New here

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New here

Postby Abbey » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:10 am

I'm new here and hope that I will be accepted as I read and learn about the Pit Bull breed!

I never thought of myself as a dog person. I always wanted a dog, but never understood the "love" a human has for their dog. Until I got one. A few months ago we bought a Miniature Pinscher whom I adore. I never before believed in love at first sight, either!! So, as we've grown accustomed to having her in our family, I started thinking that maybe we should have one more dog...a bigger dog. As a new dog owner I began searching the web for any and all dog info and quickly realized that we didn't have to "buy" a dog, that there were plenty of dogs available for adoptin and we could "save" a dog instead. So, I started looking at our local Humane Society site and it seems like 90% of the dogs are Pit Bulls (or Pit Bull mixes). Well, there's no way I want one of those "mean ol' dogs", I want to feel safe in my home, not scared of attack (my experience with Pit Bulls comes from my teen and young adult years when the less than desirable population of my small and mostly ignorant hometown "fought" Pit Bulls as well as the negative perception in the media). But, it seems like everywhere I turn lately I'm hearing "good" Pit Bull stories and I'm wondering if maybe "Someone" is trying to tell me something? So, I'm here to learn, I hope y'all don't mind my being a fly on the wall!!

I also have a question in my heart about the Humane Society. I've thought I might like to work there (volunteer or a paid position??)...but, I don't want to be associated with an organization that euthanizes animals...but, I want to HELP. Anyone have any advice?
Abbey

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:29 pm

Welcome

here are some websites to check out

www.realpitbull.com

www.workingpitbull.com

Euthanizing animals, sadly, is part of rescue. Not ALL dogs and cats are adoptable and most shelters get so many that they have to euthanize others to make room for me :crybaby:
AllAmericanPUP

Re: New here

Postby Noriko525 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:16 pm

Abbey wrote:But, it seems like everywhere I turn lately I'm hearing "good" Pit Bull stories and I'm wondering if maybe "Someone" is trying to tell me something?

WOW!!! That is soooo refreshing and wonderful to hear!!! I am happy to know that people are finally begining to hear about the other, TRUE side to these dogs!!!

Stick around, there is SOOOO much great information on this board and so many knoweledgable people. I think it's great that you want to rescue :thumbsup:

:welcome:
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby heather » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:17 pm

it is good to hear that someone is hearing good pitbull stories!!!

Welcome to the board and btw, that is exactly how i started getting into these dogs. i wanted to help a dog and realized that pitbulls needed it the most, esp. if you are a person who is confident standing up for what you know and believe you can be of great help.

i like these:
www.badrap.com
www.pbrc.net
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby oko pol » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:34 pm

WELCOME !!!
oko pol

Postby pocketpit » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:25 pm

pocketpit

Postby mypitmika » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:34 pm

:hi Welcome! You've definitely come to the right place. Stick around, do searches, read and converse - you're sure to learn a ton. The forum as a whole is extremely knowledgable, full of great advice and pointers. I've learned so much since I joined. I'm so happy to hear you've decided to adopt instead of buy! Welcome to the board!
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Abbey » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome!! Yes, I am hearing good pit bull stories, but I have to wonder if it's mainly because my heart is open to hearing them. Before, I had made my judgment regarding Pit Bulls and I wouldn't even consider hearing anything that contradicted what I thought was accurate. Someone would tell me they own a "good" pit bull and I would think, "Yeah, it's only a matter of time" or "I can't believe you would have that dog around your children", but now I know differently because I was open to hearing a different side.

I'm anxious to learn more about becoming a pit bull family!!

Can anyone tell me if there's a personality difference in gender where pit bulls are concerned and whether or not they are easy to housebreak?
Abbey

Postby Timmay » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:44 pm

welcome :peace:
Timmay

Postby Kaytlin » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:24 pm

:welcome: :hi
Kaytlin

Postby moochesmama » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:04 pm

Welcome! :)) You'll hear a lot of stories here... :))
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby tjbsandy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:37 am

tjbsandy

Postby ShadowWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:22 am

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby moongirl » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:25 am

I used to think that pitbulls were mean, and viscious too. It seemed that all anyone heard about them was how horrible they were. Then I saw Diego... it was love at first site! I was still a little afraid though, so I went and did some research on the breed and was supprised at how all the great things I found about them.

Getting Diego was the best decision I've made and I am so grateful to have him in my life!!!

Take the time to research the breed, visit some shelters/ resucues and spend some time with the dogs. I'm sure you'll find a great pibble who is just waiting to love you and attack you with their famous "pittie kisses".

Good luck!!!
moongirl

Return to Introductions