Prices...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Prices...

Postby phez718 » Thu May 20, 2004 7:04 pm

I haven't had a dog in quite some time, 7 years to be exact, and even then my parents took care of it. So now I'm getting my very own dog and would like to know the prices of Heartgard and Frontline(he is about 50-55 lbs.) Thanks in advance for all your answers! :thumbsup:
phez718

Postby phez718 » Fri May 21, 2004 4:41 pm

C'mon, does nobody like me anymore or something?
phez718

Postby Justice82003 » Fri May 21, 2004 5:33 pm

The cheepest I have found is on the net at Dr. foster & smith, the addy is http://www.drsfostersmith.com/. Frontline is 23.99 for a three month supply and frontline plus is 27.59, that is for weight's 45-88 lb's. Heartguard is 18.27 for three months and heartguard plus is 16.47(cheeper then the regular, that weird huh). Both of the heart guards are cheeper the more you buy.

Here is the link right to the flea and tick stuff....
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/N ... 001+113378

And here is the link right to the heart worm prevenative......
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/S ... e=4&N=3001

Joe
Justice82003

Postby phez718 » Fri May 21, 2004 6:05 pm

Thanks a lot Justice!
phez718

Postby BabyReba » Sat May 22, 2004 6:54 pm

I get mine from Omaha Vaccine, www.omahavaccine.com

Prices are decent, like $28 for 6 mos. of Heartgard, and 25 for 3 mos. of Frontline, plus shipping. You just need a scrip from your vet.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby turtle » Sat May 22, 2004 7:02 pm

Try searching ebay for the Frontline, it is usually much cheaper there.

You can not get the Heartguard without a prescription from your vet and many vets don't like to give you one since they would rather sell the medicine to you at a higher price.

If you can get a Rx from your vet, there are several vet supplies on line which have low prices. I remember seeing a 6 month supply of the medium Heartguard Plus on line for about $14.

There is also a place in Australia which sells a heartworm preventative without a prescription from a vet, it has the same ingredients, which is Ivermectin. You can actually get the 1% Ivermectin for swine and dose it by weight for dogs, but be sure to only use the 1% Invermectin and nothing else

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby phez718 » Sun May 23, 2004 9:15 am

I know prices vary, but what about the cost of getting them from the vet?
phez718

Postby elegy » Sun May 23, 2004 10:43 am

the vet where i work sells at just under the cost of petmeds + shipping when you buy three months of frontline/advantix/etc or 6 months of heartgard/interceptor. it's a negligible price difference, like 50 cents to a dollar depending on the size, but it is less.

i'm much more comfortable purchasing stuff like that from my vet. if something goes wrong, there is somebody there to back it up.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby turtle » Sun May 23, 2004 2:26 pm

Well, I think the key to the prices mentioned above is "the vet where i work" as customers don't get the same prices by any means.

In the town I am in currently, it costs $200 just to walk in the door as a new patient and this is what they call the "initial" visit, not including if your dog is sick. That's highway robbery.... So I do not take my dog to any local vet, I do the minor stuff myself and hope I have no emergencies. If I did, I would have to drive 50 miles and go to a farm vet who is more reasonable, about $35 for an office visit.

If you work at a vet's office, you get a discount, if you are a walk in, it depends on the vet.

And I honestly don't see vets always being that much of a help if things go wrong.... For example, look at that Pro Heart 6 heartworm shot. Here is a link to a forum about it:

http://www.i-dog.com/board/messages/46/18660.html?

Dogs are getting sick and dying and all the vets can do is tell you there is no way to remove that 6 months of poison which from the shot from your dog's body...

So I can not see what help a vet would be when the vet is the one giving this death shot in the first place?

Of course not all vets are bad nor incompetent, but one should realize that some are... and that vets are not infallible.

Another useful site about dog reactions to drugs is:

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/

And a Merck vet manual is a good reference to have on hand.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KimS » Sat May 29, 2004 9:58 pm

Hi Ash, I've had great results from K-9 Advantix. No script necessary. Works for fleas, mosquitos and ticks. Ivermectin for heartworm preventative. I have no need to go to the vet except for minor checkups so I order most everything, including vet medications, vaccines, etc., via vet catalogues and online veternarian sites. As mentioned earlier, all you really would need to do is go to your vet and buy it there. Most vets have these things in stock.
KimS

Postby elegy » Sat May 29, 2004 10:31 pm

Well, I think the key to the prices mentioned above is "the vet where i work" as customers don't get the same prices by any means.

no, that's the price to clients. i only get 20% off that, fwiw.

some companies will not back their guarantee if they are dispensed by someone other than a vet. ie, if your dog gets heartworms while on preventative, they will not pay for treatment if you bought it from petmeds, etc.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby apbtboxermom » Sun May 30, 2004 6:57 pm

I went to Dr Fosters & Smith to check it out. The product may cost less, but the shipping charges were way, way, over priced. Check it out. All you need to do is add the product to your cart & proceed to checkout, you'll faint when you see the shipping charges. The cheapest I've found are at Omaha Vaccine. My vet lives 1/2 hour away, it would be cheaper for me to order on line, due to the high gas prices, less wear & tear on me!
apbtboxermom

Return to Health Issues