Rufus the Dufus Mutt, Northern California

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Rufus the Dufus Mutt, Northern California

Postby adoptanapbt » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 pm

In March, I pulled Rufus was pulled from the Merced shelter where he'd been for over 2 months. He survived that long because the staff really liked him. He was labeled a pit bull by the shelter, but I was a little dismayed when I picked him up to find out the only identifiable breed in him is shar pei (he has a bulbous schnoz). I suspect the lack of interest in him is due to his brindle coloring and the fact that he is too much mix for people who want a pit and too pit bull-looking for those who want a mutt.

Rufus weighs about 50lbs and is a young adult (1-3yrs). He is a complete dork and will make games to amuse himself if he's not entertained. He isn't off the wall energetic, but he will need more than just a daily walk to keep him happy. He loves to run next to a bike and I just bought a pair of rollerskates that I may try out with him if I can make it down the driveway without falling down. He loves my cat Aggie, who beats Rufus up regularly and grooms Rufus' ears. Occasionally, they can actually coordinate their play styles and enjoy each other, but Rufus usually gets too wound up and forces Aggie to box Rufus on the head. Rufus and Desi get along fairly well, but unfortunately Desi doesn't like how quickly Rufus goes from "chase me" to "bark assault," so they don't play together that often.

Rufus came from the shelter vaccinated and neutered, so his adoption fee is very low. He's heartworm negative, microchipped, and dewormed. He's been through a round of basic obedience class and knows sit, down, shake, stand, come, and speak. He walks well on leash and is generally good about fetching. Rufus is crate trained, but gets whiney when he's crated and Desi goes out or is loose in the house. He does like to dig and recently earned his keep by trying to present me with a rat he killed in the yard. Rufus would do great with children, dog-savvy cats, and/or a female dog to beat him up regularly.

Photobucket is blocked by our new firewall at work, so I can't post pics until I get my internet connection up at home hopefully late this week. I have many pictures I can email if anyone is dying to see him, but in the meantime, you can see my "artsy" photo on his craigslist ad: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pet/1861605720.html
adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Re: Rufus the Dufus Mutt, Northern California

Postby adoptanapbt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Assorted random-quality pics. My lack of photography skills is definitely not helping get Rufus placed. :oops:

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby msvette2u » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:29 pm

All I can say is he's adorable, but adoptions are pathetically slow all over due to the economy, and summer, I guess :(
msvette2u

Postby adoptanapbt » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:26 pm

:pray *bump*

I made it to round 3 of my King Co, WA job hunt, and the next step would be a potential job offer. I'd really like to get Rufus in the home he deserves before I leave (if I leave). I would love to see Rufus in a house with lots of kids who can admire the toys he loves to run around and show off. He has no issues with fingers in his food, face, mouth, etc. He loves to be hugged and generally mauled. He is an awesome, if dorky, boy who deserves a lot more attention than he's getting with me!
adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:31 pm

It sounds like you might have to take him with you!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Prairietx » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:01 am

Ah he's definitely a handsome guy!
Prairietx
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs