Separation Anxiety

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
libbs
Newborn Bully

Re: Separation Anxiety

Postby libbs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Not sure if it's SA or not, but DK does show some signs:

-When left unattended, he will destroy anything he can get his teeth on. We would leave him in the laundry room and he would whine, scratch and chew at the door/doorframe. I left him in my room, he ripped my bed apart and chewed up any box he could find. Now we leave him in a crate and he tries his darndest to escapt. We've had to re-enforce the cage door with c-clamps. Anything you leave in the crate is destroyed (I can't even leave a blanket in there).

-He whines as soon as we put him in the cage. I'm not sure what he does when we're gone. I was meaning to record him but never got around to it.

- He does drool a little bit.

-When I come home and let him out, he's just a ball of energy.

Is this something to be worried about or is it just a bored doggy?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Honestly, it could very well be a combo of both. How much exercise does he get daily? What mental stimulation toys are left with him while he is unattended? How long each day is he left alone?

libbs
Newborn Bully

Postby libbs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Stormi wrote:Honestly, it could very well be a combo of both. How much exercise does he get daily? What mental stimulation toys are left with him while he is unattended? How long each day is he left alone?

Well when I was home, he got a 1hr walk every day. He's left with a bone to chew on because he destroys anything you put in there with him. He took apart a black KONG in under 10 minutes. He could be left from anywhere between an hour to up to 6.

With me gone (even when I was home), there was very little time to try and do proper desensitization training. I know he's not properly crate trained but it was either keep him in a kennel or let him destroy the house.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Well, your first step will to backpedal and make his crate a plesant place to be rather than an anxiety-inducing place. Crate training can be easy, but the longer he's taught that its a place to fear the harder it will be to train him otherwise. how much exercise is he getting now, since you mention he used to get an hour walk? How old is he?

libbs
Newborn Bully

Postby libbs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Stormi wrote:Well, your first step will to backpedal and make his crate a plesant place to be rather than an anxiety-inducing place. Crate training can be easy, but the longer he's taught that its a place to fear the harder it will be to train him otherwise. how much exercise is he getting now, since you mention he used to get an hour walk? How old is he?

Well the tourble is, is that I'm 1500KM's away and my parents don't have the slightest idea of how to do this kind of training. I'm going to say he's only getting maybe 3 hours a week. Not nearly enough as he should be getting, but what am I to do. They don't listen to me. (Lately though it's been too hot. Anything over 85 degrees and he just shuts down and doesn't want to walk). He's about 2.5yo.

I go home in a month in August so I can try to do something with him regarding the crate. What do you sggest I do. I might all be for not anyway because after I leave my parents won't continue with the training.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Is it at all possible for him to live with you? Without someone there to give him consistant training, as well as the much needed mental and physical exercise he's not getting, its really not practical or fair to the dog to expect any change in his behavior. And unfortunately, because it does sound like he's experiancing a steady flow and stress and anxiety, and has no outlet for it, his symptomatic behavior could very well increase. There's a variety of things you can do, such as the alone training suggested in this post and giving him frozen kongs in his crate, but really, without him getting the daily outlets that he needs, any kind of training isn't going to be too productive.

libbs
Newborn Bully

Postby libbs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Stormi wrote:Is it at all possible for him to live with you? Without someone there to give him consistant training, as well as the much needed mental and physical exercise he's not getting, its really not practical or fair to the dog to expect any change in his behavior. And unfortunately, because it does sound like he's experiancing a steady flow and stress and anxiety, and has no outlet for it, his symptomatic behavior could very well increase. There's a variety of things you can do, such as the alone training suggested in this post and giving him frozen kongs in his crate, but really, without him getting the daily outlets that he needs, any kind of training isn't going to be too productive.

I really wish it was a possibly, but right now I'm living in subsidized military quarters and no pets are allowed. The thing is, is that he's done this even with the training and daily exercise. I'm not sure what he does after people leave. I don't know if he keeps up with the whining, or just lies down and sleeps.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Ack, no edit... Do you think you could convince to at least try working with him? Often when owners begin to see results in a dogs behavior after all their hardwork, the payoff is rewarding enough for them to keep up with training and become more active in the dog's life.

libbs
Newborn Bully

Postby libbs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Stormi wrote:Ack, no edit... Do you think you could convince to at least try working with him? Often when owners begin to see results in a dogs behavior after all their hardwork, the payoff is rewarding enough for them to keep up with training and become more active in the dog's life.

The thing with my parents, is that they think that they can do what they did with the last 2 dogs....nothing. The last 2 were very doscile and didn't do much of anything and didn't require much exercise. Now they have an active breed on their hands and have kept the same mind set. You can't believe my level of frustration with my parents that it seems the last year of my hard work/money I put into training has gone down the tubes. I tried to convince my dad to take the same beginers course I did so he could have some kind of basic knowledge on how to handel the dog (but out come the excuses).

There 2 parents, 2 brothers and 1 sister capable of walking the dog... but everyone is always too "busy".

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:23 pm

sookies_mama wrote:Probably not enough exercise, I take her outside for fetch/zooming and what not for about 10-15 min 3 or four times a day, with the occasional run thrown in (maybe a couple times a week) of course thats at my pace which is significantly slower than mine, I'm thinking about getting a bike so I can run her faster lol. She's not super high energy and when I'm there is good with couch cuddling time. She does however have lots of toys, kongs, bones, usually stuffed with frozen goodies, which she is great about playing with when I'm there, but then again maybe I just am there to direct her to them instead of say the plastic cup that was destroyed when I came home last night. I've had her about a month now, and her history while unknown, does contain a period of stray street dog, where I'm sure she learned her trash rumaging. Which is why the trash now gets left on top of the refrigerator! I'm learning!

All dogs are different but in my experience with Obi (who had the worst SA I ever dealt with!) 10-15 minutes even 3-4 times a day means I come home to a house destroyed! Much of Obi's SA intensifies when he is bored and pent up. We got for at least a 45 minute jog every night, plus a half hour brisk walk in the AM and a half hour brisk walk at lunch. He isn't very good at entertaining himself so he could have all the toys in the world and it would do no good.

If you can't up the TIME you exercise your dog, make it count more. Train, train, train to keep her mind stimulated. Make her walk along a curb, make her sit everywhere, make her lay down and roll over when you get to the park...make her walk INTERESTING! 15 minutes of stimulating walk is worth 5x more than a simple walk-to-heel around the block.

drider
Newborn Bully

Postby drider » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:59 pm

I only had two dogs during my lifetime, (I'm twenty-two) and my first pit bull i had, would consider extreme separation anxiety! For instance, early stages were not wanting to be crate trained, growling and barking, and filling the pan with saliva! It worsened, she actually bit her way out of the kennel breaking a K9, damaging her Killie's tendon, and just plain 5150 danger to herself! I was fed up my parents were fed up! But being a good owners is all about not giving up, with time and exercise and age, Chilly got better. As an example we could leave her outside in the backyard and she would pass out sleep until we got home from work, school etc! But not to forget, this dog bit through my door, chewed up carpet, barked like there was no tomorrow, chewing on window coverings, pulling down door moldings, and the list goes on if anyone is interested.
Now for my new addition i just adopted from the shelter is a total opposite, she's a ten month old pitbull that does not care or actually favors being alone outside in her dogloo or just plain laying outside in her kennel run! I'm amazed, ironically my anxiety was actually very high when I was signing papers during the adoption process because I was scared what if i get another dog with severe separation anxiety.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Libbs,

Gosh, I feel for your situation. That's gotta be tough knowing there's not much you can do being so far away from your pup. Since the people he's staying with aren't willing to put in any effort in to him, do you have friends in the area or anyone that you know that would be willing to help out? Do you know how long it will be before you are able to be home with him again?

The issue is, even if he has done this in the past with exercise, he's currently not getting any, and you can't reduce an anxiety related beavior without removing the anxiety. A dog of his age should really be getting at least an hour of cardiac, heart-pumping pyhiscal exercise DAILY. Not to metion the remidial crate training that sounds like he very desperately needs. Without someone there to actually be consistant with his training, it's tough to expect much change. Like I mentioned, there's things they can do to stimulate his environment while they're away, such as giving him work-to-eat puzzles, frozen kongs, teaching him hide-and-seek, but if they're unwilling to even take him for a walk it might be tough to convince them to comply with that.

libbs
Newborn Bully

Postby libbs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Stormi wrote:Libbs,

Gosh, I feel for your situation. That's gotta be tough knowing there's not much you can do being so far away from your pup. Since the people he's staying with aren't willing to put in any effort in to him, do you have friends in the area or anyone that you know that would be willing to help out? Do you know how long it will be before you are able to be home with him again?

The issue is, even if he has done this in the past with exercise, he's currently not getting any, and you can't reduce an anxiety related beavior without removing the anxiety. A dog of his age should really be getting at least an hour of cardiac, heart-pumping pyhiscal exercise DAILY. Not to metion the remidial crate training that sounds like he very desperately needs. Without someone there to actually be consistant with his training, it's tough to expect much change. Like I mentioned, there's things they can do to stimulate his environment while they're away, such as giving him work-to-eat puzzles, frozen kongs, teaching him hide-and-seek, but if they're unwilling to even take him for a walk it might be tough to convince them to comply with that.

It really is tough and it's the only con of the decision I made. I know a few people that have been willing to help out my parents but they aren't open to the idea... I don't know why.

I have a brother at home every day so the long hauls in the cage don't happen any more. It's maybe 1 hour (at most) now. 28 more days until we're reunited! :nana:

yaegersnewfamily
Adolescent Bully

Separation Anxiety?

Postby yaegersnewfamily » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:35 pm

So Yaeger has been with us for almost a month now, and we just found out from a neighbor that when we leave he's been whining pretty bad. Plus he's already chewed two good size holes in his crate. He has this kind:

http://www.pettravelcenter.com/products/detail/339/29/6

Given to us by his previous owner. He loves to lay in it and sleep in it on his own when we are home so I know he doesn't have a problem with it. This is the same crate that he is used to being left in by his previous owner when they went out. Now, during the week, he is used to having me home as I am a stay-at-home, work-at-home mom to be. We usually spend nights in on the weekdays, except to the occasional dinner. On the weekends, my fiance and I like to go out maybe 4-5 hours at a time, max, just to have our own time out of the house.

I know that dogs in new situations tend to develop signs of separation anxiety, and maybe Yae has just gotten used to seeing me home. The previous dog we fostered was a husky with the same problem, only worse, she used to potty inside the kennel when we left, thankfully we found a beautiful home with a large yard for her to run around in. Yaeger started as a foster, but we decided to adopt him as soon as we spent a day with him. It breaks my heart to know he's sad and whining when we leave.

What could be the problem? What can we do to fix this?

The previous owner said that if we are leaving for hours to use Pet-Ease treats, because that is what they did and he calmed right down. We haven't tried this yet, but we realized when we stepped out of the apartment this morning to check the mail that he was already whining. No point in the treats if we're only leaving for a bit. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Separation Anxiety?

Postby Stormi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:43 pm

Whining isn't on its own symptomatic of separation anxiety, and if he will accept treats and food, its much more likely the he simply hasn't been properly crate trained and taught how to handle being left by himself. Clinical separation anxiety symptoms includes excessive vocalization (more than just whining), blowing of bowels, vomiting, anorexia and more. There's a sticky on the topic in the training and behavior section that might help you with some tips on how to get him to relax.

Return to “Training and Behavior”