Pig Bones

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pig Bones

Postby Hooligan » Mon May 24, 2004 5:00 pm

Are raw piggie bones okay for dogs?

My nephew works at a meat company in Texas and we are going to see him graduate on Friday. He said he can get the bones of a few cows and pigs for me. But I wasn't sure if pig bones were okay to give. Anyone got some info on this?

I figure I will be coming home with about 100 lbs or more of bones, but it will save me from buying them for a loooong time. Sadly there will be no room in our freezer for people food :sad: I only hope we don't get stopped by the coppers...it'll look like we are stealing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre leftovers.
Hooligan

Postby kazuo » Mon May 24, 2004 5:14 pm

From what I recall of a few other posts in this section, raw pork is not recommended.
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby mnp13 » Mon May 24, 2004 6:35 pm

no raw pork!!!!

Also, in my experience, pig bones seem to splinter easier than cow bones.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby HugABull1 » Mon May 24, 2004 7:55 pm

raw pork is pretty controversial lol. My dogs get raw pork and pork bones on occasion - they LOVE pig feet! Pork is fatty, so it gives some dogs the hershey squirts.

There's a lot of conflicting info about pork, and why you should or shouldn't feed it. The biggest risk is trichanosis (yeah, I know I spelled it wrong, I give up on that one), a parasite found in some wild meats, and in raw pork in some places. Here in BC, Canada, pork is about the safest/cleanest meat you can eat, and that's not a worry. I don't know how it is down in the states. Also, you shouldn't feed ham, as it has tons of salt in it which is bad for the pups (ham is cured pork). As far as bones being more brittle, I really couldn't say. The pork bones I feed are riblets, which are small and fairly soft, and this other bone, not sure what it is, think it might be a shoulder or something, which is pretty much all cartilage, very rubbery, no splintering.

If in doubt - ask your vet :thumbsup:
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby mnp13 » Mon May 24, 2004 9:59 pm

chilliwackpitbull wrote:raw pork is pretty controversial lol. My dogs get raw pork and pork bones on occasion - they LOVE pig feet! Pork is fatty, so it gives some dogs the hershey squirts.

Raw bones are softer than smoked or cooked bones. Every smoked pig bone (the only kind of pig bones the dogs have gotten) has been very brittle. I have never fed a raw pork bone.

I don't like the idea of raw pork bones not for the dogs, but for the people around them. They get bone slime on their face and feet and fur and then get it on you and your clothes and your furniture. I'd be more worried about me getting sick from the raw pork parasites than the dogs.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby barbponys » Tue May 25, 2004 12:51 pm

I'm one who stands firmly in the "no raw pork" corner. My dogs don't get pork products period. It's suppose to be "clean" of trichinosis but I have no faith in the meat industry.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby HugABull1 » Tue May 25, 2004 6:40 pm

I hear ya barb'! I'm lucky, as I live in a relatively small, agriculture based community, and I happen to personally know the families that own and run the two major providers of pig meat for the Fraser Valley. So anyway, I happen to KNOW that our pork is safe, but I'd probably be a lot more skeptical if I lived somewhere else. I always figure, if I'd eat it, it's okay for my dogs :peace:
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby barbponys » Wed May 26, 2004 12:35 am

Lucky you Chilli :thumbsup:. There's the rub, I won't eat pork. On rare occassions I may or if it's in something and I don't know it but other wise, I don't touch it. It's tempting sometimes cuz it's a WHOLE lot cheaper than beef!!! Sigh, oh well.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby phez718 » Wed May 26, 2004 2:53 pm

The only time I eat pork is in egg rolls :tongue:
phez718

Postby pollypop » Wed May 26, 2004 3:16 pm

I give pork necks sometimes as a treat. Polly really LOVES them. Don't know about the rest of the bones, but pork neck bones are very soft and chewable. In fact, you could probably chew them into little bits yourself. Trichinosis can be a concern, but supposedly if you freeze the meat at 5 degrees F for 3 weeks, it'll kill the parasites and then you won't have to worry about it.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites ... inosis.htm

I have a little upright freezer, about the size of a large mini-fridge, for frozen dog and fish food, so I don't have to worry about having a full freezer and having no room for my own food, or about keeping the dog's food colder than the rest of my food should be. If you can find one of those, they're great for storing BARF stuff!
pollypop

Postby barbponys » Wed May 26, 2004 3:30 pm

Thanks for the link Polly. I wonder why freezing pork works but not game meats? Whats the difference?

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Hooligan » Wed May 26, 2004 6:45 pm

Thanx for the info. I figured they wouldn't be safe...but I wanted to double check first.

He has already got me the bones from 2 full cows. 36 rib bones (over a ft long each) and the leg bones...and some other bones he mentioned, but since he knows exactly what they are called and I don't I can't remember. I told him no back/neck bones though, because I thought the others would be safer.
Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Mon May 31, 2004 3:55 pm

okay so we made it back with the bones and I am sad to say that by the time I finished wrapping most of them the gigantic leg bones and massive knuckle bones wouldn't fit in my freezer. Wish some of you guys were closer to me, since I had to throw them away. We got all the ribs a few of the knuckle bones and the round bones tucked away int he freezer and the dogs love them.

How often can they get bones?
Hooligan

Postby barbponys » Mon May 31, 2004 10:52 pm

Depends on whether or not he actually eats them or not. I give my kids bones twice a week, they usually chew on them for a few days till they get too small then I throw them away.

I use them as meals........so when they get fresh bones I don't feed them dinner or breakfast.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Hooligan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:09 am

Well Brooklyn eats the little round bones (like are in steaks) in about 5 mins, but the other ones both him and Hooligan chew on all day.

I guess I will start giving them 2 bones a week now, since I have enough to last 1/2 a year in the freezer. lol
Hooligan

Next

Return to Health Issues