Mica-7 month old female in Baltimore

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Mica-7 month old female in Baltimore

Postby Otis » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 am

Mica is a 7 month old pit bull pup who needs a forever home. She a little under 30 pounds so she's going to be a tiny girl. She was found wandering the streets of Baltimore, wormy, beat up and a fearful.
In the few days I've had Mica she has opened up and turned into a very solid little pit bull! She's a lover and a cuddler through and through, she wants to be as close to you as possible at all times.
She is very food motivated and SMART! She already has a strong grasp of what the clicker means, and is constantly pushing herself further to get the click. She is always willing to learn something new for a bit of a cheese and even works for boring old kibble! I think she'd be a stellar obedience dog. Food is more important to her then other dogs on walks!

Dogs: I'm unsure of how Mica will be with other dogs. So far my assessment is-she has no clue how to interact. Ashes is not the easiest dog for another pup to get along with-but so far I have been pleased with their interactions. There were two scuffles while they were playing, but I have yet to see that side of Mica since. She has a strong desire to snuggle and be close to Ashes, if only Ashes were more willing! She takes correction well and backs down with Ashes "claims" an object or food.
Cats: I think Mica is very workable with cats. When I first brought her home she was zeroed in and ready to chase them down. After only a few days, she can now be in the same room with them on leash and is far more focused on me then them. She even got smacked in the face a few times and backed down with her ears back. Its a definite possibility!

Mica is full of energy, but so far its easily expelled. I think she'll be a fetcher in no time! She walks well on the leash, but is still a little unsure about walks. Mica takes a minute to adjust to new situations, but I feel confident this will pass with time. Her ability to move on form "scary moments" is admirable! She responds to verbal correction and redirection very well, its not hard to get her to stop doing something undesirable. I gentle "ah ah" will have Mica running towards you asking "well what DO you want me to do?"

She is learning the crate is a positive place, but separation anxiety is going to have to be worked on with this girl. She is brilliant with work to eat toys!

She will go to her new home up to date on shots, with heart worm/flea preventative and spayed.

Videos of Mica:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTybztXH_nI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwV-c9Rk_68
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Re: Mica-7 month old female in Baltimore

Postby danah515 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm

She seems perfect!! :inlove: Good luck.
danah515
Adolescent Bully

Postby Otis » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Mica has been getting much better with other dogs. She absolutely adores Ashes and wants to do everything she does-but she is also testing her boundaries. She listens with Ashes says "knock it off," which is something even Ashes herself hasn't quite figured out lol
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 am

I keep the kitchen baby gated most of the time as the "cat room." She's been in the kitchen before and loves it, so she is most definitely not afraid of it.

Today I rolled out of bed and started preparing dog food, I hadn't put the gate up yet. I was wondering why Mica wasn't talking smack at my feet, and I looked up to see her sitting patiently where the gate was! This girl is SMART! I didn't teach her that!

It looks like I am going to transport Mica up to New Hampshire to the Animal Rescue League. I still need to talk to the director to make sure she is pit bull savvy, she is a good friend of my aunts so I know that Mica will be taken care of and I will be aware of what happens to her. Adoptions are so slow in the area right now, and unfortunately it seems as though the rescue people(the crowd I want to adopt Mica) go to rescues to adopt-not to private fosters. Its understandable, and its great people are supporting rescues. I've had two people interested in Mica in the time I have been listing her. One person asked how much she cost(the first and only thing they asked about) and I said I was not interested in having them adopt her.
The other e-mail correspondence was oh so encouraging:
What they wrote:
I really don't understand how you gonna make a choice for some one else if you spay her you should keep her its people like you who fizzle up chocolate for pit bull lovers
What I wrote:
Because I don't want to add to the gross overpopulation of pit bulls?
Them:
Then u shouldn't invest in them leave them alone bunghole logic
Me:
I rescue them. This pup was found wandering the streets of Baltimore, skinny and homeless. My current pit bull was also a rescue. Any other dog who has entered my home has been a rescue, and I will continue to do so until I'm dead.
Them:
Good 4 u its not right 2 make the choice for people if u not keeping them but hey I woudnt of felt right if I was
Me:
Unpapered dogs with unknown parantedge should not be bred. What if there were aggression or serious health issues in her ancestors? Just because she personally doesn't have them, doesn't mean she doesn't carry them. Breeding dogs is an art that should be left to the professionals.

Annnyway, we aren't having luck here! I'm just not equipped to foster a puppy. She's made leaps and bounds of progress, and she truly is a wonderful dog whom I would have loved to foster again some day if the time was right. I feel a bit like a failure sending her off to rescue-but I know I made a bad choice and officially overwhelmed myself.

If your enroute from Bmore to NH and have any interest in Mica let me know!
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:50 pm

I think Mica is very, very lucky to have found you, and that you brought her from a handful of a dog to a handful of a dog with some serious prospects! You've done really impressive work with her and should feel proud of what you've done!
Amie
Regulator

Postby Otis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:48 am

Thank you Amie, she's a good girl, a really good girl.
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:29 am

bump for this little girl

She's made huge strides with the cats. They can now walk freely through the same room that she is in, and she is under excellent voice control. She's obedient and mild mannered. Only time she gets riled up is when the food bowl comes out, and even then its just some "a roo roo roos" and a bit of popping out of her sit stay for a little air spin.

She struggles a bit on walks because she is overwhelmed. Walks very nicely in an ez walk harness. Does well with on leash greetings with other dogs. Downtown baltimore is a tough place to learn that the world isn't a scary place, but she's getting there with time. Play time has been going well for her with other dogs, but management is needed. Mica does not understand when dogs say "no more!" (though she does understand when cats do). Her owner will need to step in and stop play, but she does stop when she is redirected. Mica needs to be managed around other dogs and food. She is not food aggressive, but if the other dog says "get away" she will get riled up.

She has great ball drive, and is getting there with dropping the ball as opposed to playing catch me if you can. She has a naturally muscular build, and she will look fantastic as an adult! She's finally over a gnarly case of worms (round, tape and whip) and is looking great.
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:48 pm

She sounds nice, do you have her listed on PBRC yet? If so, I could give you a courtesy posting on our AdoptA Pet site in Richmond VA
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Otis » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:10 pm

After I have Mica evaluated it would be great if she could be listed! I need to get to know her a bit better, she is "off the market" until I sort through some issues.
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs