicalities as well as in what is included and what is not, that sort of thing.

I have heard of PetCare more than any http://www.petcareinsurance.com/ but that may be because they are advertising more aggressively.
Salival
Super Bully

Postby Laurier » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:09 pm

Also a lot of the companies don't cover existing problems or genenic problems that a particular breed is predisposed too. Its not worth the hassle IMO, I think you're better off putting the money you would spend on insurance every month into a doggy savings acct.
Laurier

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:15 am

yep, when i had it they wouldnt cover the same injury twice, it would have to happen on a different part of the body, it wasnt worth the $32 a month after a while.
Maryellen

Pet Insurance?

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:56 pm

I'm looking into pet insurance for my dogs and cats..should have done it along time ago :oops:

Does anybody have insurance for their pets? Who did you go with? How much does it cost you monthly? Is it one set fee or is it like a certain amount per pet each month??

Thanx! :peace:
AllAmericanPUP

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:33 pm

I looked into it and the one I looked at really only cover big catrasophes.. I have read time and time again that is is more benefical to start your own bank acct for accidents and vet care.
As the policies have alot of cover this..but not that..but this..but not that.
And havent heard anything really good about any of them?
(so far)
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:41 pm

I looked at one and it covered stuff like flea medicine, heartworms, vet emergencies, cancer, etc.

Basically the insurance would be for the serious stuff that cots big big bucks.
Like if one of my dogs ever got cancer or something like that..
AllAmericanPUP

Postby satanscheerleader » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:43 pm

I tried years back to get insurance for Venus and they said they wouldn't insure her cause she was a pit. It really irked me so instead I put money away every month as if I was paying the insurace payment. I save it for REAL emergencies not normal vet care.
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby Tori » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:29 am

A friend of mine has it for her 2 dogs,Rudy and Harley.She says it's the best decision she has ever made, and worth every penny.Rudy and Harley got onto it one time ,and Rudy put a nice hole in Harleys head,the insurance covered everything.I don't know who she has the policy through,or how how much she pays a month.
Tori

Postby Maryellen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:14 am

there are 3 plans, basic, medium and expensive.. what you pay for is what you get. they dont cover the same thing twice, they will cover for surgeries, spays, yearly vet visits... they are like health insurance, you pay the bills up front, then submit them to the company, they reimburse you 80% max for your bills. i was paying $32 a month for jesse and sonny, and $28 a month for rufus.. they do not cover hot spots. you have to read the plans very carefully to see what is covered and what isnt, and there is a deductible to boot. i stopped it after a year.
Maryellen

Postby Tori » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:38 am

So it wasn't worth it then?
Tori

Next

Return to Health Issues