Alternatives to the E collar?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Alternatives to the E collar?

Postby Red » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Oh no. The incision site must have bothered her though.My Ice went through a couple knee surgeries and she didn't really try to mess with the area.Good thoughts to you and your dog. The recovery after a surgery like that can be stressful indeed.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:53 am

ugh. i can sympathise, but it doesn't make things any easier!
hopefully the antibiotics will work. we tried a few different kinds (some were REALLY hard on her stomach), and eventually even tried gabapentin to see if it was a neuropathic issue.
a good cone setup is a life saver, but hopefully you won't need to rely on it as long as i have!
*thinking positive thoughts*
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sunnygirl01 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:29 am

Well, we found out that Bella can still get to her leg around the inflatable collar. She sits funny (kinda like a human with her legs out in front of her) and if she sits to one side with her leg in the air she can get to her knee.
UGH!!!!

Now the plan is to drive her to the vet every morning and pick her up every evening before they close. That way she will be monitored at all times. They are only going to charge me $10 per day so I feel like that is a good deal and she will be in good hands. This must be what it is like to have kids without a support system. (Actually this is the exact same thing!)
I would have never thought of my Vet keeping her during the day. I called them out of desperation hoping they had someone they could refer me to and they made the offer. What a relief!
sunnygirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby mtlu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:29 pm

That is awesome that your vet will watch her during the day – the first time Molly had surgery, I took a couple weeks of vacation time (and we scheduled the surgery during BF's winter break of his school schedule) so that we could be at home with her. I hope she continues to heal well :)
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby sunnygirl01 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 pm

I was just reading back through my posts and came across this one. While reading it I could feel the anxiety build up in my chest. I had forgotten what a stressful time that was until I read back through..then it felt like it was yesterday!

I just wanted to update and say that I am SOOOOOO GLAD we had the TPLO surgeries done. Bella has recovered beautifully and runs like the wind. Wel....kinda like a lazy, out of shape wind maybe! :oops:
But we are working on the out of shape thing for both of us!
sunnygirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:49 pm

sunnygirl01 wrote:I would have never thought of my Vet keeping her during the day. I called them out of desperation hoping they had someone they could refer me to and they made the offer. What a relief!

We have had to do this before as well, so glad you figured out a plan!! $10 a day is a great deal!!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues