Who's Had Hives?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Who's Had Hives?

Postby southern_comfort » Sat May 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Atticus broke out in hives last night after our final bathroom trip. I think maybe it's a grass allergy because the maintenace guys came and mowed this afternoon so it was freshly cut when we went out. Poor boy was covered in hives from head to tail. Going to start wiping him down and dosing him with Benadryl from now on.
southern_comfort
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 29, 2010 6:07 pm

No hives for us so far this year...fingers crossed.

Khan has some other weird bumps though that seem to keep coming and going :po: I'll have the vet look at them when he goes in for his lepto vaccine.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Charlie » Mon May 31, 2010 5:12 pm

I am so happy to have found this thread about hives and to read about this topic on PBF. Charlie broke out in hives the other day and we are not sure what she is allergic to, she did get them after a long walk in a new park so we think it was something at the park that caused them. We have her on Benadryl now and she is looking much better. The info here on PBF was a great help and we now know we are not the only one with a pitbull with hives roflmao

Sniff and licks,

Charlie
Charlie
Newborn Bully

Postby Flibgit » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 am

Both my dogs came in with hives last night. I'm 98% certain that they're mosquito bites on my kids because the skeeters were awful last night. They each got the max dose of Benadryl and seem fine now.

(I get huge welts from bug bites, so it's not so shocking to me that my dogs do as well)
Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby tia_leigha » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:09 pm

I wanted to say that this past summer DOzer's hives were at a minimum. On his worst day I maybe saw 5-6 spaced out ones.
However, he has been itchy after adjusting to having a new ,but very small yard. His armpits are scratched raw atm and he's been on meds for that.
We still bathe him often, and he is eating TOTW.
All of the pets currently are on and have been on flea/parasite/heartworm prevention

I hope we dont encounter any hives any time soon :pray
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Stella has had hives from God knows what, and some nights in the summer, after being out for all of 5 minutes, they'll be covered in 10+ mosquito bites. :/
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:09 pm

tia_leigha wrote:I wanted to say that this past summer DOzer's hives were at a minimum. On his worst day I maybe saw 5-6 spaced out ones.
However, he has been itchy after adjusting to having a new ,but very small yard. His armpits are scratched raw atm and he's been on meds for that.
We still bathe him often, and he is eating TOTW.
All of the pets currently are on and have been on flea/parasite/heartworm prevention

I hope we dont encounter any hives any time soon :pray

Exact same situation for us. :( Super itchy but minimal hive outbreak. She actually just had her 1st hive outbreak in a year. Blah. Took her to the vet today and got some antibiotics and pred to get her healed before it gets any worse. September last year she was at her worst too. That's when we started Atopica. I hate September. :(

No baths and Wellness Ocean Core. No bugs other than tiny little red ants and the occasional mosquito. There is a tree that overhangs in the new backyard and the yard is mostly dirt. I think the ragweed and mold is really high right now too. Hopefully a quick Pred and antiobiotic treatment and she'll be back to perfection on Atopica.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jazzy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I can't remember if I responded this year or not.

Veronica's allergy season is July - mid November.

July & August were pretty good. With the allergy shot she didn't have any hives to speak of and I don't believe she needed daily zyrtec.

Going into Septemebr things started getting worse. She has had a few instances of mild hives (even with her allergy shot) and has needed benadry on several occasions. She has been very itchy and has needed daily zyrtec.

Less than 2 months to go. :thumbsup:
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby 1lila1 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 pm

*fingers crossed* no hives yet this year! Last year may have just been his puppy immune system working itself out as we were at the vet five times because of his hives. He is still an allergy dog with the red feet and stinky bacterial smell if he doesnt get a bath right on schedule but no hives so far!
1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby drider » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:09 am

Check one, hopefully last my Diesel had hives last week. I was shocked she ran out of the dog house like any normal morning but with bumps and hives! Gave her benadryl for 24 hours still did not go away took her to the vet got a cortizone shot? Hives went away, gave her the predinsone pill for one day only, but she showed the signs of extra urinating and eating! So far so good no more hives, I suspect bug bite or she ate a spider I mean again she sleeps outside so I doubt it was a bee or wasp at night.
drider
Newborn Bully

Postby squid » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 am

GIR come inside today after running around outside for a little while with hives over her rear end, I gave her some benodryl and washed her off with cold water, If they aren't down by thursday she's going into the vet. but they seems to be getting smaller.
squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jazzy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:34 am

V. has had some minor hives (with her allergy shots, zyrtec and benadryl).

She was really itchy the beginning of November; and she still needs her zyrtec.

Praying for the first good frost....
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby greenkozi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 am

bumping this back up, because i need some help-

boyfriend's dog is white, so her hives are really noticeable. they're all over her body and have been there for about two weeks. they seem to be worse when she comes back from daycare 3x a week, but they don't go away. they don't seem to bother her that much- she rarely itches them.

so what works? do we keep her on benadryl every day? i don't really want to put her on pred, but will, i suppose. the daycare ladies are giving her oatmeal baths, and i can suggest he gives her apple cider baths as well. if they're not bothering her, do i let them be? or is it a sign of something way more serious (my thought?) or just allergies? she is very sensitive to fleas, and he frontlines her regularly, but he needs to get on the cats since i'm sure they're bringing in the fleas.

i'm so glad this is one of the things i haven't had to deal with with mac! (knock on wood) probably because he doesn't get out much ;)
greenkozi
Bully Ambassador

Who's Had Hives?

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Well since they have been around and are not going away I'd head to the vet first.

Then I'd start ruling out environmental or food sources. Capone gets hives from bananas Lol
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Are the hives new since going to daycare? It sounds like something environmental is affecting her. I'd start by not taking her to daycare for a while to see if the hives go away. If you can maintain her hive free for a while then take her back to daycare. If she flares up again you have your answer.

Sadie has had hives. Both girls had a skin reaction to something but Sadie expressed it in hives. I think it was a topical flea + heartworm medication I gave the girls before we went on a vacation to california. It was advantage multi. I dont plan on giving it to them again to test said theory. They had hives (Sadie) and rashes (Violet) for weeks and slowly got better as (I assume) advantage slowly started leaving their system. After talking with a dermatologist he said the bully breeds are very skin sensitive. Could be food, could be toxins, could be cleaning agents, could be allergens...so many things. Our pups are sensitive babies.

The dermatologist said if I ever get a case of hives again to come in ASAP so they can assess the situation. A regular vet is cheaper but the derm will be able to scrutinize the situation better since that is their specialty.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues