How much beer?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby hyperbole » Thu May 27, 2004 4:22 pm

jmann4 wrote:Doctors also say a beer a day helps flush out your kidneys. Or is it the liver? :)

Never heard of THAT before... Though I have heard the old glass of wine "toast to your health" tale... Them germans have less heart attacks than us, or something like that. lol
hyperbole

Postby texaspittie » Thu May 27, 2004 4:25 pm

Yes BUT people & dogs do not have the same needs and do not process foods & substances the same way. Dogs cannot eat chocolate, grapes, raisins but these things do not harm humans. SO why would you give something that has the potential to harm humans to a dog? Knock yourself out, give alcohol to your dogs but just remember when his kidneys fail, when his liver fails, whose fault it is. Messed up stuff but hey, not my dogs.
texaspittie

Postby Boscoe13 » Thu May 27, 2004 4:26 pm

i always wondered if people gave their dogs beer, I never have just 'cause i dont know if it will do anything to him... :huh?:

But I have notice that when i drink beer hes always near by.... waiting for me to put it down, when i do he sniffs and licks the top of the bottle .......

If i did i prob would'nt give him enough to get him drunk, but than again' why waste the beer
Boscoe13

Postby jmann4 » Thu May 27, 2004 4:36 pm

texaspittie wrote:Yes BUT people & dogs do not have the same needs and do not process foods & substances the same way. Dogs cannot eat chocolate, grapes, raisins but these things do not harm humans. SO why would you give something that has the potential to harm humans to a dog? Knock yourself out, give alcohol to your dogs but just remember when his kidneys fail, when his liver fails, whose fault it is. Messed up stuff but hey, not my dogs.

No offense, but a drink of beer here and there probably won't cause anything to fail. Maybe if they're allergic to it or something.

My dogs eat or have eaten chocolate, grapes, rasins, onions, and they are still walking around happy and healthy.

Again, to much is harmful.

Keep in mind I'm saying NOW AND THEN and not everyday.
jmann4

Postby texaspittie » Thu May 27, 2004 4:44 pm

Like I said, not my dogs. Why take the chance that it WILL harm them? I care more for my dogs than to take chances with their health. Don't beleive me that it is potentially harmful to them? Ask your vet. Or read this:

Toxicity - Alcohol Poisoning
Written by Dr. Peggy Root
Reviewed by Dr. Mike Murphy

Ethanol may be available to pets in alcoholic beverages, rising bread dough, gasoline treatments, windshield washer fluid, or in rubbing alcohol. Dogs may be attracted to the taste of alcoholic beverages. It never is appropriate to provide alcoholic beverages to dogs or cats.

Alcohol is absorbed quickly from the stomach after ingestion. Within 20 to 30 minutes, virtually all alcohol is absorbed from the stomach, precluding treatment my induction of vomiting after this time.

Clinical signs of alcohol intoxication appear within 30 to 60 minutes of exposure and include vomiting, diarrhea, disorientation, ataxia (wobbly gait), depression, tremors and difficulty breathing. Severely affected animals will develop seizures, arrythmias of the heart, and lowering of the body temperature, and eventually may fall into a coma and die.

Treatment involves removal of alcohol from the stomach by induction of vomiting and administration of activated charcoal, if the animal is presented to the veterinarian shortly after ingestion of the alcohol. Supportive care provided by the veterinarian includes administration of intravenous fluids and maintenance of body temperature. Most animals recover within 4 to 24 hours after ingestion of alcohol.

Potential poisoning is an emergency, until proven otherwise. Please call your veterinarian. Do not leave e-mail messages on this site about possible poisonings, as messages are not answered swiftly enough to ensure your pet's safe recovery

http://www.petcare.umn.edu/FAQ/Toxicology/Alcohol.htm
texaspittie

Postby whiskeyman » Thu May 27, 2004 5:27 pm

My dixie despises beer. I think it is due to the carbonation. Whiskey on the other hand she loves. Well loves is a little too strong of a word I guess. When I'm drinkin shots she will always walk up to me and nudge my had when she wants a snort. I'll hold the shot glass for her so she can lap it out. It is some funny stuff!! After every lick she will make a "whiskey face", shake her head, and make a snorting noise. Cracks me up!! She will come right back for another round within 10 seconds or so.
I don't give her enough to get tipsy though. I don't think I want a drunken pit on my hands. I know bourbon makes me a little red and I don't want to take that chance with my pooch. I drink Wild Turkey adn they don't call that "the kicken chicken for nothing".

I did witness the intoxication of a Boxer when I was younger though.
I was at a party and the host had a male Boxer that weighed maybe 75 lbs. I saw him pour the dog a bowl of beer so I approched him and asked about the dog's drinking habits :D He said the dog was a social drinker and only drank in party situations and such. A few of the other guests saw the dog drinking and kept the dog's bowl full all night. A few of us were drinking some purple Jesus and the boxer had a few of those as well.
After a while I noticed the dog was lieing down as it was drinking. I went over and tried to get the pooch to play with me. He was able to get up on his front two legs but when he tried to raise his rear it just fell over. He was smashed. I had to carry him to his dog house and put him inside. I felt very sorry for him and now I will never allow my dog or anyone elses dog to get in that sad of shape. I can only imagine what was going through his little mind at the time.
The hangover must have been horrible as well. The poor pup prob thought he was going to die.

I was so sorry!!!

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby moto1320 » Thu May 27, 2004 7:24 pm

A few years back I lived with a guy who had a Shar-pei who loved beer above all else. My roomie would give him a little in his bowl and he would push it around the room for 30 mins trying to get beer residue.

A couple of times we would have parties and Miko would walk around knocking over every unattended beer to lap it up. He got ass hammered, and got all cocky, belligerent, and started roughing people up for their late night muchies. He jacked this guy for his sandwich, staggered off paw crossing paw, and passed out on his bed snoring loud as hell. :roll: Crunkard.... lol
moto1320
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Thu May 27, 2004 9:35 pm

My dogs eat or have eaten chocolate, grapes, rasins, onions, and they are still walking around happy and healthy.

Ditto.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Fri May 28, 2004 7:51 am

Cleo liked beer, but if I gave her any that wasn't flat she would bark at it. I don't think she liked the carbonation.

Ruby is a little alcoholic. I admit I give her wine as a 'party trick' (she drinks directly out of my glass) but besides that she has to steal it to get some. She has knocked over beer bottles and more than once she has helped herself to an unattended wine glass or martini glass.

I doubt a full bowl of any alcohol is good for dogs, but a little once in a while probably won't do any lasting damage.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby ajarvis » Fri May 28, 2004 11:14 am

I agree with the majority a little bit of beer shouldn't hurt. Even my little kitten likes beer :) she'll lick it off the bottle or off your finger, and she is teeny tiny!
Last edited by ajarvis on Fri May 28, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajarvis

Postby jamobi » Fri May 28, 2004 11:37 am

The logic behind my beer giving ways is this. Unless something really tragic happens, I'm probably going to outlive my dogs and since they love beer then why not let them indulge in a few laps of the stuff once in a while? It could be dangerous to give them tons of the stuff but that's not what I do. I mean, is everything we put into our bodies %100 good? I care a lot about my dogs and I also care about their quality of life. Their lives are relatively short compared to ours and if a few sips of the suds once in a while makes them feel better then that's what it'll be. Thanks for the replies guys and gals.
jamobi

Postby Kara » Sat May 29, 2004 1:27 pm

Wow, this is a strange subject thats for sure....

Taurus doesn't even like to smell beer. If you put a glass of it down near his nose, he won't come within a cople inches of the cup. He smells it from a far, and then backs right up.

Jada on the other hand, loves it. I do not give it to her, but Matt left his beer sitting on the table one night, and she was smelling it .... then the next thing I know she's lapping it right up! I couldn't beleive it.
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Kara » Sat May 29, 2004 1:29 pm

Secrets Your Dog Wants You to Know
TEN IMPORTANT TIPS

by Paulette Cooper & Paul Noble
IS ALCOHOL OR MARIJUANA BAD FOR YOUR DOG?

A dog won't be harmed by alcohol in moderation, like a half a bottle of beer for an average-sized dog. But beer is fattening, so if your dog is overweight, keep him on the wagon.
That will probably be easy, because dogs generally don't like the taste of alcohol, unless they were fed it as puppies. So yours is unlikely to raid your liquor cabinet and take a snort of his own.
But what about a marijuana brownie? Actually, the chocolate in the brownie might hurt him more than the marijuana. Although in larger quantities marijuana may cause depression, vomiting, and respiratory problems, in small quantities, "Marijuana is not bad for dogs in the sense that it will harm them," says Dr. Steven Radbill, co-author of "The Complete Book of Questions Dog Owners Ask Their Vet and the Answers," and owner of the Radbill Animal Hospital in Philadelphia. "But, like people, marijuana would probably make some dogs lose some of their judgment.
"Dogs can act very bizarre under it," he continued. "People call me in the middle of the night and don't say what happened, but I know what is going on, because they say their dog has fallen out of the bed, is acting really weird, vocalizing, and his eyes are dilated."
Still, he says marijuana isn't a good idea for dogs psychologically because, "the dog doesn't realize what's happening to him. Cats wouldn't have as strong a reaction because they're used to their catnip."

http://...
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby barbponys » Sat May 29, 2004 3:25 pm

One of my boxers was a big time alcholo stealer. We had a party once and people would set their drinks on the floor, Ledo would go over and lap them up while they weren't looking. I finally had to tell everyone that the next person to give him alcohol would be asked to leave. They thought it was cute to watch him drink it. I didn't have a problem with him have a little but when they started making him drinks? Uncool. Sasha and Goliath won't touch any kind of booze, they look at you like your crazy and turn away.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sat May 29, 2004 3:30 pm

Oh.....forgot to add. I think he inherited the gene from dad. The breeder we got him from used to have a beer meister, they came home one day and the dog had drunk a LARGE quantity out of the keg. Pulled the lever with his foot and lapped away. The same dog would open the fridge and steal their dinner. Needless to say he was not allowed to patrol when they were gone.......... roflmao

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues