Female Pit Puppy - Very Skinny and needing a home!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Re: Female Pit Puppy - Very Skinny and needing a home!

Postby Libby » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:28 pm

I really like Delwyn!
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby nessa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:51 pm

So shes home now. Bathed for the second time today, munching a mid day meal.
Shes seriously skinny :(. Unfortunately she is not real keen on our two dogs at the moment. She growled at a dog at petsmart as well. Shes growling and barking at both of mine from her kennel atm. Dyson is concerned for her and whining, Kirby returns the barking. I'm hoping that letting her acclimate and learn that shes safe will have her with a different attitude soon. Is that realistic?
She is very petite, but is full grown and quite the little leaner! Totally friendly, tho a bit reserved towards people. Shes very skittish. Keep your fingers crossed that she starts to feel more secure and likes the boys!
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm

You can see her hipbones poor little lass!
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:24 pm

So before I read some great articles in the behavior forum I was letting the new chick be on leash but out of crate, while the other two were confined. She does this freaking adorable digging, nesting, turning thing before she settles. This is her conked out. Image

And potty time outside. She's got zero body fat so she needs a pretty pink sweater for venturing out in the yard.Image
She chose it over the lavender one with stripes!
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby patty » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Awwww she is adorable. Thank you for helping her out. It's great you are going to read the sticky and other posts members pointed you to. Wishing you and your new baby the best! Be patient it will take some time. Obviously she has had a rough start and needs to learn to trust and feel safe. Keep us updated on her progress!
patty
Forum Junky

Postby nessa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:36 pm

I just want to hold her and squeeze her and feed her every 5 min and rock her like a baby. I cried in the bath with her, when I was drying her she clung to me like Velcro. I know I have to build trust with her but seeing her insecurity is so painful.
The SO didn't feel a microchip but I have to wonder if someones looking for her. She's really good on leashes, better than my Beasty-boyz. She's a little lady, is our gal.
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Has she been scanned for a chip just in case?

Seriously though, I'd do a 10 day shut down - for real. She needs some time to decompress AND go through a quarantine period. You don't know what she's been exposed to and you don't want your boys to get something. 10 days will allow her to relax and be more receptive to the boys after bonding with you (gaining some trust in you) and will allow you to see if there's anything funky going on that needs vet attention.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby nessa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Luckily my SO is a vet. She will go in and get scanned etc. I think we will be doing 2 weeks min. of shutdown. I still need to do a lot more reading up on a lot of things!
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby tambius » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:52 am

Awwwwwe it looks like she is going to have a great home. I am hoping with time she will be come less skittish and mesh with your family. We have no idea where she came from or what she's been through.
I love her pink sweater!

Thanks again for helping us save her. Looks like she is in good hands!

Question - in one of your previous posts, you said she is full grown. Does that mean we were wrong in thinking she was just a pup?

Just curious, and thanks so much for the updates! I'll be sure to pass them along to my brother.
tambius
Matured Bully

Postby nessa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 am

Yes, vet-boy checked her teeth. With the amount of plaque and I guess the way they look, he thinks shes between 2-3 years. Shes a true pocket pit! I can't wait to get some weight on her.
Shes doing better. She actually has started gnawing on the boy's nylabones during her out time, and I hear her in her kennel taking token gnaws at the one you guys gave her. Shes in a large crate with a beach towel over it so she can be smelled but not seen. It seems to calm her to a degree as well. She woke me at 3:20 for a potty break and went right out and did all the businesses. At first she was terribly nervous going in and out of doors, now shes moving through just fine.
She really likes our Zukes training treat thingies. She does NOT like getting back in her kennel. She will reach in as far as she can to nab a treat. She goes in by her self, after much consternation, when her dish is in there with a meal. Other than that she has to be placed back in there. I'm going to put a smidgen some of green tripe in her bowl I think for some added incentive to get back in her kennel. She has a pink blankie and pillow in there, what is she waiting for, fanning boys and grapes?
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 am

Shes in her kennel gnawing away at her bone, having a very vocal conversation with it. For you wow players, she sounds vaguely murloc-esque. Dyson does that sometimes.
The SO will take her in to the clinic tomorrow and run tests, and do the things that vets do. He's concerned she might be HW+. Lets hope not!
We have decided on Reka/Eureka for her. I think Reka fits pretty well. She really is a darling. I will be looking for some high calorie treats for her, if anyone has some suggestions hollah!
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Update-

Reka is Heartworm negative!!! She has no microchip either, poor little mite. Shes getting a full blood work-up, fecal, all that jazz. She had some really bad diarrhea last night and this morning so we decided to take her in to the clinic now instead of waiting. I'm sure its the change in diet but you never know! Might as well get dewormed and on the track to getting sleek.
She's 35 pounds, which is more than I thought. I'm stronger than I thought, as well! I can just scoop her up. She is such a darling, guys. She needed to go out last night around midnight and afterward we sat on the floor together and she climbed in my lap, let out a big sigh and snuggled. :inlove:
She has the most interesting fur. Its not crisp like the boys, but finer, like baby down fuzz. Kind of like a cloud, so soft. Shes not a chewer, so far, meaning she still has her little pink blankie and pillow, and a pink wubba. What a concept, for there not to be filling scattered all thru her kennel. She just might be a neatfreak! :woowoo:
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Congrats!

Also, those are the longest toes I have ever seen on a dog! lol
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby nessa » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 pm

You should have seen her nails.... they were almost as long as her toes. >ponder<
That makes me wonder.... if she were out on the streets, wouldn't her nails have been worn down?
She also has urine stains on her butt, as tho she were forced to sit in it for a while. I wonder if she just escaped from some horrid place? Anyways, I clipped them a little but am having the tech do a better job while shes in the clinic. I'm always afraid I'll quick! Maybe she's part monkey with those toes!
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby tambius » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:28 pm

I am SO relieved she is HW negative! That is GREAT news!! Thank you for all the updates. I love hearing about her progress. Sounds like things are going pretty well with little Reka. :-0

:bowdown: You are her ANGEL!!
tambius
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs