Dealing with Rescues on Adopting

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Dealing with Rescues on Adopting

Postby Maryellen » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:24 pm

When dealing with a rescue group when you are ready to adopt a dog, please please do your research on the rescue group involved. How long are they in business? are they Nonprofit? do they have adoption contracts? screening processes?are you allowed to visit the dog in the foster home once approved? will they be there for the dog if ANY issues come up? Will they take the dog back if something happens?Do they do home checks, vet checks, reference checks and a very involved interview with you?

Its very sad that some people have to get involved with the breed the first time on a negative note.. to better help those that are ready to adopt, please do all your research on the rescue group too. Dont be afraid to ask for help from anyone.. Dont be afraid to ask all the above questions and more to the rescue group you are thinking of dealing with..

From one rescue person to anyone wanting to adopt.

mods, please make this a sticky in the introduction section and here too.
Maryellen

Re: Dealing with Rescues on Adopting

Postby blackeyedblonde » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks for posting that. I'm thinking about rescuing, and this was really helpful to me.
blackeyedblonde
Newborn Bully

Postby PinKster » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Very true, I had a bad experience with my local rescue which resulted in them trying to take my dog away from me. Hopefully, I can just try the shelter next time around.
PinKster
Matured Bully

Postby ChelseaB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:19 am

True! This goes both ways, and applies to shelters too! Make sure you're getting all the facts about the dog in question. Ask for vet history reports, and that they go over them with you first.

When I adopted my red nose boy, my boy friend and I were interviewed in depth before being approved. However, the shelter/foster mommy were less than forthcoming with us. I give them the benefit of the doubt in that they really needed him to find a good home, but my baby boy had an expired rabies certificate, out of date boosters, a recent case of Lymes Disease, and a problem with his paw pads, making long walks very painful, and unable to be completed. Not of which I was made awake of. Not that I wouldn't have wanted him anyway (I was in LOVE with him) but it sure would have saved me a pretty penny at the vets office trying to figure out what was wrong with him. Not to mention, have you ever tried carrrying a 65 pound Pit Bull half a mile down a hiking trail? Not fun!! My feet hurt worse than his did by the end of it!
ChelseaB
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs