What to do...what to do...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What to do...what to do...

Postby Nazonee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Hey guys been quite awhile butg summers and grandkids, well...

I need some input here. Petrie has HAPPY TAIL and it isn't very happy at the moment. Over the past 2 or so years she has busted her tail open about 7-8 times being happy. So, about 2 weeks ago she happied the tip right off. The tip of the bone is exposed and when I brought her to the vet it was black on the surrounding areas. Today after 2 weeks of healing the vet says she wants to amputate 2 inches of the tail. I kind of figured this to be the case but was still hoping. Anyway, my hubby and I have been talking and think this may just actually be a temporary fix. If only 2 inches are removed that still leaves a lot of tail to whack around. Has anyone ever dealt with this and what was the outcome or what is it you decided to do? Hubby and I are kind of leaning to a full dock. Please let me know, I need to make a decision soon and am in need of opinons.
Nazonee
Matured Bully

Re: What to do...what to do...

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 pm

I'd just have the whole thing docked, leaving a nub about 3 inches long. That way there will be no reoccurance. Knowing that he's prone to happy tail, I wouldn't want to pay for multiple surgeries. That's just me though, and I wouldn't like the look of a half tail - either docked or whole for me. :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nazonee » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Thank you. I think I just needed some confirmation I was doing the right thing. She is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. They will leave about 3 inches when it is over. The money wasn't so much the issue but the proceedure itself. Now I guess we will have to start calling her stumpy...
Nazonee
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:41 pm

Awwh...I went through happy tail with my old girl a few weeks ago but luckily we caught it before it got too bad. If I had had to amputate, I would've taken the whole tail too.

I bet your pup will look sweet with a stumpy tail.

Good luck with the surgery!!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:08 am

Nazonee wrote: The money wasn't so much the issue but the procedure itself.

I agree - Having to be put under anesthesia more times than necessary is risky. I'm sorry if I made it sound like money was the main issue :oops: :) I didn't mean for it to come out that way.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues