Breeders

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Breeders

Postby stefaniej » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:53 pm

OK, I know that we cannot discuss this in depth, but, I have rescued a pit mix. I am looking for a puppy. I am being stingy this time and want one that looks how I desire. I have found one that resembles my boy that died of having seizures at three and he was gorgeous. What can I do to make sure that I am getting a puppy from a responsible breeder and not a back yard breeder. I know that I should just rescue one. But, I have had 10 dogs that I have rescued and had until they died of natural old age. So, that being said. Can you guys give me any pointers on what to look for or if there are any resources to check out a location. I have found a place that has a dog that looks almost exactly like the one I lost from seizures...anyways, hope that I have not offended anyone or gotten myself in trouble on here. If I did, just let me know. Thanks in advance for any advise that you can give me! :bowdown:
stefaniej
Adolescent Bully

Re: Breeders

Postby stefaniej » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 pm

I like alot of the dogs on here for rescue....but, they are far far away! Lots of beauties...I just think that a puppy would be better for my 12 year old golden and my sometimes snotty pit....She just really needs a playmate! LOL. And she either loves the dog-mostly males- or hates the dog....There is NO in between with her!
stefaniej
Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Puppies are plentiful in rescue as well.
I just found 1,703 in your state.
You can further narrow the search by preferred sex.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?ani ... rch=Search
msvette2u

Postby Charlie282 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:31 pm

I just want to mention that there are a lot of young pups at the shelters, around the 6-9 month range. And second, I wouldn't get another puppy just to play with your pit mix. The little guy is there to be your buddy. If it's an energy thing you are worried about, there are plenty of alternatives than another dog for them to wrestle with. Regardless of what you do, please look around the shelters or on petfinder first. Lots of little ones need a good home.
Charlie282
Adolescent Bully

Postby stefaniej » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Knowing me, I will probably end up with another rescue and come on here and drool over all of the beauties......Oh, well. I just really love some of the short, stocky, big headed monsters on here.(from Veronica to Bucky :inlove: ) My girl has good muscle tone and is short....she is just a wee bit smaller than I would have wanted. Oh well, she is still my baby. Trust me, I cannot have kids....SOOO, my dogs are my children. I have lost boyfriends over them thinking that I treat them too good and that they are JUST dogs.....NOT, If you do not like it, then get out! I have only one girlfriend that thinks I am stupid for acting the way I do with my dogs. (she does not like dogs in the house) Anyways, It would be for me and not for my pit mix. But, she used to play sooo well with my ex's dog and the dog at work and she is sooo excited when she gets to play. We go for walks and my Golden starts to act a little spunky...she gets all excited and I have to tell her to leave him alone. (He is an old man, take me for a walk, pet me, feed me, give me a treat, and tuck me into bed....) He does not want to play. Yesterday, she was on the bed trying to pretend that she was a cat with him to provoke him to play, pouncing her foot off of the bed in front on him and back-it was hilarious. She must not have realized that he cannot see as of yet..... Anyways, thanks for the help.
stefaniej
Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Wait a minute...there's plenty of rescued beauties on here!!
Our Luke was a rescue and sometimes I just gawk at him because of his handsomeness-- and we had gone to a breeder too, but ended up walking away as she lacked some important things to make her a stellar breeder.
I'm so happy and satisfied that we got not only a dog with an excellent temperament (just what we wanted) but such a handsome stunning dog as well :)
msvette2u

Postby stefaniej » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Dang it!! I had a whole other paragraph! Lost it!! Anyways, I have to go now and get back to work. I will rehash it all out later! HEHEHHEHE
Actually it is funny because her brother is on that petfinders list, Malachi, Noble ones Bully breed rescue...He is sooooooo mellow! I am sad to see that he is back.
Thanks all!
stefaniej
Adolescent Bully

Postby tarnation » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Unless you are planning to show your new dog and/or compete for working titles, most people on here will recommend that you get a rescue. But with pit bulls, you can truly get any look/type/personality you want, as there are so very many pits in shelters and rescues. It can take some looking, if you have something very specific in mind, and you may have to do some driving to check out various dogs, but truly you can find a great, beautiful pit bull. Good luck!
tarnation
Newborn Bully

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:16 am

It's really your call, to be honest, if you want to go the breeder route, start going to local UKC or ADBA shows, and meeting people, and checking out dogs there. It's the best source for information, and getting to see the dogs first hand, and being able to observe their temperament. And in some occasions, people often retire dogs at a fairly young age, and put them in pet homes, sometimes homes that are preplanned fall threw, there's a number of things that can happen to make some really nice dogs come available. So, that could also be a option for you.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs