Can't find the perfect diet???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What type of food do you feed your dogs???

Timberwolf Organics
17%
California Natural
4%
Canidae
29%
Flint River
3%
Innova
14%
Innovative Veterinary Diets Duck and Potato
1%
Natural Balance
17%
PetGuard LifeSpan
1%
Pinnacle
1%
Wellness Super5Mix Hormone-Free Lamb
13%

Total votes : 425

Can't find the perfect diet???

Postby Ariel Payopay » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:28 am

This is just a poll I want to post just to so everyone can get an idea of what type of foods they feed they're dog. Just in case you want to switch your dog on a different diet. I've chosen the Top 10 Dog Foods listed from Whole Dog Journals February 2001 issue. I know there are other good dog foods out there. If you have any in mind, feel free to discuss experiences with other dog foods.

How come I don't see my commercial dog food listed???
Recent studies show that many commercial pet foods may contribute to pet disease because of their poor nutritional value. But, by reading and understanding the labels, you can decide what is best for your pet.

Did you know commercial pet food also can contain condemned parts of animals that are not fit for humans to eat? These foods may contain moldy or spoiled food that is full of carcinogens. Some pet commercial foods can contain dirt, rocks and even wood shavings.

And, just because the label says there are no preservatives, doesn't mean that its true. If the preservatives are in the food before the pet food manufacturer receives it, they can say it has no preservatives as long as they did not add it.

Try to avoid ingredients called BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytolulene). These are both known to cause liver and kidney disease.

Also be aware of ingredients that have been listed more than once. For example, manufacturers can hide the fact that the main ingredient is sugar, if they split it by calling it high fructose and also corn syrup.

The main thing is to make sure that the first four ingredients that are listed in your pets food are meat products and not grains. Pets are carnivores and get their nutrition from meat. Most grains have little or no nutritional value and your cat or dog cannot digest them very well.

You can read more about the ingredients in dog foods by clicking here.... Click me...

Quality Foods Should Contain:
Superior sources of protein, either whole fresh meats or single source meat meal (ex. chicken meal rather than poultry meal)
A whole-meat source as one of the first two ingredients.
Whole, unprocessed grains, vegetables, and other foods. Nutrients and enzymes are more likely to be found in unprocessed foods.

Quality foods should contain a MINIMUM of the following:
Food fragments - lower-cost by-products of another food manufacturing process, such as brewer's rice and wheat bran...Manufacturers usually include at least one fragment to help lower costs. Beware any food that includes several fragments.
Meat by-products (not handled as carefully as whole meat) - any food that contains meat by-products as the MAJOR protein source indicates a low-quality product.

HIGH-QUALITY FOODS SHOULD NOT CONTAIN:
Fats or proteins named generically (ex. animal fat/poultry fat instead of beef fat/ lamb meal)
Artificial preservatives (BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin)
Artificial colors.
Sweeteners (corn syrup, sucrose, ammoniated glycyrrhizin) to improve unappealing food
Propylene glycol - a toxic substance when consumed in large amounts; added to some "chewy" foods to keep them moist.

B.A.R.F.
One of the best and natural diets for your dog is B.A.R.F. (Bones and Raw Food) You can find out more on this diet by clicking here... Click me!!! (Information collected by Jane Johnson.)
Last edited by Ariel Payopay on Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Payopay » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:42 pm

desertAPBT wrote:Hey you dont have Solid GOld Wolf King on there. It is their Bison based diet and the dogs here are doing great on it. I love it!

Yes I've heard of Solid Gold foods. I've heard alot of good things about their products too.
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Best diet

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:30 pm

One word - BARF :lol:

Seriously though, I switched to BARF and LOVE it!!! I don't have to scoop poop in my yard anymore (it turns into a chalky powder and breaks up then dissolves right away). Their poop has very little odor (it doesn't smell at all like dog poo - but has a very distinct smell that is yucky, but not very strong and doesn't smell at all as soon as it dries up). My dogs shed less, poo less, drink way less water (they get most of the moisture they need from the food), look healthier, snore less, don't fart anymore...the list goes on and on.

REL, how come BARF wasn't on your list? :P
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby Ariel Payopay » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:09 pm

I placed it as a good suggestion. I know it's good. I just listed regular dog foods. I wish I could afford B.A.R.F. :(
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Re: BARF

Postby HugABull1 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:46 pm

hey REL, if you work it right BARF can be cheap cheap cheap. I get my chicken backs/necks for 15cents per pound. That's half their food right there and Angel who is a 50lb adult only eats 250g of it a day (about half a pound). The other half (just under half a pound/day) of her diet is an even mix of veggies (whatever is cheap and in season) and ground meat (i just use hamburger, b/c it's cheap and mix in offal and fish here and there). Gage eats twice what she does b/c he's a growing pup still. I'd say it costs me less than $30/month per dog.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby EmmeAndCharley » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:26 pm

My dogs get Solid Gold. Here is the website, if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/
EmmeAndCharley

What I use...

Postby wndrtwns04 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:54 pm

I buy Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul made by Diamond. You can find stores that sell it on the internet. It's about $20 for 18lbs. Read the ingredients, sounds good enough for me...LOL I would like to try the raw diet in the future maybe. The store near me doesn't sell the wet food so I buy Wellness and feed 1/2 a can daily as a treat. Just my opinion.
wndrtwns04

Postby Mutt blood » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:58 pm

I can't stand the amount of corn-based foods that get sold in stores all over. Personally, I just switched from the Iams/Eukanuba companies(read what Diane Jessup has to say about their sponsorship of Animal Planet and the anti-pitbull programming on the channel). My dogs liked all of them. But I recently switched to Professional(www.professionalpetfood.com) and I feed them the Chicken and Rice Ultra formula for the high protein and fat content. :thumbsup: They love it and it is low in ash as a plus. I just have to be careful of how much food given(usually 2 cups each a day) because they will eat as much as they can get their claws on.
Mutt blood
Newborn Bully

Postby twiseowl » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:52 pm

I'm in the process of switching to raw feeding. So far it's been pretty cheap, because my hubby brought home 3 deer ribcages / spines, which each fed the dogs for few couple of days. I'd love to have a place to get chicken parts as cheap as you are, though, Chilli! I can find leg quarters for .39 a pound in 10 pound packages at a Wal Mart Supercenter, but it's a drive, and I want to give them more variety than just chicken.

I'm basing what I feed on the whole animal wild dogs would typically eat. I don't add any veggies, except for a few table scraps. I'd looked into BARF, and then found this, and it makes so much more sense to me. My dogs already catch the occasional chicken or rabbit that gets out of my fence, and there is usually NOTHING left but a few feathers. They know what they are supposed to be eating, and it's NOT kibble! :))

I've just started, and I'm hoping to see the results Chilli has. Already seen it in the yard, little to nothing left. No more stinky piles to step in! Heck, that in itself is almost enough reason to change! :doggie:
twiseowl

Postby chewalotopus » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:10 pm

I feed my baby science diet puppy - I don't know any of the "evils" about science diet foods...are there any that anyone knows of?
chewalotopus

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:37 pm

This is the most helpful site I have found for learning about dog foods:

http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

It tells you what's good and bad, and has a chart of all the brands so you can compare the ingrediants.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby chewalotopus » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:45 am

thanks so much for this thread and everyone's input!!!

I started the switch to Canidae today...my boyfreind tasted it & says that it tastes pretty good :oops: then he breathed in my face and it smelled like dog breath coming out of his mouth! eeewwwww!! :yucky:

anyway, the dog likes it so far, and it's mell and texture is way better that the science diet...
chewalotopus

Postby formula1 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:04 pm

A lot of info on the web that is eye opening about what is in most commercial dog foods. I use Wysong, I chose it after a lot of research and my neighbor and my brother now use it for their dogs, the dogs like it much better than the old stuff we used to feed them. We also do a little bit of BARF as well as various fruits and vegetables (they love fruits and veggies).

Science Diet is one of the commercial dog foods that is supposedly not good for dogs either and I won't feed to my dogs.
formula1

Postby MLBrown » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:34 pm

Eukanuba
MLBrown

Postby jmann4 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:12 pm

I feed a BARF diet
jmann4

Next

Return to Health Issues