Barbponys

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Barbponys

Postby CinderDee » Thu May 27, 2004 10:18 pm

Hi Pat,

I thought you might be interested in this because you use Atarax.(Hydroxyzine HCL)

Kato is still on it and I was simply flabbergasted by the price I was paying. They cost $45.00 for 80 pills and he is taking 6 pills per day.
I called my cousin who is a vet, and he is getting them for me at his cost which is $89.00 for 1,000 pills. Can you believe the markup on this??? :roll:

Hope all is well with you!
Dee & Still Itchy Kato

P.S. I wanted to ask if you think dogs can be allergic to peanut butter. I asked my vet and she said no, but I'm not sure that I believe that.
What do you think of almond butter for pilling Kato?
Thanks!
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Fri May 28, 2004 10:55 pm

Hey Dee,
Welllll, nuts certainly aren't out of the question as far as allergies. My pug is allergic to walnuts. My dogs LOVE nut butter, I make one of almonds, hazlenuts and cashews. I've never had a problem with it at all. Using it to pill Kato should work great. I've been known to use banana!! LOL. Goliath will swallow it whole with out chewing, the same with a hunk of meat.

I actually don't use Hydroxazine anymore. One of the less common side effects is siezures...........we thought he had epilepsy.......nope! The powder I got for the horse was the culprit, BAD. Sooo, one more challenge with having a pug, drug sensitivity. AAAARGGH

Pat

P.S. The markup on drugs is sickening. It's amazing what you pay for the poop. GRRR
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Fri May 28, 2004 11:02 pm

I actually don't use Hydroxazine anymore. One of the less common side effects is siezures...........we thought he had epilepsy.......nope! The powder I got for the horse was the culprit, BAD. Sooo, one more challenge with having a pug, drug sensitivity. AAAARGGH

Hi Pat,

Awww, the poor baby. I hope he's okay now.

I didn't know about the seizure side effect, but it was either that or Pred and I won't give Pred to Kato. He seems to do pretty well on Hydroxizine, but my goal is to get him off all meds.

I think I'll try the nut butters. :)

Thanks for the help, Pat!
Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Sat May 29, 2004 9:18 am

You're welcome Dee.

Isn't it soo much fun having a dog that's allergic to life? It makes me sad but he's such a great little dog. I hope you get to the point with Kato that's he's drug free. It will be a day worth celebrating. Good luck.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues