Pet Insurance

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Maryellen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:41 am

for me no. i have 3 dogs, all different ages. i had pet ins from California. they only covered injuries once, so if your dog injures its left front leg, then 6 months later injures the same leg w/ the same injury they wont cover it.. i had the best plan possible.. and you have to pay the vet first, then get reimbursed, so if you wind up at the ER and the surgery is 1500, you have to cough up the money then submit it to the company. now, if you can find a vet that deals w/ the pet insurance company and bills the company direct where you dont have to pay out first, do it. then its worth it.. the deductible i had was $50.
Maryellen

Postby Tori » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:36 pm

My friend never told me it only covered injuries ect only once.Having more then one dog,it's not going to work for me.
Tori

Postby Kirstan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:22 pm

Got it and love it! I've had it for 3 dogs and it's covered some huge bills. I pay $50 monthly (for 2 dogs, $25 each) for the 'gold plan' @ VPI and it's worth it to us. It does not cover genetic or hereditary issues (not breed wise but dog wise) so that kind of limits it BUT it covered 70% of an MRI, 80% of 2 separate cancer surgeries, tooth issues, knee problems, arthritic issues, a disc surgery and a cruciate repair. It's saved us a lot of money. My husband, the attorney, was annoyed with me at first but not anymore.

I've had it cover acupuncture though it needs to be pretty specific to the injury. I'm working on a couple other things - like hydrotherapy.

I love it.
~k.[/quote]
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:24 pm

Oh, one last thing... if you have something fixed (like a knee) and it gets re-injured within 6 months (at least our plan) then it's not covered... if it's longer than that, it's covered.

~k.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:04 pm

I think i'm just gonna open a savings account for them.

Cause with 7 dogs, i think it'd be outrageously high monthly fee for the insurance..
AllAmericanPUP

dog health insurance...

Postby iLUVmySH » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:33 am

now i started a thread about how much your vet bill was... and a lot tend to have $100+ per visit to the vet.... so i was researching and found this on petfinder's website...

http://www.sheltercare.com/us/index.asp?cuid=

petfinder referred me to a dog insurance website... rates aren't bad? not bad of a coverage either... $75 per deductible... anyone find it good or bad to have dog insurance? comments are welcome....
iLUVmySH

Postby pinion » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:50 am

I'm just keeping a sum of money aside for doggy problems. I don't like those pet insurance companies, some of them are VERY specific to what they will and will not cover and how much $ per year.
pinion

Postby Wednesday » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:56 am

I was looking into that until someone on here suggested that I open a seperate bank account and put the same amount in each month that I would be giving to the insurance company. It makes sense as I will have the money for my dog if I need it, but I get to choose what I use it for. My worst nightmare would be to have something happen and find out that the insurance company won't cover it.
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby pblove » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:45 pm

I have the gold plan with that insurance company for my Paige.
I lost my first pit bull to cancer, spent a little over $5,000.00 in less then 8 weeks trying to save my baby boy, but still lost him.
I am not good at saving money, so it was best for me to purchase the insurance. It really does cover quite a lot of illnesses and injuries.
I got Paige off a rescue group on Petfinder and it was offered to me for the first couple months for free. I thoguht I would just start setting money aside like some do, then got worried that if she got sick or hurt before I had enough money, then I would be in a jam so just upgraded and continued with the insurance for her.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

SLappy is on VPI

Postby runaroundrachel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:56 pm

Slappy was recently rushed to the emergency room because she injested something poisonous.... our bills came to about $2800 and they gave us a little under $900 back... so? I dont know. It was really nice to have that big old check after paying so much on my credit cards... our premium each month is a little under $40... I say yes... veteranary pet insurance is the company...
runaroundrachel

Postby Brandy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:31 am

Bumping olddddddddddd thread with my own question on pet health insurance. Got tired of searching. :)) And didn't want Concreterose to close my thread before I got some answers.lol

It is now 2008, three years later.
How do you guys/gals feel about PHI now that they have been around for quite some time added with the fact that there are a few more available?
Does anyone else have PHI for their pets, and how do you feel about it?

I am thinking of getting the following for my 3 pits. They are young, healthy, and very well protected to the point of over doing it.lol
I still worry with the "what if". All my dogs have always been extremely healthy, and never had accidents. But these are my first pit bulls, and I'm hearing all sorts of bad news on their health issues. :frown:

The one I am thinking of getting for them is through the New York City ASPCA. This is the package I am thinking of getting for them.
I would really appreciate all of your imput!! Thanks.

Our Premier Plan covers illness and injury with the highest level of per incident reimbursement, as well as a deluxe level of elective preventive care. It's a great choice to help you plan and pay for investment in your pet's continued well-being.

The Premier Plan covers treatment and medication for injury and illness.
The Premier Plan covers spaying and neutering.
In addition to accident and illness coverage, your pet is covered for the following standard vaccinations and boosters: Canine Distemper (DHLPP), Feline Distemper (FVRCP), Coronavirus, Rabies vaccine, and boosters for puppies and kittens.
Your pet's annual physical exam, fecal exam, and heartworm testing are also covered.
With a Premier pet insurance plan, your pet will receive additional coverage for the following annual vaccinations: Lyme, Bordetella, Feline Infectious Peritonitis, and Feline Leukemia vaccines.
The Premier Plan also covers 12 months of heartworm and flea preventive medication and an annual dental cleaning.
The Premier Plan has a maximum benefit of $13,000.00 per year, with a $5,000.00 per incident limit.
Coverage starts at $47.31 for cats and $54.10 for dogs. Or $2,090.64 annual for 3 dogs...
Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby msvette2u » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 am

msvette2u

Postby Bulldaddy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:11 am

WHY ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE SHOWING UP AS A GUEST?

oops capslock , too lazy
Bulldaddy
Super Bully

Postby Brandy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks msvette2u! I had checked out that one, and the ASPCA one covers more.
Brandy
Newborn Bully

Pet Insurance, VPI Ect.

Postby PinKster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:48 pm

I know this has been brought up several times, as I did a search. But I want to know the majority of members that currently have insurance for their pets and what provider they use. I have been really considering getting Sadie VPI and my husband isn't fond of the idea.

Has it come in handy?

Is it worth it with the co-pays, limitations?

What plan are you on?
PinKster
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues