Cancer sucks

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Cancer sucks

Postby trip8581 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:30 am

I have put off writing this in hopes that maybe if I didn't put it down in writing it wouldn't be true, but I need some support and maybe even some advice as things progress along (and I am sure someone here has been through something similar or has some insight). I am a bit of a mess right now, so hopefully I don't forget anything.

I posted about a week ago in this section asking for opinions on Rain's weight as I had noticed she was looking thinner and the general consensus was that she definitely was too thin. I decided it best to take her in for an exam just to make sure she was ok. I took her in on Monday this week expecting to have bloodwork taken and the bump on her back aspirated. This was the first time my new vet has seen Rain, but she has treated Roc numerous times for his various ailments and she is a personal friend - I trust her and I know she takes care of my dogs as if they were her own. As soon as she saw the bump on Rain's nose she said she did not like the way it looked and wanted to have it aspirated which I was a bit alarmed by, but of course I had her aspirate that and the bump on her back. The bump on Rain's back came back as a cyst, but the bump on Rain's nose was diagnosed as a mast cell tumor. Now this bump has been on Rain's nose for probably 3 years and has been diagnosed by 2 previous vets as a histocytoma which is a benign growth, so you can imagine my surprise. On top of that the lymph node on Rain's neck on that side was swollen so she aspirated that as well and found suspicious cells in that as well pointing to a possibility that it has spread.

Because of the location of the mast cell tumor it cannot be easily removed and depending on how far it has spread and the stage of the tumor will decide what type of treatment we can pursue. And also the cost, prognosis, and quality of life. I went home Monday night with the knowledge that if the cancer had spread that Rain was pretty much a dead dog walking and if not that we might be able to radiate the area.

I took Rain in today to get chest x-rays and take more samples from the lymph node to send to the lab for further testing. The chest x-rays were clear, so the cancer has not spread to her lungs which is good. Her bloodwork came back perfectly fine too. And I should hopefully find out a more definitive answer about whether the cancer has spread to her lymph node tomorrow night. I did have her hips x-rayed since she has been having some pain in them and she has some arthritis, so I will be adding some supplements.

I have an appointment scheduled for Friday afternoon to meet with an oncologist who my vet referred me to and who she has already spoken with on the phone about Rain's case. According to the oncologist, if the MCT is only stage 2 and has not spread any farther than the local lymph node than she would probably want to remove what she could of the tumor (not sure how pretty that surgery would be) and then follow up with chemotherapy - my vet thinks this would cost at least $5000. This is best case scenario. The oncologist may want to take needle aspirates from some of her internal organs to make sure it has not spread there first though as if it has spread there than no treatment would be effective. If the MCT is stage 3 or 4 then most likely I will just be treating Rain with supportive care until her quality of life decreases (possibly we could treat her with prednisone which has been used to slow down the progression of MCTs).

At this point this is all just speculation and 2nd hand information from the vet. I will have a better idea of my options or lack of options once I meet with the oncologist on Friday afternoon. I don't have the money to treat this, but I have to find out all of the options as I could never just stand by and do nothing and if by some miracle she has a good chance of survival/beating this then somehow I will have to find it. I also feel like I failed her by somehow not catching this earlier - I should have asked for a 3rd opinion 2 years back instead of just assuming the vets I took her to were correct in their diagnosis. I feel like my world is falling apart. Other than the weight issue she has been acting like her normal goofy self and I just cannot imagine that I could lose her. :crybaby:

I know I am rambling now, so I will stop..... I hope this all makes sense... I will update again after the oncology appt
trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Cancer sucks

Postby mtlu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:10 am

I have no advice but will hope for the best/workable prognosis for Rain :pray
:hug: :hug:
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:34 am

:hug:

I am so sorry. Recently my 15 year old cat had a very large mass in her abdomen. For years her blood work was coming back fine and she had just been to the vet 6 months before and had x-rays and there was no mass. So it came out of no where and got huge. I spent a while beating myself up, like I failed her somehow. In the end I know it wasn't true and it was counterproductive. I had to make a decision on what to do and ended up opting for surgery. Mind you she was healthy, active, etc. I had went in thinking if they couldn't remove it then I would have her stitched up and sent home. Unfortunately my vet did not think she would survive due to serious bleeding and what the mass was attached to and wrapped around....but I had to at least try. So i know how you feel.

Damn cancer!!

Unfortunately there is a lot of information and people on this board who have or are know dealing with cancer. So you should be able to get some good advice and support.

I wish someone could find out why cancer seems like it is getting more common in our pets!
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby nic » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:19 am

I'm so sorry. :sad:
nic
Forum Junky

Postby jrowephoto » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 am

I am so sorry, I am praying for your little one and you as well. :pray
Best of luck with this, praying for a speedy/full recovery
jrowephoto
Super Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:05 am

We should all wear shirts that say cancer sucks. It really does. I'm sorry you're going through this. I know it must be scary. But we're hear for you. :hug: Give Rain some extra loving from us.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:31 am

You and Rain will be in my thoughts and prayers. I find it so difficult to make decisions regarding my furry companions. Just know that you are always doing the very best you can.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:38 am

I'm so sorry. I have more experience with canine cancer than I would wish on anyone, and I know the worry and fear you must be feeling now. I'm hoping for the best possible outcome for Rain and wishing you strength in the decisions you face. :hug:
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:56 am

I am so very sorry to hear this sad news about your beautiful 'Rain" and will keep her in my prayers
Here is a very informative link for cancer diets, supplements, treatments etc

http://www.dogaware.com/health/cancer.html
I have much info and will send you the links as I find them
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby msvette2u » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:20 am

I am so sorry to hear this, I hope she does well and you get good news from the oncologist :)
msvette2u

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Darn!!!! Please keep us posted as you learn more. You guys are all in my thoughts!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby jtalt7 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Hang in there Sarah!

All is not lost with mast cell, even if it is system wide there are things you can try. I understand finances are an issue but ask about Paladia when you go in. We have had some great success with our clients on that drug. It doesnt 'cure' them but does give them quality time.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for at your referral. At the very least they get time on antihistamines and steroids.

Hang in there.............give that girl a squeeze for me.
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm awfully sorry, :hug:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Adrianne » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm

jtalt7 wrote:Hang in there.............give that girl a squeeze for me.

:hug: :pray
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby starrlamia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm

:hug:
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues