Idk wht to do!!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Idk wht to do!!

Postby mrs.clark » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Ok so in introduction i stated tht i'd be movin soon and would have to find a place for my baby to go if my cousin couldnt take him. Well my cousin cant take him and i have a month to find somewhere for him to be. I dnt wanna just drop him off at the ASPCA because i dnt want them to put him down if he doesnt get adopted. I've been lkin into some no kill shelters in my area(Philadelphia, pa) bt all the shelters seem to end up putting them down if noone wants them. And i've even been askin some ppl i knw and trust if they knw of anyone who would want him, but im nt getting anywhere. Idk wht i should do. Any suggestions!? :huh?:
mrs.clark
Newborn Bully

Re: Idk wht to do!!

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Needy pit bulls are a dime a dozen, it's going to be hard to find your dog a place to go. Can't you work things out to keep him? Dogs are supposed to be a lifetime comittment
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby mrs.clark » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 pm

If i could work things out n keep him i wouldnt be stressin lk this. We're movin to an army base where no aggressive breed is allowed.
mrs.clark
Newborn Bully

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:28 am

Is it possible for you to find housing off base? The economy (foreclosures etc>) along with rampant over breeding have made it quite hard to find even temporary housing for this breed. One month is very little time to find a Pit Bull a new home, I've had fosters for over a year myself. Shelters generally will put them down if no one wants them, they can't afford to feed and house every dog that becomes inconvenient to own, and living in shelters for months/years is really crappy for the dogs themselves.
Generally, rescues won't take owner surrenders (I can see why, I am not a rescue and I get between 5-10 e-mails weekly asking to take peoples dogs, I imagine an actual rescue would be flooded, each dog with as compelling an 'emergency' as the next)
The very BEST thing you can do is find a way to keep your baby yourself, no one loves him as you do, no one is invested in him as you are. Good luck
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby mrs.clark » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:50 am

yeah we're lkin for an apartment off base, if we find somethin tht allows us to keep him then thts great. Cause ur absolutely right, noone will love or take care of him lk I do. Thanx for the good luck, imma nd it.
mrs.clark
Newborn Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:52 pm

Just saying hi and good luck as a fellow Philadelphian. I have a foster pit bull that I have been looking for a home for over the last 3 months. It's hard because there are so many pit bulls in this city and it seems like everyone who wants one, has one.

I am really glad you are looking into a way to keep your baby. Unfortunately about 50% of the dogs that go to the Philadelphia shelter get euthanized (and probably a higher percentage for pit bulls). So I really hope you can find an alternative. If nothing else, maybe you can board him at a kennel or vet's office until you figure it out... that would at least buy you some more time.

I don't know how long you will have to live on base, but you could also look into this organization that fosters soldiers' pets. They are definitely not the only one so if they can't help you, try searching around and perhaps someone else can.
http://guardianangelsforsoldierspet.org/

And as an aside, it really sucks that the army does this. They ask so much of our soldiers and asking them to give up their pets seems extra unfair.

Good luck and thank you for your service.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby mrs.clark » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 am

Thanx for the web link i'll lk into tht right away. :)
P.s this whole nt accepting aggressive breeds on base i think is bs too
mrs.clark
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 am

Sometimes rescues in your area might have a list of housing options that allow dogs/pit bulls. You might check all the rescues you can and see if they have a list of pit bull friendly housing.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby mrs.clark » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:24 pm

We found out where we're getting staioned and we're lking for apartments off base. wish us luck on finding one tht allows pitts!! Oh yeah and thanx for tht link, but they only foster ur dogs if you get deployed and you dnt have fam to take care of them.Thanx again though :) it gave me hope
mrs.clark
Newborn Bully

Postby mrs.clark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Ok so no luck on finding any apartments off post tht allows pitts, bt my mom old classmate saw a pic of my baby tht she posted on fb and wants to have a meet and greet with us and his kids to feel him out. Wish me luck!!!! My mom thinks he's a gd person but i'll decide if he's good enough for my Ruger :)
mrs.clark
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:04 am

mrs.clark wrote:Ok so no luck on finding any apartments off post tht allows pitts, bt my mom old classmate saw a pic of my baby tht she posted on fb and wants to have a meet and greet with us and his kids to feel him out. Wish me luck!!!! My mom thinks he's a gd person but i'll decide if he's good enough for my Ruger :)

I really hope this works out for Ruger.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby mrs.clark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Ruger and I met my moms friend today. he seems really nice and ruger seems to lk him too. He's gonna bring his kids past the house 2mar afternoon to meet us.If it all works out 2mar and everybody loves him which i knw they will, my ruger will have a new fam tht will tke care of him. Be4 he takes him though i also want him to bring his pitt past too for a meet and greet. his pitt ia 11months, im sure it wont be a problem bt just to make sure they'll have to meet first
mrs.clark
Newborn Bully

Postby Poohs Dad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 am

I really hope this works out well for you. But you might want to keep in contact with this family after the adoption. There is a possibility that in a yr or so their other Pit might not be so agreeable. By then your circumstances may have changed and you could take him back if neccessary. Just sayin
Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby TrainTrax » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Poohs Dad wrote:I really hope this works out well for you. But you might want to keep in contact with this family after the adoption. There is a possibility that in a yr or so their other Pit might not be so agreeable. By then your circumstances may have changed and you could take him back if neccessary. Just sayin

I completely agree. One of the biggest mistakes people make with this breed is assuming that everything will be fine with the two of them. All it takes is one look from the other dog to change that.

Also, did this family work out? Were you able to find a place? I will never, ever, understand why people wait until the very last minute to find placement. I had a woman call me a few weeks ago about her male pit bull that she loved ever so much and was asking if I could find a foster for him. Apparently she had known for mooooooooonths that she was having to move but decided to start calling shelters and rescues literally THREE days before moving. She said her vet advised to have the dog pts because finding placement was going to be damned near impossible in three days. I told her that I agreed, and that a dog being pts with the owner there is a whole lot better than a dog degrading in a kennel before being pts along with dozens of others. She wasnt happy wth me and called me every name under the sun but hey, the truth hurts.

You can't possibly love something that much if you only give it 72 hours to live when you've known for months that you're moving. I moved back in March and I had literally a week to find a place to live or I was moving back in with my mom. Needless to say, I found a place to live in that week. It took hours online, hours on the phone and a whole lot of stress but it's possible.

And I'm done ranting!
TrainTrax
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs