Weight gain ideas

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Weight gain ideas

Postby sashagirl » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:45 pm

Since my youngests last growth spurt, she has stayed really thin... I feed her well, but she just doesn't seem to gain. She does not act unhealthy in anyway. Has plenty of energy, so I have not taken her to the vet yet. But I am close to doing so. She does not look emaciated, but you can definately see her back bone and rib cage. I know it is common to be able to see their ribcages just barely, but this is just a bit too much... Does anyone have any ideas???

I currently feed her once a day, since I work during the day, if I feed her in the morning, she can't hold it til I get home. I feed my older girl the same way, and she is fine... (By the way, they are 2 and 4 years old)

I am terrified of feeding raw meat... (I know I know, just from the pros and cons I have read, I don't take the chances) But I am open to cooked food recipes that might help...
sashagirl

Postby HugABull1 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:32 pm

when was the last time she was dewormed? How active is she? What are you feeding and how much? My oldest, Angel is quite thin, you can see her ribs when she inhales, and you can somewhat see her spine, and she's the perfect weight, for her. But she is very active, eats a high quality (BARF) diet, is current on vaccinations, is dewormed, and sees the vet regularly. Has your girl always been this thin?
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby sashagirl » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:10 pm

When I first noticed the weight loss I had her dewormed. She was not always this thin, just since the last growth spurt. (6 months or so) She is current on vaccinations. She currently eats Purina One. I was feeding Wellness, but was worried that maybe it was "too good" and that was the cause of the weight loss. After switching though there has been no change, so I will go back to the Wellness. I will take a picture of her current state tonight and post it... Oh, and by the way... She is a very hyperactive dog... So I guess that's probably all it is. But, again, I will post the pic tonight or tomorrow and see what you guys think. Maybe I am just a paranoid mama...
sashagirl

Postby Cashus » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:52 pm

I must say that I have had that similar problem with my dog when he was about 6 months but I then changed his dog food which was pedigree and now started him on Pro Plan ,Eukanuba 1/2 and 1/2 and he looks really good now compared to how he was. But at the sane time I think it has alot to do with there growth period. For my boy being 1year and a half I still feed him twice a day. So just maybe she not ready for a once a day feeding. I had a site that help with weight gaining I will try and see if I can find it.
Cashus

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:34 pm

Sasha,

Felony is a babe no matter what! Some dogs just dont get all fat and lazy, Like Giz has! LOL Our new doggy friends have Damien, There is a link some where here with the picture link I will try to find it and he is built but you can see his ribs and back bones, They are also wanting to do what you want to do and get some meat on him. I am trying to convince them to change his food but he is content on the food, That dog also has allergies so that might be a part of it. Not usre, I wish you luck and if you find out something let me know ok!! Would love to see new pics!!
Jessa N Gizmo! :))
JessaNGizmo

Postby moto1320 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:29 pm

Wellness and Innova etc have a much higher quality protein level that, mixed with exercise, will fill her out. You can't have food that is "too" good. Without exercise she should get chubby any way. What is her weight and how much are you feeding. Two cups twice a day is what mine have gotten for 60 lbs. When I switched from nutro to Innova that was cut down by about half because of the food quality and she started gaining weight on the Innova right away (I've had to lengthen our walks to compensate for just a tad of tummy :roll: ) By the way, have you tried just a small meal in the morning?
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues