B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby Kahlie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:23 pm

mommy2kane wrote:
Kahlie wrote:Has anyone ever heard of that line of logic? More bone than meat? How's that nutritious?

Could you possibly have misunderstood? Honest question. I'm on a raw group that discusses cats and dogs. I remember reading that cats don't need as MUCH bone as dogs. So maybe they were trying to say that dogs need more bone -- not more bone than meat, just more bone than a cat would require?

Fair question, but no. I don't want to go too deep into who/where this is, in case they come on here, and I don't want to seem as though I'm doing what I am in fact doing (talking behind her back), but that said, this has been bugging me.

It's been outright asserted that dogs require more bone than meat in their diet. Period. I wager that the instruction of more bone than cats, was lost in translation to the person who I was discussing with. And then just ... continued further.

We argued the point of how, "in the wild", no carnivore (or opportunistic omnivore) would eat a frame of an animal on a regular basis. Though she said if a pack took down an animal, they would. (?)

My primary problem is that this isn't a private conversation between people. It's actually at a place that makes, and sells raw food.
Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:18 pm

OK I need some major help. My dog was on RAW for the longest time but the brand we fed apparently changed the formula and made him sick and all itchy so we switched back to kibble. However I noticed he doesn't do as well on kibble as he did on RAW so I would like to switch him again. However he will not eat it and I am at a loss as to what to do. I am trying to do the pre-made stuff in patties which he used to love since it is convenient for me to do since I have school etc but he won't touch it.

Are there any alternatives? For those who do BARF type thing do you grind it up or just cut it up how is it done? How do I go about switching him back to RAW so that he will eat it.

I am at a loss
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I have done a LOT of reading and I am having so big issues right now that I may post about today, so I may not be the best source of advice....that said. What I have read is that you can try quickly searing the meat on both sides to entice them to want to eat. Obviously don't cook a lot and no microwave.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

or sprinkle parmesan cheese on it
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Day 2..he now tries to roll in it...my dog is truly special
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:13 pm

OMG you should have seen the look my girl gave me when I started her... hahaha...

She actually picked up a chicken liver, and GACKED it out of her mouth and gave me the most HORRIFIED disgusted face EVER! I about died roflmao

For those people first starting, we found the best way was just to by whole chickens and portion them out, a 5lb chicken feeds my girl for 4 days, so I literally quarter it, and she just gets a quarter a day. 3 Days a week she gets organ meat with her chicken, liver, gizards, kidney, heart, and lung when I can find it *I just do a coarse chop of all this and freeze it in large ice cubes, she gets 3 or 4 cubes on organ nights. 3 nights a week *alternate nights of organ meat* she gets ground beef, or pork with green tripe and a whole egg added to her chicken. And on Sundays she gets a Big RMB usually beef, sometimes a lamb leg, or Pork necks if I can't find something bigger.

We use fresh fruit as treats, she's especially fond of banana chips actually... lmao and dried carrot sticks.... wierdo dog!

But she looks AMAZING now, 100% different than on kibble! Won't ever go back. I think I worked it out I was paying $45 a month for TOTW for her, and on Raw I'm paying about $38 a month give or take what the chicken is on sale for.
Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

The only problem with that is my boy is allergic to chicken not sure about turkey though
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:19 pm

pitbullgirlbc wrote:The only problem with that is my boy is allergic to chicken not sure about turkey though

Is he allergic to chicken kibble or raw chicken. Generally speaking if they are allergic to the kibble form they more than likely will not be allergic to the raw. Something about what the cooking process does to change the protein :dunno:

Khan is allergic to chicken as well. I have been using a lot of turkey. I bought some chicken, but we haven't tried it yet. Once I can get his poop issues worked out we will be trying it and hopefully he will be fine with it. You can get chicken much cheaper than turkey usually.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Try freezing it? Maybelle refused to touch her meat until I froze it, which consequently taught her how to chew.
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:48 pm

OK can someone give me some examples of making your own RAW food diet without having to ground it up?

I think he is having a problem with the texture as well as I think it is a vegetable that they use as well that he does not like. Any example would be great I cannot keep going with the current stuff he hates it he detests it but it is funny he will eat chunks of meat that I used to get from the pet store a long time ago.

Thanks

amber
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:22 pm

What are you feeding....BARF or Prey model?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Hoping to do prey model
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:27 pm

i feed prey model, and my dog's chewing on a deer leg right now lol
Amber - do you have a yard? or i suppose you could feed in a crate. if you want to try some deer, let me know. i can give you a couple chunks of deer ribs to test out.
deer has a stronger/gamier smell than beef, so if you're sensitive and not used to it, it can be nicer to feed outside (i'm used to it, so i don't smell much of a difference anymore). but the dogs seem to love it! :thumbsup:
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Khan has had some poop issues on and off. Today I just started feeding 1 meal a day instead of 2 to try and eliminate diarrhea and soft serve accidents.

Starting out I was feeding bone in every meal to have consistent hard/normal poop, but as time went on that was too much bone and we were having issues with too hard poop. Everything I have read(and I have read a lot) has starting with bone in every meal. As I said we did turkey instead of chicken. At this point we are up to multiple proteins and less bone.

In the beginning....this is when I was doing 2 meals Khan is 55ish lb so he gets lb a day
Breakfast Turkey neck
Dinner Turkey wing

repeat ;)

Then I added pork
breakfast turkey wing or neck
dinner pork ribs or neck

next day would be all turkey so
turkey neck
turkey wing or turkey wing for both

turkey necks have quite a bit of bone so months later now I rarely feed them.

As you add a new protein you want to try and do it slowly as to not create too much tummy upset, so don't feed 2 or 3 days in a row of the new protein right off the bat.

Now we have been working on getting consistent good poop. Originally I was doing 1 bone meal and 1 boneless, but that was creating hard poop, then soft serve. So I am hoping now that I am doing 1 meal that will stop. I have also currently totally stopped organs for the last few weeks and will start them again once we get things worked out. I would wait to add organ for a while and depending on how things adjust you can start adding them, but add slow or you can expect cannon butt! Make sure your organ is 5% liver.

The current diet is much the same, but more meat...so for example today he had
Turkey wing and boneless turkey chunks=1lb
tomorrow he will have the same
then I will be doing pork neck with boneless turkey=1lb

I hope that helps. I know I have found myself frustrated over time because it seems no one is willing to kind of spell out what they are feeding and it really does depend on the dog and how their system is and poop is. Also I am no expert...I have been doing raw since the end of October and have had some obstacles, but I keep trying to stick at it and get it right lol The difference it has made in Khan's coat and his allergies is absolutely amazing!
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 pm

that was a good description :)
FBODGRL wrote:I hope that helps. I know I have found myself frustrated over time because it seems no one is willing to kind of spell out what they are feeding and it really does depend on the dog and how their system is and poop is.

it really does depend on the dog.
i find that chickens feet are a great way to add just a little bit of bone to those boneless meals, to avoid tapass. nobody likes tapass lol

as far as "menu's" go...
today i fed: chickens foot, blob of lambs kidney, small chunk of frozen liver, and a spoonful of tuna to mix her recovery SA powder in (that was all breakfast, and ammounted to just a couple mouthfuls). dinner was a deer leg. if i had my camera handy i'd shoot a photo of the hairy leg and hoof that's sitting on my floor right now lol

yesterday: about the same for breakfast, dinner was boneless buffalo trim and a couple chickens feet.

sunday: breakfast again (that's pretty standard and routine here), dinner was deer ribs

saturday: breakfast status quo, dinner was deer trim and two chickens feet

umm.. that's as far back as i remember. i pulled out some lamb for tomorrow's dinner tho.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues