As much as I hate it...I think it's time.

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

As much as I hate it...I think it's time.

Postby pitsnok » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:56 pm

I think Boss is ready to find a forever home. He seems to be down in the dumps a bit lately, and I'm quite certain it's because he doesn't get enough time with us. The crating and rotating is working fine, I just want him to be able to be with someone as much as possible...because it's obvious that is his favorite thing.
He is my shadow...is constantly right by my side, even if I just get up to throw something in the trash. He paces and whines if someone goes into the garage...because he knows they haven't left, but also can't see them. He is always cuddling, and demands little more than that.
Boss has learned how to play, he even tugs with me now. He loves to chase balls, and chew on bones.
Although he has opened up more than I ever imagined in the six months that he's been with us, he is still very timid. He cowers if someone's voice is raised, even if it's a happy raised voice. If he ever is told "no", he acts like he is in deep trouble...but he has never been, not here anyway.
He is good with Harlow, but is never left with her unsupervised. I don't know how he would be with male dogs, or other dogs for that matter. Honestly, he is a people-dog. I'm confident he would be best as the only dog in a household, but exceptions could be made if he just absolutely fell in love with the adopter's current dog.

It's my responsibility to disclose that Boss has in fact bitten me twice. However, neither bite broke my skin, just left a little bit of a bruise.
It seems that the first time was out of fear...I was leading him into his crate before he learned to "go in his bed", and he turned and bit. When I reflect on it, I think my putting hands on him felt threatening to him, and the bite was a defense.
The second time we were playing. I reached down to grab a toy after he backed away from it, and he bit. He could have been guarding the toy, or could have simply gotten too excited in play. After all, he didn't even know HOW to play, or what toys were before he came here.
With that being said, I realize that both instances were entirely my fault. We have worked VERY hard with him on the biting issue. Those were the only two incidents we have had, and both happened months ago.

He needs to go to an experienced home. To someone who uses ONLY positive reinforcement training, and who understands and accepts the issues he has, and has overcome.
Boss is not an active dog. He doesn't need walks, he doesn't compete. Because he is a bit brachycephalic he tires after a short amount of exertion, and snores like a freight train. All he really needs someone to love him as much as we do, and that is able to give him more time and attention than we are able to. I don't feel like our situation of crating and rotating him and Degan & Harlow is fair to any of them, but especially to Boss because he is so connected to, and dependent on his people.

I prefer him to go to someone in my general area...just in case. It will be contracted with whoever adopts him that he WILL come back to me if he ever needed to be rehomed. Plus, I would like know I could visit him if I ever felt up to it.

It is SO....SO unbelievably hard for me to imagine letting him go. I have gotten very connected to him, and him to me. But I want what is best for HIM. He didn't have a good start to his life, and he deserves the absolute best for the rest of it.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: As much as I hate it...I think it's time.

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous dog. I hope he finds a great home. Wish it could be with me. :crybaby:
Aaron
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:51 pm

omgoshhhhhhhhh

send him this way! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby DrAlexSauce » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 pm

goodluck to you and boss!
DrAlexSauce
Newborn Bully

Postby merriterrier » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Have you considered contacting a rescue and having them courtesy list him for you?

pitsnok wrote:
He is good with Harlow, but is never left with her unsupervised. I don't know how he would be with male dogs, or other dogs for that matter. Honestly, he is a people-dog. I'm confident he would be best as the only dog in a household, but exceptions could be made if he just absolutely fell in love with the adopter's current dog.

It's my responsibility to disclose that Boss has in fact bitten me twice. However, neither bite broke my skin, just left a little bit of a bruise.
It seems that the first time was out of fear...I was leading him into his crate before he learned to "go in his bed", and he turned and bit. When I reflect on it, I think my putting hands on him felt threatening to him, and the bite was a defense.
The second time we were playing. I reached down to grab a toy after he backed away from it, and he bit. He could have been guarding the toy, or could have simply gotten too excited in play. After all, he didn't even know HOW to play, or what toys were before he came here.
With that being said, I realize that both instances were entirely my fault. We have worked VERY hard with him on the biting issue. Those were the only two incidents we have had, and both happened months ago.

He needs to go to an experienced home. To someone who uses ONLY positive reinforcement training, and who understands and accepts the issues he has, and has overcome.
Boss is not an active dog. He doesn't need walks, he doesn't compete. Because he is a bit brachycephalic he tires after a short amount of exertion, and snores like a freight train. All he really needs someone to love him as much as we do, and that is able to give him more time and attention than we are able to. I don't feel like our situation of crating and rotating him and Degan & Harlow is fair to any of them, but especially to Boss because he is so connected to, and dependent on his people.

I prefer him to go to someone in my general area...just in case. It will be contracted with whoever adopts him that he WILL come back to me if he ever needed to be rehomed. Plus, I would like know I could visit him if I ever felt up to it.

Honestly you have a lot of really specific requirements. Which is understandable (and good). But it is going to make him a much harder dog to place. Here are some considerations.

Experienced homes typically already have a dog (or 2) that is part of the reason they are experienced. There are quality experienced homes without other dogs, but let's be honest, experienced homes typically want dogs who can do things like compete, not work out a laundry list of problems. You may be able to find one of the few experienced homes with no dogs who want a project, but it might be hard. His issues go beyond DA which is relatively easy to manage.

A dog with a bite history is a liability. Even though we as dog people can see how the instances you mentioned were not his fault, the rest of society doesn't see it that way. They see another Pit Bull who bites. This will make it imperative that he only be placed in a responsible home or he could become another bite statistic. You personally could even be responsible financially if he bites someone after adoption.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Those are just a couple observations based on this post only. Sorry, I don't know any other background info.

Did you get him intending to adopt him out, or did you get him as a member of your family?
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enamorada » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:41 pm

I really hope you find him the right home soon. He seems like a wonderful dog..gorgeous to boot. Keep us updated!
Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby pitsnok » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:06 am

Thank you guys for the encouraging words. I apologize for the delayed reply, I haven't been able to really sit down and catch up for a while.

merriterrier wrote:Have you considered contacting a rescue and having them courtesy list him for you?

merriterrier wrote:Honestly you have a lot of really specific requirements. Which is understandable (and good). But it is going to make him a much harder dog to place. Here are some considerations.

Experienced homes typically already have a dog (or 2) that is part of the reason they are experienced. There are quality experienced homes without other dogs, but let's be honest, experienced homes typically want dogs who can do things like compete, not work out a laundry list of problems. You may be able to find one of the few experienced homes with no dogs who want a project, but it might be hard. His issues go beyond DA which is relatively easy to manage.

A dog with a bite history is a liability. Even though we as dog people can see how the instances you mentioned were not his fault, the rest of society doesn't see it that way. They see another Pit Bull who bites. This will make it imperative that he only be placed in a responsible home or he could become another bite statistic. You personally could even be responsible financially if he bites someone after adoption.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Those are just a couple observations based on this post only. Sorry, I don't know any other background info.

Did you get him intending to adopt him out, or did you get him as a member of your family?

He was a stray. He and another showed up to my mom's house in September. Ollie went to a home a couple of months ago. http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139361&hilit=+boss+and+ollie

We had only planned on getting them vetted, neutered, and more comfortable in a home environment then finding them homes. We already had our two, and Degan isn't exactly fond of new dogs... I had a few rescue groups willing to post courtesy listings when we were ready.
But then the biting issue happened. I went back and forth for weeks about whether he needed to be put down, or kept, could he be adopted, or did we now have to keep him, etc. I even had a forum friend in Maryland offer to take him on, as she's very experienced with these situations, and I'm not. I took advice of others and practiced NILIF, crate games, lots of treats, etc...and since then he has done a complete 180. This is the situation that I refer to requiring an 'experienced' owner. I'm not talking someone who shows and competes... I don't think those are the only things that qualify someone as experienced. Especially not in our area. We really don't have a lot of dog sports or activities. Pretty much everyone just has pet dogs... and Boss is perfect for that...When I say an 'experienced person', I just mean a responsible 'dog person' who gets the situation. Honestly I don't consider Boss to be a "project" dog at this point...he definitely was when we first brought him home, but I think he is past that. Sure, he isn't perfect, but a 'laundry list of problems' is stretching it a bit.
He would be perfect for someone who just wants a companion...and doesn't mind snoring lol .

I am being up front about the biting so that anyone interested in him will know-- from the beginning -- what has happened, and that makes me feel okay about the liability issue.

I don't think he needs to be in a one-dog home, I just think that'd be best for him since he wants to be with people so much. Degan and Harlow, for example, will play with each other without even giving me a second glance, but when Boss is with Harlow he plays some, but mostly still just wants to sit by me, or on my lap. He's simple...

I haven't gotten back into contact with the rescue groups yet, just because it has only been in the past week or so that I finally decided that he's ready enough.

I realize all of my requirements are going to make it really difficult for me to find a home, but I have no problem with that. I don't feel that I'm asking any more than an actual rescue group would. And if no one ever adopts him, then so be it. It doesn't hurt to try though! :dunno:
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby merriterrier » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:43 pm

I wasn't trying to be hard on you. sorry if it came off as such.

I just have a hard time since I have been doing this for all my adult life, and I have seen so many dogs like Boss who end up f-d b/c people thought they should rehome/adopt them.

pitsnok wrote:But then the biting issue happened. I went back and forth for weeks about whether he needed to be put down, or kept, could he be adopted, or did we now have to keep him, etc. I even had a forum friend in Maryland offer to take him on, as she's very experienced with these situations, and I'm not. I took advice of others and practiced NILIF, crate games, lots of treats, etc...and since then he has done a complete 180. This is the situation that I refer to requiring an 'experienced' owner. I'm not talking someone who shows and competes... I don't think those are the only things that qualify someone as experienced. Especially not in our area. We really don't have a lot of dog sports or activities. Pretty much everyone just has pet dogs... and Boss is perfect for that...When I say an 'experienced person', I just mean a responsible 'dog person' who gets the situation.

No, not all experienced homes compete, but a lot do, and a lot don't want a problem dog. Most "experienced" homes know what a liability a dog who has bit someone in the face is. Even if you have NILF'ed it away, you don't know what will happen outside of the safe environment of your home/family. Dogs backslide.

I didn't say you were asking "too much." I actually said being specific is a good thing:
merriterrier wrote:
Honestly you have a lot of really specific requirements. Which is understandable (and good). But it is going to make him a much harder dog to place. Here are some considerations.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitsnok » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 pm

merriterrier wrote:I wasn't trying to be hard on you. sorry if it came off as such.

Don't worry, I understand where you're coming from. But please just know I have Boss's best interest in mind. I'm not just trying to get rid of him, and like I said, if we never find the perfect place, so be it. We are making due now, and we will continue to for as long as necessary.

merriterrier wrote:
No, not all experienced homes compete, but a lot do, and a lot don't want a problem dog. Most "experienced" homes know what a liability a dog who has bit someone in the face is. Even if you have NILF'ed it away, you don't know what will happen outside of the safe environment of your home/family. Dogs backslide.

(Just to clarify he didn't bite my face... it was my wrist both times, and neither broke the skin.)

Believe me I have been over all of that in my head non-stop. I do know he could backslide, but I also know that he improved from the condition he was in when he came to me, so he could improve again when really allowed to flourish. I really believe dogs are resilient and can bounce back from things, especially when in the right hands.

There are always 'what if's and things that could happen but in this case I truly believe it would benefit Boss, and all of us for him to belong somewhere that he gets more one-on-one interaction.
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby merriterrier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:55 am

Well, good luck with him.

I hope all your work was effective! :thumbsup:
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitsnok » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:29 am

merriterrier wrote:Well, good luck with him.

I hope all your work was effective! :thumbsup:

Thank you. I have a feeling he's never leaving, but I'm just trying to stay positive, haha.
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Luna_Redmoon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I wish you were closer to me... Im currently in TN about to move to FL.
I have a few dogs on my own, but was actually thinking of finding a younger dog. Even a male (my fiance says he is over run by females lol) and my male is being left with my mom as she has grown too attached to him and he loves the company of her pit/ridgeback mix cooper. they are like best buds and i cant take his friend away from him... they grew up together.

all the dogs i have had excluding bailey and riley (brother and sister) have been rescues and have had some kind of issues. i guess you could say i like the challenge and working with the dogs and training is my passion because i love to see the improvements. even bailey is getting along with cats now and that was an issue since her previous owner returned her back to me.

the biting thing doesnt even bother me. my oldest dog, and first rescue, Lou Lou, bit me on my arm when I first got her off the street. She was pregnant, and starving, and it was cold and raining, so i understood her reasons. now she gets along with everyone and has only bitten one person one time since. (my next door neighbor who is very arrogant and makes himself "bigger and stronger and better than everyone" kinda guy so i dont blame her... i cant stand him either XD )

and Boss is gorgeous to boot! He deserves a good home, and if you cant find one close to you, i do hope you keep him. just more work and im sure everything would work in harmony. <3

I wish you the best of luck anyways!
Luna_Redmoon
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs