My dog food ratings(that ive used)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

My dog food ratings(that ive used)

Postby abman » Fri May 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Some of the foods that i didnt like in the beginning i am starting to really like. I always add some meat to the dogs diet but the kibble i sometimes change.

Canidae: didnt like it at first but now i do. It seems to shed fat while keeping the muscle on and can feed less of it when compared to corn based diets.

nutro high energy: i add this in small amounts especially after a hard workout. Dont like the corn or beet pulp but the dogs did fairly well on this food and it also contains a good amount of glucosomine and chondroitin.

flint river ranch: didnt like it at all and thought it wasnt worth the price. Dogs never did well on it for some reason.

timberwolf organics: dogs did well on it but i had to pay high shipping charges to get it so i stopped using it.

innova: one of the best ive used(similar results to canidae). has a good amount of calories so you can feed alot less. Dogs need time to adjust or they will have loose stools.Somewhat hard to find but well worth the search and the price.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby moto1320 » Sat May 22, 2004 9:23 pm

Good post. I was glad to hear that some one had the same results with the Innova as I did. That's what I feed and the dogs do great on it. Boy did it hit Doc hard though, he had the runs horribly for over a week when he came to us and I switched him to it. I was going to give it two weeks and put him on Canidae instead, but it cleared up.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby chewalotopus » Tue May 25, 2004 12:55 am

hey - there's an article in Whole Dog Journal this month about using different foods. It's worth the read, and brings up some great points...they say that since different foods contain so many varying amounts of trace minerals and vitamins that you should switch your dog's food between high quality brands that you trust every 2-4 months. Otherwise, if kept on the same food their whole life, they can develop severe deficiencies in some minerals and vitamins, causing all sorts of health problems. Switching to different sources of proteins can also help reduce the incidence of allergies or intolerance. They also made a large point out of saying not to mix different dry foods together - only because if he's eating two or more foods together and develops a problem, it will be all the more difficult to rule out and problem ingredients.

I personally am feeding Canidae right now, but after reading this article, I'd like to try some other brands, like Innova and Wellness (Super 5). With the Canidae, I've gotten great results, and the dogs like enough that I can use it for training and treats.

I've tried the Solid Gold Hunden Flocken or whatever it's called, and it gave my dogs horrible stinky gas. Guy at the food store said it was probably due to the company's recent change in preparation of the kibble - they're baking it longer now or something? Anyway, I didn't like it.
chewalotopus

Postby hyperbole » Tue May 25, 2004 11:16 am

Poplin has only had two kinds of food since we adopted him...

Natural Balance Vegetarian - Had the runs constantly, never cleared up, bad gas, bad dandruff, bad coat, you name it. BAD FOOD. http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/commerc ... 3633808309

Canidae All Life Stages - NO MORE GAS! That's right, Poplin rarely, if ever, has gas anymore. Very solid poopies and they are fewer and farther between. He eats less too which offsets the higher cost of Canidae. We suppliment the Canidae with eggs, cottage cheese or yogurt, and raw ground beef or raw chicken. Table scraps are a given. :))

Question - how do you pronounce Canidae?
hyperbole

Postby chewalotopus » Tue May 25, 2004 6:45 pm

Question - how do you pronounce Canidae?

Pronunciation: 'can·i·dAy'

from

Main Entry: ca·nid
Pronunciation: 'ka-n&d, 'kA-
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin Canidae, from Canis, type genus, from Latin canis
Date: circa 1889
: any of a family (Canidae) of carnivorous animals that includes the wolves, jackals, foxes, coyote, and the domestic dog

Dictionary Pronunciation Key
\&\ as a and u in abut
\[^&]\ as e in kitten
\&r\ as ur and er in further
\a\ as a in ash
\A\ as a in ace
\ä\ as o in mop
\au\ as ou in out
\ch\ as ch in chin
\e\ as e in bet
\E\ as ea in easy
\g\ as g in go
\i\ as i in hit
\I\ as i in ice
\j\ as j in job
\[ng]\ as ng in sing
\O\ as o in go
\o\ as aw in law
\oi\ as oy in boy
\th\ as th in thin
\[th_]\ as th in the
\ü\ as oo in loot
\u\ as oo in foot
\y\ as y in yet
\zh\ as si in vision

:))
chewalotopus

Postby hyperbole » Wed May 26, 2004 10:27 am

yikes, errr, thanks, I think. :))

I wasn't sure if it was can-eh-day or maybe cane-eh-die or what.

Now I know. I feel stronger.
hyperbole

Postby wndrtwns04 » Thu May 27, 2004 1:15 pm

roflmao
wndrtwns04

Postby apbtboxermom » Thu May 27, 2004 1:59 pm

Chewey-are you a word nerd by any chance??? roflmao
apbtboxermom

Postby jmann4 » Thu May 27, 2004 2:03 pm

I feed Innova and raw food when I'm cooking my dinner.
jmann4

Postby chewalotopus » Sun May 30, 2004 1:22 am

Chewey-are you a word nerd by any chance???

Well, kinda, I guess...I've always been a perfectionist - and a good speller. One of my pet peeves is misspellings and typos. Although...I'm always irritated that message boards don't have spellcheck 'cause my typing sucks - and I'm ususally excited about my response, so I don't want to sit there and read it back over again! :roll: roflmao

I was really bored that day though - work is slow :crybaby: And I really like britannica.com :thumbsup:
chewalotopus

Return to Health Issues