joints clicking

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
foogs
Newborn Bully

joints clicking

Postby foogs » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 am

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. My Hayley's joints have been clicking a bit as of late when she walks, and she also has a small limp when walking slowly through the house. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I think the limp is from a little stack we had (me on bike, her running.. dont ask haha) so i'm not overly concerned about that. One of her joints used to click when she was a bit younger so I cut back her ammount of running/ walking and exercised her in otherways and it went away after a short period of time. As of late she has been running a lot more than usual and now they have started to click again. Is it possible I am over working her and her joints are stressing. I am not overly concerned that it is hip dysplasia or arthritus or anything like this at this point because to me it seems the timing a bit coincidental with the increased/decreased working schedules.

When I taken her for a slow paced run( i ride next to her while she runs) she is always so overly enthousiastic that she trys to pull me (this I don't like seeing as she is only 13 months old and only around 20kg, a very small bulldog), could this be a part of the problem?

On that note, if it isn't something like arthritus (which I definitely do not think it is), is there are exercises that I can do that will wear her down without causing any further problems? She is a dog with a very strong drive and good atheltic ability and I don't want to deny her of the exercise that she deserves...

Also is there any suppliments or ingredients I can add to her diet to give her stronger bone and joints?

Just on a side note that I think relates, I have a similar issue with my elbows clicking when lifting any type of weight over about 30kg's and thats related to weak ligaments... just something that I thought could be the same type of problem.

Thanks.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: joints clicking

Postby April » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 am

I think you should take your dog to your vet if it's limping and joints cracking might be something serious.
I wouldn't run the dog if this is happening for the time being.

peachesmommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby peachesmommy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm

I had read online that when you can hear the joints click in dogs its' sometimes the start of hip dysplasia. I would recommend a vet visit immediately before anything gets any worse. And I also would stop the running until you find out what's causing this.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Gypsy's knees pop/click sometimes after we play fetch. She has arthritis in both knees.

I agree with getting your pup in to see your vet.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:19 pm

I also agree with vet visit and I thought I had seen recommendations to *not* run/bike with a dog for exercise until their growth plates are closed and they are done growing. I'm not sure if the growth plates are closed by 13 months – how long have you been biking with her?

Return to “Health Issues”