Possibly ISO Adult/Senior APBT -- VA

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Possibly ISO Adult/Senior APBT -- VA

Postby mommy2kane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm

My mom just lost her cat a few months ago, and is starting to think about possibly adopting a dog. She's definitely not in any rush right now, we're just starting to talk about it. In the past, we'd toyed with the idea of her adopting an older adult or senior dog -- male/female, doesn't matter -- but healthy. My mom is in her 50's, my grandma (who lives with her) is in her 80's. They both WALK. They love to walk, walk, walk! So an older, but calmer dog, who can still walk longer distances is preferred.

While my mom does have some experience with a highly DA dog, having been Kane's "dogwalker" back in the day when I was single and had to work long hours (poor lady), she'd definitely prefer a dog who is tolerant of others. Only to avoid problems on walks -- I highly doubt my mom would ever have/want a multiple dog household. She just comes over to our house and visits/spoils all her "granddogs" when she needs a fix! lol

Basically, I've browsed some of the rescue section, and it seems most dogs in our area advertised are always puppies. I kinda just wanted to put this out there in the event a rescue had an older dog they were looking to place. My mom may just be looking for her perfect fit soon!
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Re: Possibly ISO Adult/Senior APBT -- VA

Postby GuardianAMBULL » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Darn it! Jelly Belly/Ellie would have been awesome.... but we found a pretty amazing family for her. I will keep on the lookout!
GuardianAMBULL
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Otis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:32 pm

There are two seniors at the shelter down here (I'm just a little ways over the bay bridge on the eastern shore) who have been there for awhile. I have not met these dogs personally, but if they look interesting to you I'd be glad to stop by and check them out for you! Transport help always available too, I make frequent trips to Baltimore.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15211774
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16701957
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:56 pm

If she's willing to medicate Maggie's ears once a week she's a wonderful candidate. She is really really sweet, great with all people, good with other dogs. Doesn't care for cats but isn't out for blood. She just gives them dirty looks and growls if they come up to her crate. She's having surgery this week to remove some lumps and bumps but she's otherwise healthy. She's about 5 or 6. I thought there was something up with her hips but the vet said she was just "pregnancy loose" and should tighten back up, her rib cage was really spread but that's already gone down. She was a late spay so.... no negative comments please, it was for the best.

She's Steele's mother (at least I think), Steele from the "Fathead anyone" thread. They were found running loose together.

She's being fostered in Richmond VA in a home with 4 other dogs and two cats.

Her petfinder info
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18141747
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby mommy2kane » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 am

Wow, I didn't expect results so fast! Thanks, everyone -- we will definitely keep everyone updated on my mom's progress with possible adoption. She's one of those people who wants/needs to make sure everything is in order before bringing a dog home. I commend her for it.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs