Honey Bun and Puppies - CA

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Honey Bun and Puppies - CA

Postby Kandice » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 am

I rescue and foster a lot of dogs, they just seem to find me (24 so far this year, including Honey and puppies). This time, it was Honey Bun. She's a pretty brindle pitbull mix that my husband saw running around his work (A trucking/road construction yard). He started feeding her his daily honey bun that I packed in his lunch. When he told me about her, I started packing a bag of dog food in his lunch every day. After a couple days of good dog food, all she would have to do is hear his truck come in the yard and she was running for him.

After a few weeks, she started to get chubby. On February 8, I went to the yard to pick up his pay check. She was there, I took one look at her, and I told him she was preggo. I guessed about 6-7 weeks. So, I loaded her up in my car and took her home. She's been amazing ever since: no accidents in the house, basic manners (except she jumps up at times), and she took right to crating. On the 21st she started to show signs of labor, I waited, and nothing. This continued the next night, so I called and made her an appointment. They couldn't get me in until Thursday. When I brought her in Thursday, the doctor did an xray, and an exam. She found that she was fully dilated, and that none were stuck in the birth canal. She said she had uterine inertia. She gave her one shot of oxytocin, and sent me home with two more. We gave her a shot about every half hour, and no puppies. The vet told me she needed a c-section. Honey had some trouble through surgery. She had low calcium, low respiration rate, and she was bleeding too much for them to spay her.. She also lost A LOT of blood. Once they got her calcium rate up, she started to do better. Eight healthy puppies were delivered. Six girls and two boys.

Honey Bun and her puppies are going to need homes in a couple months - Honey will be spayed for sure, and I'm going to try to raise the money to do the puppies too. But, I'm having a hard enough time trying to pay for the c-section.

I'm looking for potential adopters for her and the puppies, and I've created a Chip-In page for her.
http://honeybun.chipin.com/honeys-emergency-c-section

Kandice
Newborn Bully

Re: Honey Bun and Puppies - CA

Postby Madeleinemom » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:36 am

Thank you to you and your husband for helping Honey Bun and her puppies.

In addition to the Chipin, have you considered asking Pit Bull Rescue for help as well (at least for the future cost of the spays/neuters for Mom and pups)?
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Kandice » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:03 pm

I've emailed a TON of rescues, and I'm not getting much help. Only one has responded, and they said they couldn't help.

I've also applied for assistance from PBRC, but haven't heard anything.

We have a fix your pit program here, that I can do spay/neuters through for $40 each, but that still adds up to another $360. Mom will be done for sure though.

I'm going to also try the Kern County Pitbull Project, which is put on by Villalobos. They don't know when the next event will be though. Their price is $15.
Kandice
Newborn Bully

Postby mutty » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:29 am

Aww!!!
Mom is adorable :inlove:
mutty
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:45 am

Best of luck to you, Honeybun and her pups. Goodness that looks like a LOT of work.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:Best of luck to you, Honeybun and her pups. Goodness that looks like a LOT of work.

:goodpost:
I have never seen an x-ray like that. That's pretty cool.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:26 am

So nice of you to help her!

We have a fix your pit program here, that I can do spay/neuters through for $40 each, but that still adds up to another $360. Mom will be done for sure though.

Great price! Please don't let the pups go out unaltered. If even one has (or sires) a litter, all your work saving these dogs is undone as there will be 6-12 more to take their place and the fall out continues from there as each of THOSE may have more pups. You've come this far. Start a Chip In and you should raise $360 easy!
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kandice » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:29 pm

I'll get them done, I'm pretty determined on that. =)

And I love looking at the X-Rays like that.

Mom and pups are doing great. They're two weeks and two days today. They all have open eyes and are starting to walk and get really vocal. This is my favorite stage. I'll post more pictures of them tonight. =)
Kandice
Newborn Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Glad to hear they're all doing well, and so looking forward to pictures :)
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Shanda » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Kandice wrote:I'll get them done, I'm pretty determined on that. =)

:thumbsup: awesome! Thanks for helping this pretty baby :inlove: And her babies :inlove: :inlove:

I'm curious though, how come she was not spayed during the C-section? (I'm not being critical, I'm just wondering)
Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kandice » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:52 pm

She wasn't spayed during the c-section because she was already losing a lot of blood, and she was having a lot of problems in surgery. The vet said she would have bled out if we spayed her at the same time.
Kandice
Newborn Bully

Postby Shanda » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Ugh, how scary! I would have bailed, too. I'm glad she is doing well. :))
Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kandice » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeah, I'm a tech student, so the vet let me participate in resuscitating pups. =D It was AMAZING. But when they almost lost Honey, I froze. It ended up being her calcium.

Kandice
Newborn Bully

Postby Rachael » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Kingsgurl wrote: You've come this far. Start a Chip In and you should raise $360 easy!

GREAT idea! I've sent some $$ to help out...c'mon folks - let's get 'er done! :headbang:
Rachael
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 pm

"Hello! I'm stinkin cute!"

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs