adopting in midwest winter

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

adopting in midwest winter

Postby dr961 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm beginning to look for a male pit bull to adopt, having recently had to have my old guy put to sleep. At present, I only have my female and it's feeling a bit dull around here. I read the great info on this forum about handling newly adopted dogs, introducing to resident dogs, etc., and about the importance of exercise in the yard for the new dog. I'm now wondering if I should wait until warmer weather before bringing a new dog home. It's so cold and often snowy here it makes exercising and entertaining dogs difficult, and I'm concerned that the new dog will miss out on being able to release energy and anxiety by having to spend most of his time indoors. Any advice?
dr961
Super Bully

Re: adopting in midwest winter

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:50 pm

I just sent you a pm . :0 ) maybe it will help you decide. :thumbsup:
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby bullheaded » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 am

I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as many on this forum, but I still exercise my guys during the winter. We put coats/jammies and boots on our guys to go out. We also try to do a lot of mental stimulation in the house with puzzle games, we work on training things that need tuning up. You can play tug, or if you have the space some people have set up spring poles in their houses. Another possibility is a treadmill. I think that working with the dog inside would be good for bonding with it. I don't know what you are looking for in a dog, but may I suggest looking at Meatball, he is listed in the rescue section on here. You can do a search on here for him also to get more info on here. He was listed on here a little while ago. I don't personally know the person who currently has him, but I would trust her to be honest about the dog. Which ever way you decide to go, good luck in your search.
bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby bullheaded » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 am

Sorry bout the DP but I also thought of another dog, Virgil. He is on here also if you want to do a search.
bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Meatball is with me! I did send a pm to the OP that with her slightly excitable and slightly DA dog she might think twice about stressing this dog with another dog. This is excactly the scenerio that has returned Meatball, an excitable dog and a calm dog, seems the excitable dog finally won and Meatball is back.
I think the thing with this breed and, well any dog, that excitement and aggression are pretty much the same emotion..sure I know what one may think .. "what of course they arent" but its the same heightened level of the dogs emotions, and bullies and terriers and other breeds also , go to easily into defensive/aggressive drive and an excited dog with slight aggression is living in constant stress on the "Edge" and the slightest problem can easily topple the dogs into an argument.

So I after years of shuffling and caring for dogs and multiple pit bulls I am really starting to think one is really enough for an average to great owner. Bullies just seem so damn human focused, and it really isnt the majority that want another doggy friend..

yanno?

well off my soap box.. and back to yanno..shufflin...sigh
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs