B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby starrlamia » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:35 am

gah grendel threw up tonight, not sure why. Thankfully he is pooping fine so I am not too worried, hopefully it's a one off and he just didnt feel to good today, or the pork bone i gave him didnt agree.

The hocks I got are huge! Im talkin close to 2lbs, so I ended up cutting them into pieces, I took all of the meat off and kept the bones to give as treats. Ive been pairing the hock meat up with tail pieces, they have quite a bit of fat on them but the tails actually have some meat too.
I havent started on the tongues yet lol, I ran out of ziplock bags.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cindersmommy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but I did a search and couldn't find it. I don't have my own computer so my computer time is limited. I have read where Pacific Salmon and Jack Mackrel are not good for your dog raw but is canned salmon and mackrel OK ? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
Cindersmommy
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:59 pm

the kids have been on raw for a few weeks and are doing great with organ meat! They've been getting turkey but we will start adding in pork soon.

The best part is we thought grendel had demodex again and he has been on ivermectin again for a while but just in the last week or so his hair has started growing back in and Im starting to think it may have been food allergy issues (the skin scrape was negative but since he had demodex before they figured they would play it safe and put him back on).
He looks great and his skin/hair overall is less dry and itchy
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:23 pm

roflmao
I found out grendel doesnt like raw kidney
he thinks they are slimey and gross.
I gave him some in various sizes to see if he would eat it and he spit it out and made a face everytime lol
it was pretty adorable.
I froze the rest so hopefully he will eat it that way.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby willyg44 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 pm

This may not work for others, but thought I'd share. Leo didn't want much to do with kidneys when I tried to introduce them. Maybe the texture. I got some kelp powder which he loves, all over the kidney (just a couple small pieces of kidney) and he gobbled them up. I usually give kelp powder still, but he doesn't seem to mind the kidneys now when I don't put any powder on them. Also sometimes I'll put a tiny bit of garlic powder on top of it, that's always a hit.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:26 am

willyg44 wrote:This may not work for others, but thought I'd share. Leo didn't want much to do with kidneys when I tried to introduce them. Maybe the texture. I got some kelp powder which he loves, all over the kidney (just a couple small pieces of kidney) and he gobbled them up. I usually give kelp powder still, but he doesn't seem to mind the kidneys now when I don't put any powder on them. Also sometimes I'll put a tiny bit of garlic powder on top of it, that's always a hit.

good ideas! i just froze mine and he gobbled them right up
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby willyg44 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:20 pm

I have a question about raw marrow bones. We have been giving them to Leo often, and he has been licking all the marrow out, and then chewing on the bone nicely until he gets bored. However, the last few bones I gave him, he's been "shaving" little pieces off the bone with his teeth and has been going at them a bit more it seems.

Now, I read that it can be harmful if they actually CHIP pieces off the bone, but what about those tiny pieces he grinds off and gets? They are pretty small, I can't imagine they would do any damage, but I want to be sure. The pieces don't get bigger than the size of a pea, if that. Is that ok? Or is there a way to discourage the behavior if it isn't ok?

This batch was also a little oddly shaped, not perfectly round, so maybe it leads him to think he should chew the edges off I dunno heh.

Thanks again people :)
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby bea4mr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:35 pm

So when you say you get liver, chicken necks, all that good stuff, do you cook it before giving it the dog? Or just have straight up raw chicken nd that stuff given to them? Nd you let the dogs eat the chicken bones? I'm new to all this btwww.
bea4mr
Newborn Bully

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 pm

bea4mr wrote:So when you say you get liver, chicken necks, all that good stuff, do you cook it before giving it the dog? Or just have straight up raw chicken nd that stuff given to them? Nd you let the dogs eat the chicken bones? I'm new to all this btwww.

it's a raw diet, so yes the chicken is raw, and yes they eat all the raw chicken bones.
if you're interested in feeding a raw diet, I would suggest reading this thread from page 1 :)
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bea4mr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:33 pm

I was reading nd I just thought the dog would get sick eating it like that. Nd the dog never chokes on the chicken bones?? Nd I feed my dog primal frozen foods? idk if there's a thread on it or what you guys think of it but my dog loves it. Its raw food just frozen tho. My aunt got me into it nd she said if you add brown rice nd yogurt to it, its better for them. Is this trueee?
bea4mr
Newborn Bully

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

bea4mr wrote:I was reading nd I just thought the dog would get sick eating it like that. Nd the dog never chokes on the chicken bones??

No, my dog is always supervised while she's eating and she has never choked while eating bone-in chicken. She used to choke on kibble, and she will choke on anything she can swallow in one gulp without chewing.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Kahlie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:37 pm

I have a question to the raw gurus...

This has been bugging me for some time... I was recently argued against the general prey-model diet, by someone who dispenses raw diet advice for a living...
It was suggested that dogs require far greater bone-to-meat ratio than cats. Being that dogs are not carnivores, but omnivores. That, additionally, it was to maintain the right phosphorus/calcium ratio.

Has anyone ever heard of that line of logic? More bone than meat? How's that nutritious?
Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Kahlie wrote:More bone than meat? How's that nutritious?

IMO, it's not.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Kahlie wrote:Has anyone ever heard of that line of logic? More bone than meat? How's that nutritious?

NEVER heard of it. I'm guessing this was a misunderstanding of a specific condition and a solution ??? Or this person is talking volume vs weight, where the ratio might differ from traditional 80/10/10 Meat/Bone/Organ.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Kahlie wrote:Has anyone ever heard of that line of logic? More bone than meat? How's that nutritious?

Could you possibly have misunderstood? Honest question. I'm on a raw group that discusses cats and dogs. I remember reading that cats don't need as MUCH bone as dogs. So maybe they were trying to say that dogs need more bone -- not more bone than meat, just more bone than a cat would require?
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues