New grain-free dog food!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: New grain-free dog food!

Postby mypuppyJack » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:33 am

Im still feeding it but mine did ok on kirkland lamb also. Their poops are a little looser than I like which wouldn't bother me except their normal potty area in the back woods is snowed in so they are going close to the house and I have to pick it up :(

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby akaspaddero » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:27 am

Found it in my Costco today!!! Gonna give it a whirl. My only concern if potato,potato, potato!
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 am

Our Costco just got this, and I'm giving it a shot ... we usually feed TOTW, but I couldn't resist giving it a try. $33 for 35 pounds is a pretty killer price for a grain-free food. Of course, it's got a lot of potato in it ... but based on the online reviews, it seems like a lot of people feeding it like it.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby heartbullies » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 am

Yep, we tried it. The large amount of potato seemed to result in a large amount of poop compared fo TOTW. I had to feed a little more to keep weight on B so that may explain some of it.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:40 pm

so far, not in love. tucker's feeling grimy, and he used to always feel super-soft and clean, goopy eyes on all the dogs, and doc's dropping weight, so we have already had to double the amount of food we feed him ... if things don't improve by the time this bag's gone, we'll be back to TOTW.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby ewwies » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:39 pm

Just bought my first bag! I had switch from nature's variety venison to kirklands chicken. Deno hasnt done too well with it. So ill give this a go..... before I go back to that expensive NV.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby blkngldbabe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:03 am

Noriko525 wrote:and that's where my hesitation lies...

If the food doesn't agree with her.. no problem, Treyce can finish the bag.. that dog could live off of tin cans if he had to, no allergies or sensativities to anything. What I CANNOT afford to have happen though, is an ear infection (which is how she reacts -within hours- to a food allergy.) I am so so so so so desperate to try something new though. Her allergies have been absolute HELL to deal with this year and I'm doing everything skin wise that I can so its boiling down to the possibility of her having deleloped a mild allergy to the food she's done so great on for the past 2 years. I'm definitely not convinced its a food allergy that has her stinking up an entire room (she's already on prescribed yeast pills for it.. no worries people) and she's hairless around her eyes/nose/armpits...from what I've ready- that's typically an "environmental" allergic reaction. We have shampoos, we wash blankets and dog every week... I'm just so desperate... I really want to see if a new food helps her. *sigh* I don't know what to do.

Anyone with a really bad allergy dog eating this food and care to share your experience with me?

Herbie used to have this issue BIGTIME. We went grain free and it declined but still was apparent. The vet said it was seasonal but after trial and error we realized carrots, which we were treating with, were a culprit as well. This year for the first time, it's almost August and he's needed no shots and no prednisone and has had NO reactions. I've had him on either Acana or Orijen the red meat variety of both and he has done wonderfully. No gas...YAY!!!! :peace: No rare roast beef under the arms and he has hair around his eyes for the first summer in years.
blkngldbabe
Super Bully

Postby kornygerm » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:03 pm

I want to give kirkland a chance and skipped Pedigree for once in a life time, sometimes cheapest means ok for my family, and i would invest a lifetime trying to change their mind.
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby BabyReba » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:03 pm

well, we won't be going back to nature's domain ... which is a bit disappointing, since it's so damn cheap AND it's grain free.

but poor tucker developed a serious itching problem on this food, and he's licked and chewed a couple of hot spots into his belly on it. which is not something he's ever done before.

we put him back on TOTW and the itching and chewing subsided after a week or so.

i really need to get these dogs back on raw. i really wish this house had room for a freezer so i could buy in large quantities.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby pblove » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:16 pm

all the potatoe ingred and peas probably caused poor Tucker a yeast overload
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 am

The dogs have been on it for 1 month now.. Deno's skin has improved... he hasn't had any flair ups. I continued with 1 cup morning & night.. his weight is normal. Poops are normal. Only difference is his farts smell fishy... same fishy smell from poop. yuck.
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:15 pm

I read this thread once... but didn't re-read this time.... did anyone notice increased eye boogers on Natures Domain? Ruby seems to have more gunk lately. :(
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby PBF lurker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 pm

HappyPuppy, see below:
BabyReba wrote:so far, not in love. tucker's feeling grimy, and he used to always feel super-soft and clean, goopy eyes on all the dogs, and doc's dropping weight, so we have already had to double the amount of food we feed him ... if things don't improve by the time this bag's gone, we'll be back to TOTW.
PBF lurker
Newborn Bully

Postby pblove » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:38 pm

way too many potatoes and peas for my likings. if you have a dog with any yeast issues your going to have issues with this food, potatoes, peas, carrots turn to sugar once eaten and sugar will feed the yeast in your dog/ if your dog is battling any allergies, cancer, yeast/staph, hot spots, skin eruptions. itching this food is a big no imho
that greasy feeling on Tucker is a typical sign of yeast trouble( erin, my opinion and using Tucker as an example)
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Darn................. not happy with this now.... When we're done with the bag, I'm either going back to TOTW or or to the regular chicken and rice Kirkland..... pooey!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues