Diamond dog food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Diamond dog food

Postby Hooligan » Thu May 27, 2004 1:42 am

Can anyone give me some info on it? I know that company makes Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul and thats about it, as far as my knowledge goes. I saw that PetCo sells it and I know they usually only carry "decent" quality foods, and well...my local feed store carries it as well. If it is something that is good for them that I can get from less than 1/2 a block away I may switch.
Hooligan

Postby rosiegirl » Thu May 27, 2004 8:58 am

Diamond also makes their own "diamond" brand. I don't know much about it. I have used the chicken soup food, seems like a decent food and my dog does well on it. I'm no expert, but the ingredients don't list any corn or soy. I feed my girl a variety, usually wellness chicken or fish, chicken soup, or solid gold.
rosiegirl

Postby mnp13 » Thu May 27, 2004 9:14 am

Ruby's breeder feeds Diamond and his dogs look pretty good. He also suppliments with raw though. She was on Diamond for a few weeks after we got her, but I can't say how well she did on it because she was pretty sick when we bought her.

Sorry... I guess that didn't help at all, did it?

Michelle
mnp13

Postby concreterose » Thu May 27, 2004 11:29 am

Some people like Diamond, some people hate it. A lot of people with lots of dogs use it because it's cheaper. The company does list grain as the first nutrition source, and use meat by-products. The protein sources are NOT human grade.

I feed Chicken Soup (also by Diamond) to my cats, and they do very well on it.

I've seem some dogs that do REALLY well on it. I buy it for a rescue dog that I found and help support and his guardian really likes how he does on it.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Thu May 27, 2004 11:42 am

It's a pretty low quality food. They use a lot of grain and by-products. I wouldn't recommend it, I know some Petco's sell Wellness, it would be a better choice. Even Chicken Soup, not great but definitely better, it's considerably cheaper than Wellness soooo. Supplementing with raw is a good idea, you don't have to go over board, giving a meal of raw meat a few times a week can make all the difference. JMO.

pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby wndrtwns04 » Thu May 27, 2004 1:09 pm

My dog has done very well on the Chicken Soup and from my understanding other than raw foods you buy at the store, no dog food contains human grade meats despite claims made by certain companies. When I read the ingredients in both Wellness and Chicken Soup it seemed to be almost identical, if not identical, for WAY less. JMO :tongue:
wndrtwns04

Postby barbponys » Thu May 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Just like organic. There's no such think as an organic pet food. ALL pet foods use meal, you can start out with organic chicken, turkey or lamb but as soon as the enzymes hit it to turn it into meal it is no longer organic. "Fresh" meat, hog wash. I want to see them use "fresh, raw" meat in a DRY dog food, no way. Don't you love semantics??

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues