Shelter wont allow Pit Bull adoptions

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Shelter wont allow Pit Bull adoptions

Postby VinR1 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:06 am

I live in College Station, TX. The Brazos Valley Animal Shelter allows the adoption of every breed of dog except Pit Bulls and dogs resembling a Pit. If one is found/brought in, they keep it alive for 48 hours incase an owner arrives with proof of ownership. IF no one takes them, then they are put to sleep. Ive went as far as to speak to the manager of the shelter as well as the city councel person in charge of the shelter and both gave me the 'its not my decision' excuse... is there anything I can do??? I visit the shelter every 2-3 days and it just kills me to see these sweet, innocent dogs being put down simply because of their breed. Ive begged and pleaded and they wont let me take these dogs - Ive even offered to pay twice the adoption fee and that hasnt worked either. Ive got a friend serving his community service there and Im trying to get him to sneak out the dogs to me but I doubt thats gonna work...

Lemme know if theres anything I can do or other actions I can take...

THANKS
Vin
VinR1

Postby JaquelineC » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:10 am

Try to find a good bully breed rescue in your area... Contact them and see if they would be willing to talk to the Head Honcho at the shelter and see if (as an established and reputable rescue organization) they would be allowed to visit the shelter anually to pull the most adoptable APBTs for rescue... Easier said than done, I'm sure... But worth a shot.
JaquelineC

Postby jenworth31 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:48 am

Were you able to find someone to help you out? It is sad that animal shelters are like that.
jenworth31

Postby tuesdaysmom » Wed May 26, 2004 1:17 pm

Why don't you start a rescue? It's easy I've heard, I'm sure there are people who would tell you how to do this.
tuesdaysmom

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed May 26, 2004 2:05 pm

It might be "easy" to start a rescue but the monthly costs of having a rescue would QUICKLY put some one in debt over their head. Most shelters get paid more money the more dogs/cats they kill. Pretty sad huh....I wish you luck on this as MANY shelters are like that.
Jessa :po:
JessaNGizmo

Postby Hooligan » Wed May 26, 2004 8:35 pm

I feel ya. The shelter my bf and I volunteer at is like that as well, due to the city restictions on pitties (see my post in the laws section). We had two fosters from there, bc the ACO knew they were adoptable, he just couldn't legally do it via the shelter. After we cared for the female for a little over 3 wks she went to a pit friendly HS that will be trying to adopt her out starting Saturday. We still have the adult male (Brooklyn) though, we couldn't part with him so he is hanging out with us on a permanent basis now.
If you are close enough maybe Spindletop can help out.
Hooligan

Postby Mooddragon » Thu May 27, 2004 10:27 am

Ohio is the same way, but talk to the shelter let them get to know ya.
Before long they will be calling you to find a home for them.
That what i did. And now i have one in a kill shelter i am trying to find a home for by tomorrow

Dee :)
Mooddragon

Postby Mooddragon » Fri May 28, 2004 10:11 am

crap! :po: I did not send the post like that.

Try this again

Start working with Animal Control. Let them get to know ya. Once they trust you. They will let you find homes for them.
That what i did in Ohio. Now i have one right now i am trying to find a place for. Not having much luck. I can't stand to see these little babies be put down for no reason except for being APBT.

Dee :)
Mooddragon

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs