New member from Ontario Canada where Pits are now banned

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New member from Ontario Canada where Pits are now banned

Postby Harley Bacon » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:45 pm

Hi everyone, Im from ontario like I mentioned where a bill was just passed but will be disputed that "pitbull like dogs" are banned. Have to be on a lease and muzzled at all times in public and can be confiscated from private property by animal control or the police at any time if deemed dangerous.

My girlfriend and I adopted Harley from the Toronto Humane society. We saw her online and had to go by for a look. When we went inside I said to my gf, just remember where we are and if she is mean or scared its cause of all the noise from barking etc and that she is scared etc and that she may not be very friendly. Well, we walked up to her stall and she was sitting up in the corner not making a noise, just looking at us, ALL of the other dogs were barking so loud it was almost deafening. We squatted down and she came over and looked at us, gave us a lick and we were sold. She has turned out to be the finest representation of a dog I and my gf have ever seen. She doesnt bark (only when knocks on the door) she only plays/chews on her toys, she goes pee and poo on command and is just always looking to please, she is incredibly loyal and loving. My friends have had some pitbulls and all have been awesome which is why I ended up with one. I love this dog and will never give er up, ban or no ban, this dog is the BEST. :thumbsup:
Harley Bacon

Postby ShadowWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:01 pm

Congratulations on adopting and good luck with the BSL. I hope things work out for the better for Ontario residents. :crybaby:
ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby moochesmama » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:46 pm

Welcome! Wish it were a happier time for you and all of us.
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:36 pm

:welcome: Glad you found the board and I'm more pleased to here that your dog found such devoted owners. This ban is going to be very trying for everyone affected.
pocketpit

Postby pitbullforever » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:13 pm

:welcome: great job rescueing i can't wait to see pics of your angel. :))
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby Wednesday » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:30 am

Hi fellow Ontarion :hi Sucks to be us right now, doesn't it? :sad:
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lil Bella's Mommy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:25 am

Sounds like your dog made it to a great home with good people. Welcome!
Lil Bella's Mommy

Postby tjbsandy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:58 am

:welcome:
tjbsandy

Postby Harley Bacon » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:48 am

Wow! It's great to have found a board with such supportive fellow pitbull owners. You know this ban has only been in effect 1 full day and I already feel like people are treating me differently.

I just came back from the dog park and of course I have no muzzle yet, I kept my dog on a leach but no one would let there dog come near mine. Owners would freak out and yell at their dog if they came within 2 feet of my Harley! I also live in a condo and people now look at us funny in the elevator, they stand as far away as they possibly can from the dog, cause she's so "viscious".

My biggest fear of this law is the fact that the police can take away your dog if it's been deemed "menacing". This means that any person that just doesnt like you or your dog can claim it is menacing (whatever that means) and have it taken away.

It's a sad, sad time here for pit bull owners in Ontario, I really hope that the fight is not over.
Harley Bacon

Postby Timmay » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:56 am

welcome and welcome to the fight
Timmay

Postby Kirstan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:56 pm

Can you guys get the CGC and therapy dog titles up that way?

If you can, do it. Get the vests and patches that go with those titles and have your dog in them at ALL times. It's hard to be afraid of a therapy dog. Really, really hard. They'll at least engage in conversation with you - my dogs are in their vests ALL the time now. We're out, the vests are on.

I smile BIG even when people are grabbing their kids, who, inevitably, ask why the dog has a coat on.

Can you get titled up that way?
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby pitbullforever » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:56 pm

i agree you need to fight this fight. BSL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crybaby:
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby oko pol » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:08 am

WELCOME !!!
oko pol

Postby ice_queen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:00 am

:hi I don't know if this will help you But it has worked for me>
I made sure to intoduce my babys to our local police and animal control officer , just so they could see how loving they where. The animal control dude has been by a few times for a visit (smalltown) knows my babys and knows any call coming in will be bogus! We meet the police out side the station in a heavy traffic area my guys never moved, ( was luckey got one who owns a pitty) he will make sure to tell the rest of his buds that they are sweethearts! and he sugested that I only carry the muzzle not put it on! " We have a few rebles on our police force."
ice_queen

Postby pblove » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:26 am

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for rescueing your baby!
I also, offer my condolences for your plight.
I take my girl out every weekend for meet and greet.
I will go to the post office shopping centers, Petmart, Petco, or just sit on a bench at a park. I try to wear a shirt taht says on front, "Yes she is a pit bull", back says, "yes, she is FRIENDLY!"
She has shirt too that says, Yes, I AM friendly". This helps to break the ice, that and her crying and to meet every person that comes near us.
It is one small way in which I can help to show a positive side to our dogs.
Some days are good, some I come home so mad I say I am not going out there again, but I do, every weekend.
Spring is coming soon and then all the fund raisers, dog walks and.events will be starting back up, we will be at all of them
Tomorrow is the H.S for a beagle event and then off to PEtsmart and the Park.Along the way I collect a lot of names and numbers to hlep fight this fight.
Keep your head up high, good luck to you and yours.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Introductions