Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby patty » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Informative Explanation Causes of Lumps -- Bumps -- Nodules

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1638&aid=424
patty
Forum Junky

CANCER info (my Dozer =[ )

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 am

A friend of mine recently lost her pit bull to lymphoma, and now our dear PBF buddy Hoss is fighting bone cancer.
My friend Jen's dog was diagnosed suddenly and she lost her within the year. The dog wasn't even 4 yrs old. :sad:

My Dozer has had a few lumps and bumps here and there. They come and go. He had a small pencil eraser sized bump on his ear. It was above the skin, and within two months disappeared.
He has had a small one on his thigh that also disappeared.
Now, at the base of his tail he has a dime sized knot that isn't squsihy. It is firm.
I shaved around it so I can measure the size and monitor it for a week or two before making an appt.
However, every day that goes by I cant help but worry that it is malignant and dangerous.
He hasn't been acting as cheerful as he used to. He is 4 now as of May.
This past yr we have to TELL him to eat his food at dinner time, when 1 yr old Koda scarfs her down just fine.
He sleeps 75% of the day.

So his eating habits have decreased and his activity has as well. However if I put wet food or RAW in his kibble he doesn't hesistate at all. AND! If I say "lets go swimming" he isnt a slow mover in any way shape or form.

I am hesitant to make the appointment because Im afraid of the answers I will receive. My boy is 4 years old.
My Mom says not to worry too much he is just maturing and is an adult now, but these little cysts or masses that appear every now and then make me very concerned.

How many of you have had some sort of "cancer" experience with dogs (mainly pit bull types) ?
What kind of cancer? How long did you they have after finding out?
Please give your cancer experiences and info.
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Poop, another one of our own has one, but it has good margins! :nana: y-e-a-h :nana:

Read it here >>> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=143143&p=1889735#p1889735
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 pm

another one joins the club

Isabeau
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=143671
RescueAPBT wrote:It's technically on her hip, an inch or two from the base of her tail.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Maggie
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=143143&p=1889735#p1889735

pre surgery
kaytenmags wrote:maggie has a pea sized lump on the bit of skin that stretches over her 'tuck' (or where her tuck would be if she was in better shape lol).

post surgery
kaytenmags wrote:the incision is looking good. the shaved spot is kinda slimming, it makes her look like she's got more of a tuck than she acctually does. it's a bit like wearing vertical stripes to look thinner lol

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:17 pm

hair's growing back in now, and the incision looks healed up and great! :)
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 am

3 years ago, our Tiva had a MCT in her tail, incomplete margins on removal, intermediate grade 2. We also opted for amputation, and Tiva healed very well. She had 3 more years cancer-free.

Now she's 15, and she got another MCT, this time on her leg. We had another surgery, and again we got similar pathology reports: dirty margins, grade II, low mitotic index, so we're considering various chemo/radiation/watchful waiting options.

The lesson I learned from Tiva's experience: stay on top of each new lump and bump! We had a lot of lumps and bumps aspirated during those 3 years, but I waited a little too long to have her most recent lump aspirated. Because all the others had been fine, I wasn't in any hurry, and I should have been. Make a little map of your dog's bumps, and have any new lump aspirated as quickly as possible.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tia_leigha » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 am

Dozer is having 3 pea sized tumors removed as we speak. Unfortunately I was bad and didnt get "before" pictures, but I will be sure to keep you updated on the progress.

The blood work came back fine, but the aspiration from the tumor itself showed strange cells which is why he wants to send them off.
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tiva » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 am

Good luck!
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby moochesmama » Fri May 13, 2011 11:22 pm

I haven't posted much at all here lately but Puny and I will join this sad little club :(

It is a marble sized lump right on her nipple. She is set to have it removed Wednesday the 18th. She's had it since Christmas time and the vet said it was just a pimple when she went in for her wellness visit before boarding. I think I'm a little miffed that they didn't aspirate it then - her being a vulnerable breed and all. She is 6 1/2 years old and either all pitbull or a pitfull boxer mix.

Stupid tumor

Puny with 50 mg of benedryl in her
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 14, 2011 10:00 am

I'm sorry :(

I'd be a little miffed about them not aspirating when it was found as well. Sometimes you have to push for what you want. I probably would have asked/told them to do it anyway.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby moochesmama » Sat May 14, 2011 3:13 pm

FBODGRL wrote:I'm sorry :(

I'd be a little miffed about them not aspirating when it was found as well. Sometimes you have to push for what you want. I probably would have asked/told them to do it anyway.

If I knew what I know now I would have. I guess I ignored the mast cell threads until my dog had one :( I took the vet's word for it that it was a pimple. At least she's enjoying all the cheese that's covering her 6 benedryls a day LOL
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby ilovetyson » Sun May 15, 2011 10:53 am

I never seen this post before.. :-/

But I lost my Tyson back in Nov to Mast Cell Tumors. He had a cpl small ones for a cpl years, didn't think anything of it. Honastly, knew nothing about mast Cell. He had a HUGE Lump on his back, but every vet that saw it said it was nothing, and to have it removed, would be Expensive and risky because of location. So, we just didn't do anything with it. But, I knew something was wrong when some of his lumps were getting bigger, and he was getting more small ones. But it took One lump to push it all over the edge for me. It literally poped up over night..and was the size of a quarter!
That is what I woke up to one morning!

Well, I took him to the vet.. had 3 asperated.. all different shapes, sizes and locations. And all of them were heavy with cells.. That is when we knew. 3 mo later, we let him cross the bridge.

It was a tough time, and If I knew 3yrs ago, what i know now, I may have caught it earlier..And I Kick myself all the time for this.

But, it happened, and I Can't change that. He is now healthy and happy, and no more cancer. I Wouldn't take back my decision for anything. He had a wonderful life! And was loved by many!

I am glad most the people here have been able to catch it on so early!

RIP Tyson!
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby julie64 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:39 am

You and Puny will be in my thoughts. :hug:
Please keep us posted. Mast cell seems to becomming more and more common now. : (
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Wed May 18, 2011 7:47 am

Julie how is Shay doing these days? Everything ok?
Enigma
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues