Got a Mouthy Pup?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
hesaias
Newborn Bully

Postby hesaias » Mon May 26, 2008 9:50 pm

When Gabby was a pup, would touch her on he snout with my finger and tell her "no teeth" if her teeth touched my skin. I did not swat her, or touch her forcefully (snouts are sensitive) but, I made sure I spoke with authority. At 4 yrs old, when we play now, if her teeth touch me she quickly begins to lick me as if she is saying "sorry"

I don't know if this would work with any other dog, but it worked with mine!

MissLelee
Newborn Bully

Postby MissLelee » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:59 am

My puppy Jigga is such a good puppy bu tthe mouthing is driving me insane... he is 9 weeks today and I am grateful for all the replies and tips that have been posted... I fill like I have an arsounal ready for all his puppy attacks... LOL... now the other day we were in my room and he wouldn't stop chewing on my pillows so I put him out side my door and closed the dorr and then he decided to put in work on my door frame and baseboards... what can I do to prevent this behavior in the future.. I went to Walgreens and bout apple cider vinegar and diluted it with water and sprayed everything he could get his teeth on but I dont want to always have to do this as I dont want my house smelling of vinegar... so I will try some of these tips here in this thread but any other suggestions when it comes to chewing on baseboards/door frames would be great... we are moving on the first and I want to be able to get my security depost back whenever we move from that place in the future...

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:20 pm

when Riley was a puppy I crated him while I was gone until at least 6months and then I let him out while I was gone and left stuffed animals all over the place and he NEVER peed in the house or pooped and he NEVER tore up anything except his toys and a rawhide too big for him lol he could not do much damage but he was busy lol

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re:

Postby lilangel » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Buddha Bear wrote:My buddy Buddha mouths allllllllllllllll the time, even when I try petting him, but hes only 8 weeks, so Im guessing its going to have to be repetition of letting him know how it feels. At first when I walked out on him to "lick my wounds" he would whine, but now he just wanders off sometimes just laying there, but its not the mouthing Im worried about right now, cause I have a hard time walking him to the bathroom outside on his leash!.. :crybaby:

LOL. He'll get over it.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re:

Postby lilangel » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:48 pm

MissLelee wrote:My puppy Jigga is such a good puppy bu tthe mouthing is driving me insane... he is 9 weeks today and I am grateful for all the replies and tips that have been posted... I fill like I have an arsounal ready for all his puppy attacks... LOL... now the other day we were in my room and he wouldn't stop chewing on my pillows so I put him out side my door and closed the dorr and then he decided to put in work on my door frame and baseboards... what can I do to prevent this behavior in the future.. I went to Walgreens and bout apple cider vinegar and diluted it with water and sprayed everything he could get his teeth on but I dont want to always have to do this as I dont want my house smelling of vinegar... so I will try some of these tips here in this thread but any other suggestions when it comes to chewing on baseboards/door frames would be great... we are moving on the first and I want to be able to get my security depost back whenever we move from that place in the future...

A crate can be your best friend. Just plop him in a crate with some toys instead of leaving him unsupervised to destroy your home.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Re:

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:32 pm

NDame616 wrote:Is the term "puppy" a generic term for dog in here?

in other words, would this work on a 1.5 year old dog? I'm adopting a girl who is VERY mouthie....would these techniques work on her....or is it only as effective if they are younger?

Lily was around a year when I got her and very mouthy. It hurt bad. She has a big mouth. I taught her the word "gentle". We just did it a million times. I think now I would look at some sort of clicker training to teach it. I'm not great with the clicker though so maybe Stormi or Sirian might have some resources for that.

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Re: Got a Mouthy Pup?

Postby JobbiVickie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Lucy is mouthy in a different way. She licks my other dog, Brisco, in the mouth. Sometimes it happens when he comes to me for attention, other times it happens out of the blue. Is it a "passive-aggressive" action, or just affection?

fetep
Newborn Bully

Postby fetep » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 am

I got my pup a bit early 6 weeks 5 days old, (I know, I know. . Now) at about 8 weeks he became very mouthy, when he was awake thats all he wanted to do is chew on me or whoever was closest to him, I was quite concerned, I have had mouthy pups in the past but this was way worse...I was super nervous after I read they learn bite inhibition between 6 and 8 weeks from mom, and she was plucked from her mother at just over 6 weeks. So I thought I was in trouble with this pup. . well let me tell you he's almost 3 mos. now and with alot of coaching rarely mouths at all now, when he does he just puts his mouth on me and doesn't move, no biting down:-) He has however traded the biting for another habbit that is occasionally as annoying. . he's a licker, but hey I'll take the trade. He is much more loving, he doesn't act like he wants to bite your face anymore. . he is great! Thank Goodness!!! So to all of you folks out there with crazy mouthy pups, stick with the training and you shall be rewarded!!

Thanks to all of you that post your knowledge and ideas here for us rookies to use!

K

The Guy
Newborn Bully

Postby The Guy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:45 am

i visited wesley yesterday again. he went straight for the leash handle (the leash is chain) as soon as we went outside. sometimes hell get my arm, and ive got to entice him with something else like a ball that ive been bringing just for this purpose. i just wonder if im teaching him that jumping up for the leash will be rewarded with the ball. im just worried that ill be having a hard time getting his leash on him at all once he comes home tomorrow. well be able to work on this in the yard, but what should i do in the meantime? give him the ball right away, and let him chomp on that until we get outside? hes a good boy, just very excitable after being in a kennel all this time. i know hell calm down with time, but what can i do in the meantime? this makes my girlfriend especially nervous.

The Guy
Newborn Bully

Postby The Guy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 pm

i should also add that wesley is about 1 1/2 years old, and about 60 lbs, so hes no little guy! hes being neutered today, well have him tomorrow morning.

BravoTx
Newborn Bully

Postby BravoTx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:11 am

:goodpost: This forum is a Blessing! Logan is at the puppy biting age and friends have affectionatly nicknamed him "Lil Shark". :angel:

blackeyedblonde
Newborn Bully

Postby blackeyedblonde » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks so much for posting this article! It was really educational and helpful for me.

wdninjn
Adolescent Bully

Re:

Postby wdninjn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 pm

saraltx wrote:my 6.5 month old girl was mouthing a lot when she was younger. Yet now only when I thought she had calmed down, she is starting again and since she is stronger now, it can actually hurt. Mainly, when she is outside, she chases my legs and jumps up to hold on to my pants, but she snaps for my hands, too. I immediately walk away when she gets in that mood to show her that it is not appreciated, but I'm unsure if it is helping at all. She is a great pup and readily obeys other commands, but with this one she is really having a hard time.

I usualy correct then redirect wi a tug toy always gotta have a toy handy consistancy is is important

LouDiamondz
Newborn Bully

Postby LouDiamondz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 am

My Buddah is 6weeks and i've read these next few weeks are essential for him to be with his litter so he learns whats okay as far as biting. Due to the fact hes now away from his litter and home with me I've been using the techniques listed in this post and its defiantly going to take a while!! bite bite bite bite.. Buddah loves to bite! its frustrating because he does SO good one minute and the next hes chomping away! I'd like to hear y'all's biting stories :)

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:45 am

With a puppy that young, I find it helps me to think of them as their human age equivalent. A pup that age is like a 1 year old person. Very, very impulsive, almost no self control or planning, tiny attention span.

Return to “Training and Behavior”