B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby willyg44 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Oh and also, they have green tripe which I was thinking of trying, but don't exactly know how much I would feed if I went with say that performance blend ground.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm

The Meat Eaters blend looks nar-nar to me. and especially for $2.40 a pound ! yikes!!

INGREDIENTS
BEEF, BEEF BY PRODUCTS, LIVER, FINELY GROUND BONE, FISH MEAL MEAT AND BONE MEAL (PORK/POULTRY), WHOLE EGG, HOMINY WHEAT MIDDS, CALCIUM CARBONATE, IRON CARBONATE, COPPER SULFATE, COBALT CARBONATE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, ZINC CARBONATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D SUPPLEMENT, DI ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX (SOURCE OF VITAMIN K), THIAMINE, HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, PRYIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, VITAMIN B-12, NIACIN, PANTOTHENIC ACID, BIOTIN, FOLIC ACID.

If you're going to buy anything from them then I'd go with the Performance Dog formula but honestly, that doesn't really float my boat either. Out of 6 ingredients, why is salt in there at all? strange.

WTR Green Tripe. My dogs eat is as a meal so they each get about a pound. We recently moved up to buying it in the 5 pound chubs which is 1/5 pounds for the big dogs and .5 pounds for the little guy. Then I just feed less the next day to balance the amount out.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby willyg44 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:39 pm

FransterDoo wrote:The Meat Eaters blend looks nar-nar to me. and especially for $2.40 a pound ! yikes!!

INGREDIENTS
BEEF, BEEF BY PRODUCTS, LIVER, FINELY GROUND BONE, FISH MEAL MEAT AND BONE MEAL (PORK/POULTRY), WHOLE EGG, HOMINY WHEAT MIDDS, CALCIUM CARBONATE, IRON CARBONATE, COPPER SULFATE, COBALT CARBONATE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, ZINC CARBONATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D SUPPLEMENT, DI ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX (SOURCE OF VITAMIN K), THIAMINE, HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, PRYIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, VITAMIN B-12, NIACIN, PANTOTHENIC ACID, BIOTIN, FOLIC ACID.

If you're going to buy anything from them then I'd go with the Performance Dog formula but honestly, that doesn't really float my boat either. Out of 6 ingredients, why is salt in there at all? strange.

WTR Green Tripe. My dogs eat is as a meal so they each get about a pound. We recently moved up to buying it in the 5 pound chubs which is 1/5 pounds for the big dogs and .5 pounds for the little guy. Then I just feed less the next day to balance the amount out.

Thanks for the info. Hmm I'm getting skeptical now. I wanted to order ground because sometimes Leo refused to chew bones and I'm worried something will get stuck. Just an fyi, it's 1.40/lb not 2.40/lb. from the co-op, I thought it was a pretty good price. The order form link I gave is the co-op pricing. I don't know what to do now =\ I guess the performance blend doesn't seem to have byproducts in it which is good. The salt confused me as well, but I also read of some people on here adding salt to diets so I thought it wasn't bad. I'll have to think about this a bit more I guess. The tripe sounds good, I'd like to start incorporating that.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby Scarsmommy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks for the pork shoulder info. Mine did great with the pork neck bones.. and really seemed to enjoy it. Pork shoulder is always on sale at our local grocery store.. so I will add that to my list of meats to get them. :peace:
Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:55 pm

willyg44 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Hmm I'm getting skeptical now. I wanted to order ground because sometimes Leo refused to chew bones and I'm worried something will get stuck. Just an fyi, it's 1.40/lb not 2.40/lb. from the co-op, I thought it was a pretty good price.

$1.40 isn't bad for ground, i guess. though it does depend on whatelse is around in your area. But that's still abouve my price point for anything other than "exotic" protein sources.

Let's talk more about "refuses to chew bones". I wish i had video of Hank (4yrs old and raise on raw) handy b/c he doesn't chew like people chew. He just crunches it up enough to swallow it. and that's totally normal.

The salt confused me as well, but I also read of some people on here adding salt to diets so I thought it wasn't bad. I'll have to think about this a bit more I guess.

You'll have to refresh my memory b/c I've never heard of raw feeders adding salt. It's really, really unnessecary though they may be attempting to use it in some sort of preservation (perservative) aspect.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby willyg44 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:29 pm

The salt for preservation makes sense. I wish I knew how much they used.

I have looked all over the area for meat markets/raw food co-ops on Yahoo Groups, and this was the only one I could find. His poop came out blackish and tarry like there was a lot of blood in it a couple of weeks ago, and before he let the poop out he was breathing heavily and stuff. The next morning he was fine, so I attributed it to him swallowing too big of a bone and it doing something to his internals. Could be wrong, but the problem never came up again, so I don't think it's any kind of disease or anything else.

As far as what he does, when we first started feeding him chicken leg quarters, and backs he would chew pretty nicely. Just as you said, breaking up the bones just enough. Now, I feed him a leg quarter and if I don't supervise the eating and kind of hold the chicken to make sure he chews it, he'll swallow a whole drumstick if he can fit it down his throat! With turkey wings and bigger bones, he seems to break them up, but it's mostly with the chicken he has this problem, since the bones are small enough that he can just swallow it whole. It's like jeez, enjoy your food! lol And another reason I want ground is that it's a lot of prep work to skin and trim the fat off of these meats we get, and I am going to have to leave my fiancee for work in a couple of months, and she isn't going to have time to do all of that. So it would just be easier.

I wish I could find somewhere in central/north Florida that offered something better, but I've looked for a long time, and nothing has come up :(
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:46 pm

willyg44 wrote:His poop came out blackish and tarry like there was a lot of blood in it a couple of weeks ago, and before he let the poop out he was breathing heavily and stuff. The next morning he was fine, so I attributed it to him swallowing too big of a bone and it doing something to his internals. Could be wrong, but the problem never came up again, so I don't think it's any kind of disease or anything else.

Without being there I can't really give you a better answer but he could have been irritated by any nubmer of things. Black and tarry typically happens with lots of heart or other organs. Digested blood (that could indicate an issue farther up) looks typically like coffee grinds.

. Now, I feed him a leg quarter and if I don't supervise the eating and kind of hold the chicken to make sure he chews it, he'll swallow a whole drumstick if he can fit it down his throat! With turkey wings and bigger bones, he seems to break them up, but it's mostly with the chicken he has this problem, since the bones are small enough that he can just swallow it whole.

ah, yeah. The Hurry Up issue! The frist thing that comes to mind is to make sure that he's not feeling pressured to finish fast or get his food down. Each of mine has dedicated time in the kitchen behind a baby gate so they don't feel like they need to eat fast so the other dog's don't get it.

You may also want to try feeding semi-frozen. The meat is stiffer and the coolness means that the dog has to work on it a bit more.

or you can go bigger. My boy Hank is our smartest eater and we'll give him a cornish game hen that's just slightly cut up the breast bone. He actually has to think about thing and not just mindlessly eat.

And another reason I want ground is that it's a lot of prep work to skin and trim the fat off of these meats we get, and I am going to have to leave my fiancee for work in a couple of months, and she isn't going to have time to do all of that. So it would just be easier.

um, why are you trimming? If he's a tad on the chunky size then you can cut back amounts or feed a small meal every other day. But honestly, every part of the animal has value. Don't toss it. Plus you are right - it's a total pain in the butt. Even more reason to have your dog do the work for you! :)

It sounds like you are able to get the usuals (beef, pork and poultry) thourgh the grocery store circuit?

You could get yourself a nice grinder and home grind the poultry. Save days for "bone days" and feed bigger bone items.

These guys carry some quality ground products including Primal:
http://naturalpetshopsupplies.com/petstore/food.html
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby willyg44 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Ah didn't realize you had replied!

Well, as far as the trimming goes, WOW I can't believe I have been trimming the skin/bigger parts of fat for all of this time spending hours in my kitchen sink for nothing!! Doing some research on what you said, I see you are right and there is good nutritional value in the skin. YOU JUST MADE MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER :D You have no idea haha. Well, that's great news, I think we'll stick to this grocery store around here as their prices aren't bad at all.

As far as that other earth pets store, they do have those packaged raw logs, but they are a pretty penny and out of my price range. But yeah since I don't have to trim, it doesn't matter now!

I tried feeding Leo semi frozen and it worked!! I then thawed them out totally and I guess he got used to chewing the semi frozen meat, that now he's a pretty good chewer. He breaks up the bones just enough I think as you said.

Well I'm going to go tell my fiance she'll be so happy to hear the news! Thank youuuu
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 pm

So glad I could help!!! I honestly couldn't do raw with multiple dogs and the travel/competing we do if it wasn't super easy.

I hope if your fiance will feel free tp post if she has any questions while you are gone.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby ArdentWinter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:25 am

I just came along this thread and was wondering how much it costs to feed your dogs?

I have a 46ish pound dog ( give or take a little) that i think will benefit from this diet but i am concerned about costs. I know prices vary from place to place but can i just get a ball park of what you guys expect to pay monthly?

Thanks
ArdentWinter
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:43 am

I spend $30-40/mo to feed a 65lb dog. He eats about a pound a day, as he is a senior, low drive dog. However, when I started feeding raw, I didn't know anything and was spending $120/mo to feed a 8mo old active 40 lb pup. Shopping at Whole Foods for meats did not help the bank account!

If you want to feed raw, you'll need to invest in a freezer to keep your average price per pound low.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:55 pm

I have learned to shop around.. I spend about 80 to 90 a month.. but that feeds 4 dogs who each eat between 1 to 2 pounds a piece. My advice would be to do your research and check out & compare prices from your local meat markets.. also you can join different yahoo groups to see what else is available in your area.
Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby willyg44 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:49 am

Scarsmommy wrote:I have learned to shop around.. I spend about 80 to 90 a month.. but that feeds 4 dogs who each eat between 1 to 2 pounds a piece. My advice would be to do your research and check out & compare prices from your local meat markets.. also you can join different yahoo groups to see what else is available in your area.

Hey where do you get your meat? :) I live a couple hours from Tampa, but travel that way occasionally. If you have some good, trusted markets in your area that you don't mind sharing please let me know, thanks!!

And per the question about cost, I currently feed Leo 1.8 pounds/day. It comes to about 40 per month on average. Sometimes if I'm feeling especially nice, I splurge a bit on some tasty beef for him :X
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby Scarsmommy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:15 am

There is a meat market right off of I-275 & Sligh ave called House of Meats. Its about 5 minutes from my house. I go there mainly because its the cheapest place I have found for my chicken quarters. 18 dollars for a 40 pound box of quarters. They also have all sorts of other goodies like chicken backs, huge turkey legs & turkey necks. They also have different types of hearts, kidney & liver. As well as whole rabbits (skinned) and whole chickens (skinned).
Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 am

for anyone else who feeds whole prey, do you ever have issues with... umm.... furballs?
maggie was chewing on a deer leg recently, and it had fur. she took to it like a trooper and just munched right through it. i was pretty proud of that because she's never had anything with fur before. BUT, the next day i came home from work and there was a small furry vomit on the floor.

i've got a few more deer legs left (2 deer, 8 legs, one down, 7 to go! lol), but i'm not thrilled about the idea of coming home to little hairy vomits after each one.

on a completely unrelated note: there's someone fairly local that's advertising meat rabbits on craigslist. they're cheaper than the supermarket, but still not super cheap. i was thinking of getting a couple to try out, but i'm not sure if there's any nasties that i have to look out for in rabbits? :dunno:
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues