Poplin was hungry....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Poplin was hungry....

Postby hyperbole » Thu May 27, 2004 11:51 am

Poplin was REALLY hungry yesterday. He ate about 6 cups of Canidae, a cup or so of cottage cheese, and an egg.

He usually eats about 3 cups a day total. What gives? Do dogs have super hungry days sometimes? He just kept eating and coming to me for more. I usually free feed Poplin because he doesn't ever overeat, but yesterday he was eating like a horse.

He got as much excercise as he usually gets, so it's not like he "needed" the extra food for energy. I'm not sure what to make of it.

:huh?:
hyperbole
 

Postby concreterose » Thu May 27, 2004 1:22 pm

It sounds like Poplin played you...and you fell for it roflmao
User avatar
concreterose
Regulator
 
Posts: 13939
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby phez718 » Thu May 27, 2004 1:28 pm

Yeah, dogs are like kids on Halloween, they'll eat til their tummies hurt. lol
phez718
 

Postby hyperbole » Thu May 27, 2004 1:30 pm

hahahaha, well I don't really mind that he ate that much... I was just wondering if other peep's dogs go crazy and eat like a horse once in awhile....

Frankly I wish he ate more than he usually does....It would be good for him to fill out a little bit and get rid of some of that loose skin around his neck... :))
hyperbole
 

Postby jmann4 » Thu May 27, 2004 1:54 pm

My dogs go through eating spells after hard exercise. Other than that they eat 2 small cups of food per day.
jmann4
 

Postby rosiegirl » Thu May 27, 2004 2:48 pm

Rosie eats like that sometimes too. She only gets fed twice a day, and sometimes she just eats a few bites and sometimes she wolfs it all down and looks for more.
rosiegirl
 

Re: Poplin was hungry....

Postby pitbullfan04 » Thu May 27, 2004 3:10 pm

hyperjoga wrote:Poplin was REALLY hungry yesterday. He ate about 6 cups of Canidae, a cup or so of cottage cheese, and an egg.

He usually eats about 3 cups a day total. What gives? Do dogs have super hungry days sometimes? He just kept eating and coming to me for more. I usually free feed Poplin because he doesn't ever overeat, but yesterday he was eating like a horse.

He got as much excercise as he usually gets, so it's not like he "needed" the extra food for energy. I'm not sure what to make of it.

:huh?:


yikes!
even his normal 3 cups sounds like a lot... how much does he weigh?
Candiae is a pretty high quality food; you usually don't have to feed as much. My 55 pound girl gets 2 cups a day.

of course, she would eat an entire bag if I left it out... I don't understand how anyone can free feed a pit bull!
:peace:
pitbullfan04
 

Re: Poplin was hungry....

Postby hyperbole » Thu May 27, 2004 3:55 pm

pitbullfan04 wrote:even his normal 3 cups sounds like a lot... how much does he weigh?
Candiae is a pretty high quality food; you usually don't have to feed as much. My 55 pound girl gets 2 cups a day.

He's around 55 pounds and not at all fat... He gets walked daily, we go jogging once in awhile, and we play a lot in the gallery... I wouldn't say he's over or underexercised..... though probably underexercised if anything... haha

I didn't realize 3 cups was a lot of food.. He poops twice a day, sometimes just once and sometimes 3 times, which seems normal enough.

I need a "*shrugs* dunno what else to say" emoticon. haha
hyperbole
 

Postby concreterose » Thu May 27, 2004 4:29 pm

Two cups a day should be plenty.
User avatar
concreterose
Regulator
 
Posts: 13939
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Poplin was hungry....

Postby pitbullfan04 » Thu May 27, 2004 5:06 pm

hyperjoga wrote:
pitbullfan04 wrote:even his normal 3 cups sounds like a lot... how much does he weigh?
Candiae is a pretty high quality food; you usually don't have to feed as much. My 55 pound girl gets 2 cups a day.

He's around 55 pounds and not at all fat... He gets walked daily, we go jogging once in awhile, and we play a lot in the gallery... I wouldn't say he's over or underexercised..... though probably underexercised if anything... haha

I didn't realize 3 cups was a lot of food.. He poops twice a day, sometimes just once and sometimes 3 times, which seems normal enough.

I need a "*shrugs* dunno what else to say" emoticon. haha



every dog is different. If he's really not fat (his ribs should just be showing) then what you're doing is probably fine.

Skinnier is healthier than fatter
pitbullfan04
 

Postby moto1320 » Thu May 27, 2004 7:28 pm

They have no control usually. Daisy broke into the pantry and ate about 15-20 cups of Innova, as opposed to her normal 2. :roll: She looked like a guppy she was so bloated and all I could do was stare when I came home. She still tried to get my dinner and Doc's. Ms. Piggy....

And up it slowly if need be but don't free feed. Doc weighs 5-10 lbs less than Daisy and he get's almost a cup more because he's a freak and it takes alot of energy to be him.
User avatar
moto1320
Regulator
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:20 pm
Location: NC

Postby mnp13 » Fri May 28, 2004 7:56 am

hyperjoga wrote:Frankly I wish he ate more than he usually does....It would be good for him to fill out a little bit and get rid of some of that loose skin around his neck... :))


Yeah, but you don't want him to fill out with fat!!! A spring pole does wonders for neck and shoulder development.

Michelle
mnp13
 

Postby hyperbole » Fri May 28, 2004 11:08 am

mnp13 wrote:
hyperjoga wrote:Frankly I wish this playa ate mo' than this playa usually does....It would be good fo' homeboy ta' fill out a little bit n' get rid of some of that loose skin around his neck... :))
Yeah, but you don't want homeboy ta' fill out with fat!!! A spring pole does wonders fo' neck n' shoulder development.

When you're right, you're right.

Unfortunately we don't have room for a permanent springpole. We've got exposed wood cielings and one huge wooden beam in the main gallery space (mainly for installation media), so I had set one up in there hanging from the beam for a couple weeks... but it was too much trouble getting out the 12ft. ladder to take it down everytime we opened for business. lol

I need to figure out how to setup a springpole that goes up and comes down from 15ft cielings easily.
hyperbole
 

Postby mnp13 » Fri May 28, 2004 12:01 pm

hyperjoga wrote:I need to figure out how to setup a springpole that goes up and comes down from 15ft cielings easily.


Hmmmm... What about a tie off? If there is a solid place to tie it off you could toss a rope over the beam and then just pull it up to correct height, that would be easy to do.... Of course that would only work if it is a fully exposed beam. I can't think of any other way to do it.

Michelle
mnp13
 

Postby hyperbole » Fri May 28, 2004 12:28 pm

mnp13 wrote:
hyperjoga wrote:I need to figure out how to setup a springpole that goes up and comes down from 15ft cielings easily.


Hmmmm... What about a tie off? If there is a solid place to tie it off you could toss a rope over the beam and then just pull it up to correct height, that would be easy to do.... Of course that would only work if it is a fully exposed beam. I can't think of any other way to do it.

Unfortunately it's not a fully exposed beam.......and besides the rope & bait have to be ~completely~ removed when we're open for business, not just hung out of reach... it is an art gallery afterall.. :)
hyperbole
 

Next

Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron