B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby ArdentWinter » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replys guys. Seems like i would almost definately be paying less for raw than i do now for kibble so thats definately a positive.

El, I dont have room in my apartment for another freezer but since we already have a deep freezer i can try to utilize some of that space. I definately wont be shopping at whole foods for the meat.. i dont even do it for myself lol.

I am going to set up a yahoo account and look for those raw groups. Thanks for suggesting it, ScarsMommy
ArdentWinter
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi all... I have been researching RAW for a while and am planning on switching over soon. I am currently feeding premade raw 1 meal a day. He is eating the NV venison and I plan to switch to the beef while I continue to research and get everything I need.

Khan is allergic to chicken, while I do plan to try chicken later in the game I think I am going to start with beef. Any suggestions on actual cuts of beef? Would anyone suggest I start with something else?

I have some questions and/or statements that I want to verify I am "getting" it. I realize that every dog is different and everyone feeds differently. (btw I am only 78 pages into this thread) I plan to feed the prey style (RMB, organs and meat).

Correct feeding would be 2% of 55lbs. I plan on feeding twice a day. That would be a total of 1.10 lbs. To be adjusted if he has weight lose or gain. I don't prepare a lot of meat myself at home, but 1lb doesn't seem like very much. I'm curious how everyone makes meats "small" enough...or is it really not that small of an amount?

My plan for feeding is 80% meat, 10% RMB and 10% organ. I hope to feed fish 1-2 times a week

Is is correct that when starting you should use 1 protein exclusively for a couple of weeks, then another and so on? If this is correct and say I feed beef for 2 weeks and then another "new" protein. I can still continue to feed beef, right?

Also if you are only feeding 1 protein are you supposed to feed only that protein for RMB and organs during that 2 weeks or can you mix that around?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Today is Sassy, (7lb toy poodle) 3 rd day of raw. I am feeding NV turkey and she gets almost 1/4 cup. She has been constantly puking it back up. Not bile, but the actual food. She really likes it and isn't a fast eater. Suggestions? Tonight I fed her cooked chicken and she didn't vomit at all.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:09 pm

You're giving her too much!!!!

Try an 1/8th of a cup x2 per day.

This happens a lot when dogs get too excited and eat too much. Just decrease the amount you are feeding, so it is more like a treat, less like a meal.

BTW, our 65 lb dog eats about 1 fist size meal x2 per day. If I feed him too much, he pukes it up. ESPECIALLY if it is super yummy food.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby julie64 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:47 am

Thanks LMW, will try reducing today and see if that helps.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Anyone have any input on my questions? I was hoping to go shopping for stuff tomorrow.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Someone posted this on a yahoo group and I thought some of the newbies like me,might find it useful.

http://public.sheet.zoho.com/public/moo ... Ozjg%3D%3D
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:21 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Khan is allergic to chicken, while I do plan to try chicken later in the game I think I am going to start with beef. Any suggestions on actual cuts of beef? Would anyone suggest I start with something else?

i'd start with pork. some pork bones are soft enough to be edible, but i haven't found any beef bones to be edible.

FBODGRL wrote:Correct feeding would be 2% of 55lbs. I plan on feeding twice a day. That would be a total of 1.10 lbs. To be adjusted if he has weight lose or gain. I don't prepare a lot of meat myself at home, but 1lb doesn't seem like very much. I'm curious how everyone makes meats "small" enough...or is it really not that small of an amount?

my dog gets about 1lb a day, but it's up and down. granted, i can feed chicken leg quarters which are a little less than 1lb, but most of the time i feed 'big' meals and 'small' meals. so one day maggie might get a 2lb chunk of ribs or what have you, and then the next day she'll get a lighter meal of some meat trim/stewing beef or something. it all evens out.

FBODGRL wrote:Is is correct that when starting you should use 1 protein exclusively for a couple of weeks, then another and so on? If this is correct and say I feed beef for 2 weeks and then another "new" protein. I can still continue to feed beef, right?

yes on both accounts :)

FBODGRL wrote:Also if you are only feeding 1 protein are you supposed to feed only that protein for RMB and organs during that 2 weeks or can you mix that around?

when you start with one protein, you usually skip the organ meat until things even out. too much too soon can cause tap-ass. if you're concerned about allergies tho, i'd stick with one protein at a time.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ammadien » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:53 pm

I've used this thread along with other reading to come upon what works for our bulldogs. So I figure it would be good to share our experiences.

Zuki was started about a year and four months ago on raw. We got her at 8 weeks and she had the "rhea" basically her whole life up until about 9 months old. We tried kibble after kibble, and couldn't find anything that helped, more protein, less, no grains, staying on one decent kibble for 4+months, but it never made a positive difference and just kept getting worse.

So I finally had enough and gave her tract a day to rest, then started on "home cooked" the next day. Scrambled eggs and pumpkin for a couple days. Evened her out, then we made a vegetable mush, cooked chicken, eggs, and supplements for a bit. We found this time consuming but it worked fantastic. She loved it and for the first time in her life she had good poop for an entire day. We decided to switch to raw to make it less complicated as far as supplements go. So now she has whole chicken/rabbit, organs included(gutted and skinned/feathered) and her coat is fantastic, she keeps easily trim and has much better water intake, great teeth, no dog smell or dog farts. She's about 45 lbs for the winter and more like 42 for the summer when she is in better shape.

Pic in action this summer:

Then on to the boy -

We got him about 8 months ago. He was on a crappy kibble, so we slowly switched him over to a good kibble. No grain, lots of protein. He did ok on it. He was overweight when we got him, so we were able to slim him down and had enough exercise to give him some more muscle. Once he was switched over completely he still had a very greasy coat, and a pretty doggy smell, his poop was ok, very large and numerous. He got the big "D" prolly once a week on the good kibble.

We finally decided to switch him too. Between eggs and pumpkin to help him settle his stomach on the switch and the chicken he is doing great. Within 2 days his coat was much better, not greasy and softer. He did have some diarrhea on the switch, but the egg and pumpkin has been doing it's job. Had to teach him to chew, which really just took hard freezing the food and hand feeding him while making him slow down between bites(sitting/working for his food). Kibble fed his whole life(about 4 years old when we got him) and took about 2 days to teach him to chew. I don't think I have any good pictures of him now, need to get some but here is before the switch in the summer leaned out a bit:

Costs are fantastic. We get cases of leg quarters for filler between the whole more prey model for .40-.50 cents per pound. Then we get whole chicken(minus feathers, stomach and intestines) for .85 cents a pound and rabbit in the same condition for 2.00 a pound. This is from a local(<50 miles) farm. Bought a nice chest freezer to reduce trips. They both eat about a pound a day, give or take depending on the season/activity level. Kibble for the boy was 60 bucks a bag and he ate about 2.5-3 cups a day. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. We do "large screen" blood tests yearly to check some of the levels.

Nate
ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby willyg44 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:53 pm

So we found out Leo was allergic to chicken, and chicken was the only source for organ meats we had, and we mainly fed him chicken most of the time but also beef/turkey/pork. This was a bummer, because going back on raw, I had no source for organ meat.

But tonight at my local Publix supermarket, they had beef kidney, hearts, and livers! I hadn't seen them before, I don't know if they just started carrying them or what, but I got really excited!! :D So now for organ meat he can get all the good stuff, and we'll be feeding Turkey/Pork/some Beef for meats. Just thought I'd post because when we went back to kibble for a couple weeks when he was allergic to chicken, his breath started to stink again, and his coat wasn't as nice, I'm just so happy everything worked out and I can start raw again.

Oh and 1 question. Since he is allergic to chicken, does that mean he will be allergic to eggs too? Is that a dumb question? :oops:
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:13 pm

willyg44 wrote:Oh and 1 question. Since he is allergic to chicken, does that mean he will be allergic to eggs too? Is that a dumb question? :oops:

Not necessarily.

AND, he may not be allergic to grass/seed fed chickens vs corn fed.

Also, check out Greentripe.com products!!! If you can get a group of raw feeders together and order in volume, this can be a great source of beef organs + tripe, which has made my life much, much more simple :)

{Never again will I deal with a 16lb calf liver...oh Lordy, you should have seen the kitchen! It looked like a crime scene.}
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby willyg44 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:
willyg44 wrote:Oh and 1 question. Since he is allergic to chicken, does that mean he will be allergic to eggs too? Is that a dumb question? :oops:

Not necessarily.

AND, he may not be allergic to grass/seed fed chickens vs corn fed.

Also, check out Greentripe.com products!!! If you can get a group of raw feeders together and order in volume, this can be a great source of beef organs + tripe, which has made my life much, much more simple :)

{Never again will I deal with a 16lb calf liver...oh Lordy, you should have seen the kitchen! It looked like a crime scene.}

Thanks for the reply, and the link. I'd love to try that stuff, I don't know any other raw feeders in the area though :( Maybe one day. And 16 pound calf liver?! Wowww, that's craziness.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby kaytenmags » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:57 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:{Never again will I deal with a 16lb calf liver...oh Lordy, you should have seen the kitchen! It looked like a crime scene.}

oh man, i can totally relate to that. i was dealing with a massive moose liver a week ago!
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby willyg44 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 pm

So I was tempted to get this beef tripe that the local market had by me, but is there a difference between beef tripe and "green" beef tripe? It's in the meat department, packaged by the market so I assume they get it fresh, but it doesn't say green tripe on the label, just beef tripe. It looks more of a dull white with a slight green tint maybe? I don't want to get it if it isn't the good stuff! Is it supposed to be real green or something? Or does this sound good.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:51 pm

The cleaned beef tripe is for human consumption and is mostly water and fiber, so I wouldn't recommend the CLEANED version for your dogs. The GREEN tripe contains partially digested grass/veggies + enzymes + dirt (very important metals) + 70% water + EFAs and random other good stuff. (http://www.greentripe.com/ If it doesn't stink like cow poo, it's not green tripe 8)
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues